SkyscraperCity Forum banner
381 - 400 of 838 Posts

· Registered
5,768 Posts

I believe this expressway is called the Daini Keihan Road (第二京阪道路).

Is it just me or does it seem like the maximum amount of lanes in a expressway in Japan is around 6 lanes (3 lanes per side)?
Hehe seems so. Roads that have 3 lanes per direction (or more) are quite rare over there.

Probably one major exception is Wangan Line (首都高速道路湾岸線) which can have 4 or 5 lanes per direction in some areas (like the ones near Daiba)

· ご乗車頂いて&#
いつもご乗車いただきありがとうございました。まもなく日吉、日吉でございます。新横浜線・目黒線・横浜地下鉄グリーンラインを乗り換えです。右側のドアを開きに ご注意ください。
917 Posts
LegendofZelda1996 said:
I believe this expressway is called the Daini Keihan Road (第二京阪道路).
Wow. I remember when this was being built back around 2001-2002. I used travel National Route 1 (which runs directly below) between Higashi-Osaka and Kyoto all the time. Sometimes it would take 3 hours or more to make that trip with all the bad traffic.

· Registered
14 Posts
Wow. I remember when this was being built back around 2001-2002. I used travel National Route 1 (which runs directly below) between Higashi-Osaka and Kyoto all the time. Sometimes it would take 3 hours or more to make that trip with all the bad traffic.
Are you referring to this?

I think this is an intersection between the Japan National Route 1 (国道1号) and the Japan National Route 171 (国道171号). But I could be wrong.

· Banned
959 Posts
Urban expressway systems have numbered routes, like the Shuto system of Tokyo, Hanshin system of Osaka-Kobe-Kyoto, Nagoya system and Fukuoka and Kitakyushu systems.
Here in Iran it is the opposite. National Roads and Freeways are numbered but urban expressways are named. :nuts:

16,054 Posts
:eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2: :eek2:

· Speed freak
1,182 Posts
I like Japanese roads in a way they look very impressive and modern, especially the interchanges, but a few things I also don't like:

1: There are no deceleration lanes from what I can see, you can so easily miss an exit if you don't plan ahead. Plus very prone to jams if an exit or sliproad jams up, the main road will suffer too.
2: The interglots are very short, also very bad for heavy traffic weaving in...
3: Tokyo's expressways are just 2x2, how are they not jammed up 24/7 in such a big city ?? 2x2 proves not to be enough in rural areas here for highways, let alone a metropolitan area.
4: Emergency lanes/ hard shoulders ? They are either very narrow thus useless to divert traffic on in case of road works or so, dangerous if you break down on them... Or they do not exist!

The road networks looks like it has very low redundancy for heavy traffic, accidents or other incidents.

58,934 Posts
Most of the Shuto Expressway network have very high volumes, 100.000+ vehicles per day on 2x2 is rather common. The lack of trucks on some of these routes may relieve some of the congestion though. Plus the network is quite dense. Of the Shuto network, only the Bayshore Route has a continuous 2x3 setup. Other non-Shuto Expressways in Greater Tokyo tend to have 2x3 lanes as well.

Outside Tokyo, most expressways for example in Osaka or Hiroshima run on top of 4 - 8 lane arterial roads, so corridor capacity is not bad.

The majority of Japanese passenger transport is by car, even though this is the lowest in all developed countries (apart from some city-states like Hong Kong or Singapore).

381 - 400 of 838 Posts