SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Probably not THE worst, but I have a personal hatred for the lot on the S.W. corner of State and Goethe.
I lived across the street from it and it really was an eye sore, plus it really took away from the character of the neighborhood.

·
The City
5,935 Posts
Ahh, but there are so many..

I personally give that collective honor to the sea of parking around the Roosevelt/Canal shopping centers and the Division/Halsted shopping centers (it's a tie!) because 1) they were built so recently against our better judgement and 2) they are not stand alone lots but are instead parking for large big box retailers and thus the hope for them to be redeveloped any time soon is very slim.

·
Urbane observer
1,549 Posts
Wolf Point. Harrison & Dearborn. South of NBC Tower.

There's nothing bad about the parking lots there; it's just that they'd be wonderful building sites. Though Harrison/Dearborn would also make a wonderful European-style urban plaza, since it's properly fronted by buildings on all sides.

·
Chicago Enthusiast
2,560 Posts
Wolf Point. Harrison & Dearborn. South of NBC Tower.

There's nothing bad about the parking lots there; it's just that they'd be wonderful building sites. Though Harrison/Dearborn would also make a wonderful European-style urban plaza, since it's properly fronted by buildings on all sides.
completely agree. We can save those for the next boom.

Its also funny to think Waterview was a surface lot and the Spire site was an empty lot.

·
Registered
179 Posts
wasn't that lot south of NBC tower supposed to have a 1000' or at least a 900'???

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
I would say the

1) Parking lot south across Union Station on Jackson/Canal
2) Lakeshore aethilic club and its lot just south of Nordstroms on Wasbash/Hubbard

·
Chicago Enthusiast
2,560 Posts
I would say the

1) Parking lot south across Union Station on Jackson/Canal
2) Lakeshore aethilic club and its lot just south of Nordstroms on Wasbash/Hubbard
How could I forget about this??? I live next door to this waste of space!! The LAC is currently shut down and now Mars corp owns the land after they purchased Wrigley. My building management office gets weekly/monthly updates on this site and I will report if I hear anything.

·
Jack-Of-All-Trades
1,391 Posts
Pritzker Park. It's an empty lot and it's on the surface, so it qualifies.

It's evil because it looks wrong. The ENTIRE area around it has been built up, between Harold Washington, the University Center dorms, and others, but it remains empty. Plus, it affords a sweeping vista of the backsides of a bunch of buildings, which you usually don't see in the Loop since all new or old buildings pretty much fill the lot lines.

Since you see the backs of all those buildings, it feels more like a gaping wound in the urban fabric than a beneficial "open space".

And I haven't even gotten started on the homeless people.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I vote for the lot that was the old Chicago Merc. Just absolutely senseless they tore that building down. Huge, one block worth of empty lot, right in the middle of the finical district. It pisses me off every time I look at, especially when I remember how awesome the interior and exterior of that building was :eek:hno:

·
Registered
502 Posts
I vote for the lot that was the old Chicago Merc. Just absolutely senseless they tore that building down. Huge, one block worth of empty lot, right in the middle of the finical district. It pisses me off every time I look at, especially when I remember how awesome the interior and exterior of that building was :eek:hno:
I agree with the choice of the old Merc site, which is a huge site that includes the lot to the north of the Merc. This site is on the west side of Franklin, running from Washington to Randolph.

By the way, in 2002, with the Merc still standing and demolition looming, Preservation Chicago had a group of protesters, each with a huge letter, spell out the phrase "ANOTHER BLOCK 37?"

·
Registered
502 Posts
Across from Holy Name Cathedral

Oh, my vote for the number two worst surface lot is the entire block bounded by State, Chicago, Dearborn, and Superior.

There are several small buildings along Dearborn, but this block is otherwise barren. It is mostly owned by the Archdiocese.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Oh, my vote for the number two worst surface lot is the entire block bounded by State, Chicago, Dearborn, and Superior.

There are several small buildings along Dearborn, but this block is otherwise barren. It is mostly owned by the Archdiocese.
I forgot about those lots; that stretch of State and Dearborn is very disapointing

1 - 13 of 13 Posts