1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cipriani Wins Bid for Italian Makeover of a West Side Pier
Well I don't know if it belongs here, but here's from today's NYT:

Hudson River Park Trust
An artist's depiction of the joint proposal for the Leonardo at Pier 57. It would include the city's largest banquet hall, and a branch of the Leonardo da Vinci Museum in Milan that would feature Leonardo's work.
By CHARLES V. BAGLI
Published: April 7, 2005

fter 18 months of review and a fierce battle between two rival bidders, a state park board has chosen a group led by Giuseppe Cipriani, scion of the family behind Harry's Bar in Venice, to transform a dilapidated 880-foot pier at 15th Street and the Hudson River into a development of museums, stores and cultural workshops with an Italian theme.

The board's decision infuriated the losing bidder, Chelsea Piers, whose president, Tom Bernstein, called it "a highly questionable use of the waterfront."

The latest addition planned for the $154 million project, "The Leonardo at Pier 57," is a branch of the Leonardo da Vinci Museum in Milan that would feature a rotating exhibition of the artist's paintings, inventions and other works.

But the project's largest element, and the one that drew the most criticism, is what would be the city's largest banquet hall.

The Leonardo at Pier 57 still faces an environmental review and lease negotiations, but if the developers are successful, it will be the latest element in the development of a five-mile waterfront park along the Hudson River. The Hudson River Park Trust, which controls the pier and selected the development plan, hopes that it will generate enough rent to maintain and expand the park.

"We've gone through a painstaking and transparent process to come up with a great new use for Pier 57," said Charles Dorkey, chairman of the park trust. "While many steps remain, we believe this will be a great addition to the waterfront."

The project would also include a one-acre rooftop park, art galleries, a marina and a branch of the Triennale di Milano design museum. Mr. Cipriani, who operates the Rainbow Room, would operate the banquet hall and event space. His partners are Steven C. Witkoff, a developer, and Plaza Construction.

"Giuseppe and I feel this is going to be an opportunity to create a waterfront development that will attract people from the city and well beyond," Mr. Witkoff said

But Mr. Bernstein said that the Leonardo's banquet hall would cause enormous traffic problems and compete with similar event spaces at Chelsea Piers, the sports complex three blocks north of Pier 57.

"It's hard to believe that putting in the city's largest banquet hall is the best use of the waterfront," he said. "The parking and traffic problems are still unresolved."

Mr. Dorkey said that the board felt that Cipriani-Witkoff proposal offered more public space, a better design, new cultural attractions and a better economic deal for the park.

In its losing bid, Chelsea Piers had proposed a family swimming center and a marina, with space for art galleries and studios.
===================================
alright, go Chelsea!
It will make the area even more enjoyable

·
Registered
167 Posts
It looks spiffy...
Still I believe that Mnahattan should be careful with those exotic projects...otherwise it may loose some of its essence. Why the Italian style? I do not think that the Italian Theme is the best solution for that location. The design strikes me..it looks like pack of vanillas.....not very Newyorkish if you ask me.

·
Registered
946 Posts
KOKOLOGIST said:
It looks spiffy...
Still I believe that Mnahattan should be careful with those exotic projects...otherwise it may loose some of its essence. Why the Italian style? I do not think that the Italian Theme is the best solution for that location. The design strikes me..it looks like pack of vanillas.....not very Newyorkish if you ask me.
Well, most of the building is there already. What you see in that rendering is not much more than what is there already. Now its just dilapidated and empty. They're keeping the structure, they're jsut adding some new external elements, and completely redoing the inside (which i assume is completely empty now).

·
Registered
946 Posts
3tmk said:
I'm commenting on whether or not it was the pier they locked up the hundred of protesters, since I remember they said the place was dirty and falling apart.
That plays a role in the reconstruction of the place.
I don't see what's the problem here?
I was refering to "when Dubya forced us to have him here." I just think its inappropriate to inject politics into our discussions here.

·
Super Moderator
11,326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
when have I not injected politics in any of my posts? ;)
everyone knows I have a trollish side, and it gets switched on when I'm talking about him.
as well as football (Chelsea has always been pissing me off, also Valencia and of course OM) monarchy, communism, fascism, and religion, mainly anti-choice activists
I'll just edit the post since you have a problem with that.
back to a similar subject, does anyone know what will they do with those abandoned piers near the Trump Place development on the West Side? I hope they leave them as they are, they look great IMO

·
Registered
946 Posts
3tmk said:
when have I not injected politics in any of my posts? ;)
everyone knows I have a trollish side, and it gets switched on when I'm talking about him.
as well as football (Chelsea has always been pissing me off, also Valencia and of course OM) monarchy, communism, fascism, and religion, mainly anti-choice activists
I'll just edit the post since you have a problem with that.
back to a similar subject, does anyone know what will they do with those abandoned piers near the Trump Place development on the West Side? I hope they leave them as they are, they look great IMO
Hey, don't worry about it too much. You don't have to edit it. Just as a general guideline, try to hold yourself back. I wasn't too offended. No hard feelings.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts