1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Istanbul Canyon is the building in the rear with lights:

Owned by Eczacibasi Group

http://www.eczacibasi.com.tr

The shopping mall section brings many new brands, including the first Barnes&Noble bookstore which is the most important one for me.

Details of the project:

Design: The Jerde Partnership (Los Angeles)

Project Management: Arup Associates (London)

·
Banned
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Turkish Prime Minister Joins Celebrations as Istanbul Unveils Its Vision of 21st Century Living

LONDON--(BUSINESS WIRE)--May 29, 2006--

It isn't every day that a country's Prime Minister turns up to open a new shopping and residential development but tomorrow, Tuesday 30 May, at 15:00 hrs, the Turkish Premier, His Excellency Recep Tayyip Erdogan lends his support to the inauguration of Kanyon, a 'city within a city' in Levent, Istanbul.

The $200 million development is a clear indication of the face of modern Turkey. This combined with the recent announcement that seminal architect Zaha Hadid has won the international competition to work on a new master plan for the city shows Turkey's determination to bring Istanbul to the fore among the world's cities.

Indeed, Kanyon is no ordinary development. Its creators have set themselves the not inconsiderable task of redefining urban living for modern Istanbul. A fusion of 179 residential apartments, a 26 story office block and nearly 40,000square meters of retail space. With its opening today, Istanbul has gained a vibrant new destination neighbourhood in the city.

Kanyon combines its luxury residences, local and upscale retailers and state-of-the-art offices in an organic, open-air design that includes an amphitheatre, plazas and rooftop park spaces where workers, residents and visitors can gather. The unique design, which is distinct from Istanbul's many mixed-use districts and enclosed shopping malls, has helped attract stylish residents and many well-known retail brands that are new to Turkey.

Kanyon is a partnership between the Eczacibasi Holding Company and IS Real Estate Investment Trust, a division of Isbank, two of Turkey's largest and most important companies.

Markus Lehto, Managing Director of Kanyon says:

'Kanyon is the result of many years' hard work and the great vision of IS Real Estate Investment Co. and Eczacibai. It is a totally new approach to mixed use development, putting the needs of humans before everything else. For the retail area, natural light, green space, high-touch design, cutting edge local and global brands, all combine in a streetscape setting and create a truly magical environment, offering both locals and visitors a chance to experience something unique and memorable.'

The designers for Kanyon are the Jerde Partnership the world's leading 'experiential' architectural practice and creators of such awe inspiring Japanese schemes as Roppongi Hills, Tokyo and Canal City, Fukuoka. Together with Turkey's leading architectural practice Tabanlioglu and world renowned ARUP engineering, Kanyon stands out as a one of a kind project in the West.

Kanyon is a bold and visionary development that sets new benchmarks for the modern international city and is a clear indication of Turkey's progress as it strengthens its position as a major centre for tourism, commerce and the arts.

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,076 Posts
Here are my comments from the relevant thread by messiah

gm2263 said:
:applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause::applause:

Congratulations to the construction companies, as well as to Kerem and the other photogaphers for bringing this beauty to our screens.

Istanbul getting better day by day, and me feeling the call of the city of the Three empires, like the agitation of a vampire in a full mun when I see these pics. Damn I wish I was in the opening ceremony with my camera :wallbash: .... But Anyways, Kerem's job is excellent as usual...

Istanbul Rocks, with its Kanyons, regardless of spelling. :)

gm2263 said:
Images speak for themselves. Had this beauty been built in any other European city, the whole hell would have broken loose. It's what Asim calls "the guilty silence".

Only thing, I wish I was there when this beauty opened...

and

gm2263 said:
"but it's nothing particular, what's happening with Istanbul and its shopping centre/ highrises combinations, that's nothing significant architecturally, Istanbul's projects are second rate compered to (fill in with the name of any European city over 1 million inhabitants), it's nothing special, blah blah blah..."

I mean I quote the usual comments so that they will not have to repeat them.

"That's it, let me feel your anger" ----> to paraphrase the Emperor in Star Wars Episode VI... :D

Bull. OK, it is not the size of the Rockefeller centre but this project Rocks as it combines open public spaces, design and concept originality, a proper height to not go unnoticed in any European city (OK, not enough for the Pudong district in Shanghai but that's another story) and it fills yet another empty spot in Levent whose highrise density is ideal in my view. For the hardcore density lovers, there's always Maslak, but Levent gives you the aura of breathing space you may need to appreciate the height of the structures.

And we wait for the big ones (read Diamonds and the Dubai twins)...
Nothing more to add, other than that I agree about the Barnes and Noble... Interesting bookstores, I went to the one in Bayside in Queens NY. Interesting... :)

·
Made in Turkey
6,793 Posts
There is no Barnes and Nobles in Kanyon.. I know they were supposed to be but could not see them at the list of brands and the two times when I've visited Kanyon. I didn't see the whole area though but I guess B&N didn't make it to Kanyon... Sad.. :(

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,076 Posts
Still, my understanding is that there must have been a dozen of premieres or so...

and BTW, as a standalone shopping centre, with a Gross Leasable Space close to 40,000 square metres, how does this rank overall in Istanblue? Big, but not as gargantuan as the Sisli one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts