SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Bulgarian St Stephen Church (Bulgarian: (желязната ) църква свети Стефан; Turkish: Sveti Stefan Kilisesi) in Istanbul, also known as the Bulgarian Iron Church, is a Bulgarian Orthodox church in Istanbul, famous for being made of cast iron. Built in 1896 at the place of first wooden Bulgarian Church.

The church belongs to the Bulgarian minority. The Bulgarians of the Ottoman Empire used to pray at the churches of the Phanar Orthodox Patriarchy, but due to nationalistic movements, Bulgarians were allowed a national church in the 19th century.

Thanks to kuvacci

·
Banned
29,118 Posts
Wow! what a nice church! :)

·
hlubach bubach
7,383 Posts
cute church :)

:cheers:

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
Wow, what a great church. Who would ever have thought it was made from cast iron. :eek:

·
-----------
18,208 Posts
Pic from 1898

Inauguration 1897

early 20th century

Stamp of Rudolf Phlip Waagner - the producer of the iron cast elements

Today

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Its very beautiful, needs repairs.
Is it privately or public owned? If the latter, then it says something about the priorities of public spending. I've heard critics claim that the old churches of the armenians are being allowed to deteriorate and also buildings from classical times. Everything non-muslim basically - I REALLY HOPE this is not true. Can someone with better knowledge than me shed some light on this?

·
-----------
18,208 Posts
Is it privately or public owned? If the latter, then it says something about the priorities of public spending. I've heard critics claim that the old churches of the armenians are being allowed to deteriorate and also buildings from classical times. Everything non-muslim basically - I REALLY HOPE this is not true. Can someone with better knowledge than me shed some light on this?
^^ It is property of the Bulgarian community in Istanbul(around 600-650 people atm). A campaign for gathering money for it's restoration was started in 2004 in Bulgaria and in Istanbul. So far the foundations were rehabilitated and now the church is secured, as there was danger for it to collapse in the Golden Horn ... I read that also the icons, the iconostasis, the roof and the church convent were also renovated during the last years ... Now let's hope enough money will be gathered to continue the restoration with the rest of the interior and exterior of St. Stefan.

Bulgarian and Turkish music orcestras make concerts inside of it from time to time , in order to help for the gathering of the necessary money.

A photo from 12th April this year - you can see the renovated iconostatis on it :

Here's a 360 degree view of the Church location and another photos:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts