SkyscraperCity banner

21 - 40 of 639 Posts

·
BlackFriars
443 Posts
''Demolition firm to take axe to Coronation Street''

I thought at first it was the end for Coronation St. If a relative kept vomitting the same stuff up continously every night of the week i'd want a swift end for them. Fifty years is too long for this Acorn Antiques style show which seems to be populated now by prima dona teenage amdrams who are depriving Sainburys of checkout operators

·
Banned
3,781 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
''Demolition firm to take axe to Coronation Street''

I thought at first it was the end for Coronation St. If a relative kept vomitting the same stuff up continously every night of the week i'd want a swift end for them. Fifty years is too long for this Acorn Antiques style show which seems to be populated now by prima dona teenage amdrams who are depriving Sainburys of checkout operators
Never understood comments like the above. I don't like many TV series, I don't watch them and therefore get over it! Don't mind Corrie, but I miss most episodes due to having other things to do. Perhaps you need a telly with an off switch, or some other interests in your life!

·
Registered
17,482 Posts
Noisy seagulls 'ruin Corrie move plans'

Wednesday, January 20 2010, 09:49 GMT

By Daniel Kilkelly, Entertainment Reporter

Coronation Street star Craig Gazey has revealed that seagulls have scuppered plans to relocate the soap to Salford's MediaCity UK development.

Earlier this month, it emerged that talks had reopened with The Peel Group over shifting the show from its current base at Quay Street in Manchester.

However, Gazey - who plays Weatherfield's Graeme Proctor - has now said that the proposal is off the table because there are too many noisy seagulls around Salford Quays.

He told radio station Key 103: "I heard they were going to take it to Salford Quays but then someone mentioned about the seagulls. Because it's based in Greater Manchester, how can Weatherfield suddenly have seagulls, because obviously we film outside - so how can we have like, 'All right, Ken' and then seagull noises?"

Gazey added that the programme's bosses would have to find another way to cope with the forthcoming switch to HD filming.

Discussing the state of the current set, he said: "We do need a new Street because as we're going into HD it's going to look absolutely rubbish on there."
http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/broadca...93/noisy-seagulls-ruin-corrie-move-plans.html

·
Registered
653 Posts
how can Weatherfield suddenly have seagulls
Er, quite easily! I have been in many inland towns and cities with seagulls aplenty! There are loads in Leyland, there are usually plenty in Winchester, both are some distance from the sea.

Anyway, it'd just mean a bit more post-production work surely?

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
Er, quite easily! I have been in many inland towns and cities with seagulls aplenty! There are loads in Leyland, there are usually plenty in Winchester, both are some distance from the sea.

Anyway, it'd just mean a bit more post-production work surely?
If Timperley has seagulls then Weatherfield can have them.

·
BlackFriars
443 Posts
Never understood comments like the above. I don't like many TV series, I don't watch them and therefore get over it! Don't mind Corrie, but I miss most episodes due to having other things to do. Perhaps you need a telly with an off switch, or some other interests in your life!
Well I kept my insults to a ''tv series'' (ie: a piece of work in the public arena) rather than a fellow poster. I actually used to watch the show at one time before it was shown too many times a week and some lousy actors overtook the place. I found the off switch. All tv is open to critique and therefore i'll reserve the right to say what I like about something. Just as you have.

·
Like 'Berg'
6,692 Posts
Would anyone go 'oh look, a seagull.. this is obviously a fictional Greater Manchester town :|' It's not like an ..... Ostrich or something is going to waddle up the cobbles is it? I mean even if it was the risk of ducks, or a wayward goose I could understand it, but seagulls?!

·
Banned
687 Posts
Question is, when will the cobbles go? I cannot find any cobbled street in Salford left. LOL

·
Keep Changing.
1,598 Posts
ITV Studios / Coronation Street | Trafford Wharf | Pro

76204/FULL/2010
Land situated between the Dry Docks, Imperial War Museum North, Manchester Ship Canal and Trafford Wharf Road, Trafford Park.

Full planning application for demolition of existing industrial building and erection of a drama production facility comprising studios, storage buildings, stage buildings, and set structures with development ancillary thereto, including security buildings, car parking, access, boundary treatment and public open space.
Planning Documents
Design: Jenkins Design Services

Developers: ITV Plc and Peel Media Ltd

The development will comprise:
  • External Drama Film Set [The ‘LOT’]
  • Two Studio "SOUND” stage buildings [Stage 1 & Stage 2]
  • A Three Storey Studio Production Support Building
  • Set Storage Building [with integral workshop].
  • Associated [on site] car parking.
  • Related Adjacent Public Realm Works and Landscaping.

Site as at 16th November 2010,

Credit: MediaCityUK Photographic Timeline

Worthy of its own thread? Docs are now on for it.

Cheers Flange for finding the app & larger render.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Do you think that ITV's Media City buildings will provide enough room for all of the programmes currently filmed at Quay Street (University Challenge, Countdown, Jeremy Kyle and all)?

If not, it probably wouldn't make sense to film some programmes at a mothballed Quay Street studio and others at Media City. So, might we see more programming going daan saaf?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Do you think that ITV's Media City buildings will provide enough room for all of the programmes currently filmed at Quay Street (University Challenge, Countdown, Jeremy Kyle and all)?

If not, it probably wouldn't make sense to film some programmes at a mothballed Quay Street studio and others at Media City. So, might we see more programming going daan saaf?
As well as their own studio space on the Trafford side, ITV will presumably be able to hire space in the main studio block on the Salford side of the Media City development. This is owned by Peel who will rent it out to tenants of the site and anyone else who wants it. I would have thought that this would be a cost-effective solution for ITV.

Maybe Manchester (Salford/Trafford) studios will return to the forefront of Saturday night TV. In the past the studios at ITV Granada have brought us everything from the Wheel Tappers and Shunters to Stars in Their Eyes...!

·
Keep Changing.
1,598 Posts
Given it is quite a constrained site, with this mention of future expansion,

Expansion plans

"HD is with us so we're going to build it to ensure it stands the test of time," an ITV spokesman said.

"All of the old favourites will be there - the Kabin and the Rovers Return - but it gives us options going forward for expanding. That's the beauty of being on a purpose-built site.

"We're on a 7.7-acre site, so in terms of what happens in the future who knows, but it gives us options from a production perspective that we don't currently have."
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-12008612

this looks to be the limit of any extension, using some of the large amount of surface parking,

3.9 The external Film LOT will hold the right for future expansion within the hatched area and LOT boundary as illustrated.

3.10 This condition of the application, previously discussed with the planning department, protects an active changing area within. Therefore any future development within this area can be progressed without planning consent to meet the ongoing and future needs of the Drama Production and often stringent time scales.
About half the parking spaces(200) are for staff based at the Orange building.

·
Registered
20,865 Posts
I wonder how theyve managed with 3/4 size houses for so long without banging their heads on the doors, I guess they dont have many 6ft actors :p

21 - 40 of 639 Posts