SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 7110 Posts

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've got the idea from this awesome thread on Euroscrapers' Phototeka.
I think it's a good way to admire the scenery and the architecture of a country concentrating on just one picture, rather than smothering with an endless stream of pics that takes hours to load.

Thread rules:
1) Pics must be 1024*whatever format.
2) No more than one picture every day on first come, first served basis.
3) Please respect the progressive numbering.
4) Please put a map of the location.
5) Please try to represent the diversity of the country rather than posting pics from your hometown.
6) Please try to avoid posting pics of places that have already been shown, unless you feel they add something to the thread.
7) Please post pics of the highest standard you can find. No blurry, random shots. No HDR if possible. Only post a picture if you have a great one, do not post it just for the sake of posting it.
8) Please make sure your photo is hosted on a reliable platform, otherwise upload it on a free image hosting site such as Imageshack.us (highly recommended in any case).

2008 summary of posted pics:

Summary of posted pics until May 8, 2009

grey sovereign state

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
1. Segesta is an ancient Greek archaeological site situated in western Sicily, 60 km South-West of Palermo. According to the tradition it was founded by king Acestes, son of the river-god Crinisus. The picture show its hexastyle doric temple, built around 430-420 BC. Its remarkable state of conservation makes it one of the most important surviving Hellenic temples in the world.

deleted by Taller, Better no photo credit

---

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, glad the idea was appreciated.
Now, just because is the first day I'm going to post picture #2.

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
2. A summer view of the Sasslong (the Long Stone), one of the most iconic peaks of the Dolomites, as seen from Fassa Valley. This lone rock is famous for skiing, mountaineering and for the pinky glimps it shows at dusk.

---

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
thanks a lot fredericoft.

Maybe I should do the same with France, but then we'd have too much of these threads on the forum...

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
^^
Oh please do it. Everybody knows the best spots of its own country and it would be useful to share traveling ideas.

We have plenty of spamming threads with tons of pics and nobody seems to complain about that. I think many people would prefer a more restrained way to know another country. :)

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No. :dunno:
They have a strong regional identity but this isn't any different from other regions. Culturally, Sicily is quite homogeneous to the rest of the South.

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
3. The waterfront of Trieste, the capital of Friuli-Venezia Giulia region, on the extreme North-Eastern edge of the country. This city, once the main port an 3rd largest city of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, would shatter most people's preconceptions about Italy. Ethnically mostly Italian, it retains nevertheless a truly multi-cultural inclination, and a strong Central European atmosphere.

---

·
Registered
14,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Homogeneous?
It is a common misconception among foreigners that, since it is an island, it is culturally very distinct from the Mainland.

Well, it isn't. The great cultural divide in Italy is between the North and the South (Central Italy being kind of a borderline). In fact Sicily doesn't differ too much from the rest of the South.

This is less true for Sardinia though, which has a distinct identity in many respects.

·
Registered
7,834 Posts
Nice photo of trieste, the north-east of italy is absolutly unknown to me, does it really feel different than in the north west (Turin, Genoa, Milan...)?

1 - 20 of 7110 Posts