SkyscraperCity banner

361 - 380 of 639 Posts

·
Resident Ignoramus
4,080 Posts
I am checking google earth and it still looks out of place and shit. It they had built it at the back of the pie factory it would look like it fitted in but next to the Lowry and IWM? It clashes and looks bad.
It might be worth pointing out that it isn't finished yet.

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
If the new Coronation Street will be on this site, then they will need to find a way of reducing background noise. The Hovis factory makes a lot of noise with lorries, sirens, machines.

·
was Local lad
3,405 Posts
I dont think being next to the Hovis plant would be any more noisy than being in the middle of the city with various railways right outside, police sirens etc?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Wont the big facades help keep noise away from the set? I'm looking forward to seeing this months photos on the Mediacity timeline website

·
Banned
6,512 Posts
this is a truly disgusting pile of shite to have on the banks of the canal.

Pathetic. Beyond pathetic, disgraceful carbuncle.

What a waste.

·
10th February 2008
58,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
Somone posted this on Twitter
A cladding of Coronation Street characters and famous scenes would have been a great idea.(thank you, I know) It would have eventually become a tourist attraction, bringing more people to the home of the Coronation Street set, the IWMN, Mediacity, and the Quays.

·
Registered
20,821 Posts
They rejected allowing tours, the tourists get in the way of filming. However believe me the perimeter will have scenes and hoardings up just like the BBC buildings are plastered in advertising for their shows thats rotated now and then.

·
10th February 2008
58,855 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
They rejected allowing tours, the tourists get in the way of filming. However believe me the perimeter will have scenes and hoardings up just like the BBC buildings are plastered in advertising for their shows thats rotated now and then.
They will come.

Coach loads of Grannies from all over the place.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I think they do plan to have billboards placed on the sides of the studio buildings

I found another picture over on Twitter, though there's nowt much new.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
jrb said:
They will come.

Coach loads of Grannies from all over the place.
Indeed. And they'll all be disappointed. Security will be very tight, and any sight lines of the lot will be only from the high rise(s) opposite.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Not taken from the best angle - but noticed yesterday that the structure of the houses on the street itself is on it's way up. You can see the red frame to the right of the studios :)

·
Engineer
1,318 Posts
I did see an article about Bill Roache testing out the new cobbles, so they might have been laid already?
http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ache-tests-out-new-Coronation-Street-set.html

The final surfacing would normally be the last thing to go down so that it doesn't get damaged, but with new cobbles you might want to get them trafficked a bit so they don't look new...

edit: now "read" the "article" - that doesn't look like the new set (not enough mud) in the picture, and the text says they are moving "cobble by cobble" - that'll take a while!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yeah, I wasnt sure what to make of it, due to the quality of The Sun's reporting. I figured the article might still be about the new set, though they decided to use a stock picture of Bill exiting the current set.

·
Mancunian Member
7,168 Posts
Maybe they should have a storyline where Wetherfield Council tarmac the street, to the disgust of the residents (when really the cobbles have actually been moved to their new home) - in which the street gets together to get the cobbles reinstated, eventually winning, just in time for the new set to open! :lol:

Storyline (c) Chogmook :cheers:

361 - 380 of 639 Posts