Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Social Housing
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is going on today in Chamberlain / Victoria Square - very good atmosphere full of superb colours, sounds and smells. On until Monday I believe definitely worth a look!

They have beer too... :cheers:

043 by Roachy77, on Flickr

042 by Roachy77, on Flickr

031 by Roachy77, on Flickr

028 by Roachy77, on Flickr

026 by Roachy77, on Flickr

019 by Roachy77, on Flickr

014 by Roachy77, on Flickr

·
culled
20,364 Posts
Amazing atmosphere and well worth a visit. Bull Ring is crammed though.

Noticed LOM 1 crawling it's way through all of the people in the square, couldn't be arsed to go around I guess.

Although I'd note that D&G Ginger Beer, being sold in cans from the Christmas market huts, is only 35p in Sainsbury's in Martineaux Place! Save a fortune...

·
Registered Abuser
7,297 Posts
Just got home and what a great atmosphere in the city today, started at this festival and it was great, I am sure they do this every year though? Although this is the biggest I have ever seen it, hopefully another event we can add to our cities calender for years to come.

·
Social Housing
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got home and what a great atmosphere in the city today, started at this festival and it was great, I am sure they do this every year though? Although this is the biggest I have ever seen it, hopefully another event we can add to our cities calender for years to come.
You are thinking of the Levi Roots thing which was earlier in the year. This is much better as it feels less commercially driven...I do hope they repeat it, why not celebrate Jamaican independance every year!!!!!!!

Was talking to three guys from London and they commented how there was no police around. One said if this was London it would be crawling with police.

I quipped that we dont have crime in Birmingham, he said Birmingham was a fantastic city and not at all what he was expecting :)

·
Registered Abuser
7,297 Posts
O yes thats correct, my mistake. I would love to see this every year though, and like every other event we hold in the city, it could get bigger and bigger each time :) We really do pull our weight when it comes to events dont we, its just marketing it, we dont shout loud enough, we have the largest free Pride Festival in the UK, One of the largest Paddy Parades, Largest German Market, Chinese New Year Celebrations, Arts Fest, The more recent food festival, that other thing not long back in Victoria Square with the Angels on the Town Hall etc? I know they do that every year dont they? And hopefully this to add to the collection. It really is impressive and I am probaly forgeting loads more.

Marketing Birmingham is just going wrong somewhere, if we let the world know about these events it could really bring some great investment to the city.

·
Social Housing
2,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Brummyboy92 said:
O yes thats correct, my mistake. I would love to see this every year though, and like every other event we hold in the city, it could get bigger and bigger each time :) We really do pull our weight when it comes to events dont we, its just marketing it, we dont shout loud enough, we have the largest free Pride Festival in the UK, One of the largest Paddy Parades, Largest German Market, Chinese New Year Celebrations, Arts Fest, The more recent food festival, that other thing not long back in Victoria Square with the Angels on the Town Hall etc? I know they do that every year dont they? And hopefully this to add to the collection. It really is impressive and I am probaly forgeting loads more.

Marketing Birmingham is just going wrong somewhere, if we let the world know about these events it could really bring some great investment to the city.
But the events are always packed? I think they must be doing a good job.

The www.visitbirmingham.com site is really really excellent. Check it out.

·
culled
20,364 Posts
To be honest I think it's better that way. When the Christmas Market is up to New Street that part is so packed with people that you can't get a good look at the stalls anyway. Also brings people up into the square and away from Bullring for once.

·
Brummie Angeleno
15,082 Posts
This coupled with Bolt and Blake last night has got lots of Jamaican ladies pouring into town today - my bus was like it had passed through Kingston lol!
I have visited Jamaica once, 10 years ago when I worked on a conference in Montego Bay but had to fly to Kingston through the back end of a hurricane and jeez you feel every dip on a prop plane! The air-stewardess almost went white lol! The drive back through the middle of Jamaica in torrential rain was an eye-opener too. I managed to spend a couple of days in Negril on the west coast to unwind also. All in all I loved it and the people were the friendliest I've ever met and can understand why heart disease is pretty non existent there!

In terms of marketing this event - I read the i newspaper and get a little annoyed at how such a brilliant paper can miss a lot of Brum's festivals but always manages to find other non-London events to put in its what's on pages. We have to keep on I suppose.....

·
Registered
514 Posts
This was on Marketing Birmingham's radar (featured in their email newsletter etc) but I agree, these events need far more promotion. I think the problem is that large scale public events like these are organised by the Council and so are pretty badly marketed by their teams. I think they need to hand over full responsibility for promo and marketing to Marketing Birmingham so that their work is more effective and remit clearer.

Unfortunately, Marketing Birmingham are really moving away from concentrating on events like this because they don't perceive them as "valuable". Even though events like this provide invaluable PR to the city (when done well) they don't directly create jobs or help populate headline-loving statistics that Marketing Birmingham can brag about. It's a real shame :eek:hno:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts