SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
A greek iberista
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do New Yorkers jaywalking a lot? They remind me of Greece, we do the same here, but we do that cause our streets are so chaotic and we love crossing the streets through bumper to bumper traffic :D I guess that NY has much better roads, more traffic lights and more sane drivers as well! :D

·
Super Moderator
11,286 Posts
the point being? :|
Every city has jaywalkers, maybe not Singapore, but what is so new about New York that led you to open a thread about it?
Why do I do it? Because I can't be bothered to:
1. reach the crossing lanes
2. wait for the walk sign
3. because cars should be forbidden in manhattan, or at least downtown and midtown.
4. last but not least, the same excuse that Clinton used, because I can. Except if there's a bus or a truck, then I stay away :D

·
Member, Winifred Fan Club
2,973 Posts
I get annoyed when I go to other cities where people don't jaywalk and just wait for the walk sign to turn on. People, come on! Time's a wasting! I almost feel like I'm roadraging when people just stand around and wait even if no cars are coming.

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Same here if a fire truck,garbage truck,bus or crazy cab driver trying to make the light then no i wont I hate when bridge and tunnel people and tourist wait at the light and they stop and everyone behind them stops and then they wait not noticing they have 50 people behind them

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Even though it is common in a lot of cities, it is still against the rules.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Plus... fining people for jaywalking is such a disgustingly huge task that will save very few lives and frankly, I rather have resources more devoted to fighting terrorism

Plus, when people walk, you can't truly pose that type of strict restriction. I'd feel like I'm in prison if I was walking through any street in the entire city and know that when the street is clear, I still had to cross at the crosswalk... Shit, I'll end up doing the diagnal thing where your just half jaywalking cause u meet the crosswalk in the middle.

but wait wait, what happens if we step out of the white box? lol

·
A greek iberista
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
When I was in London last June, I was astonished by how disciplined English people were when it comes to the traffic rules. I think I didnt saw anyone jaywalking!

On the other hand, this doesnt happen in Rome or Athens, judging from my personal experiences, these two capitals are so crowded and traffic packed, many cars dont stop when the lights turns red for them (as well as pedestrians do) and in many cases pedestrians cross the street when cars were stopped by a gtraffic light :D

·
Registered
583 Posts
as a city and its crowds gets bigger and bigger (like NYC), you cannot pose that type of restriction on its police force as well as its citizens.

And since NY has already grown to be a jaywalking city (as every other city in the US), you can't do a 180 and change that developed ideology...

But in the end, I drive and I walk equally. And I just dont see a problem with it all. The only thing that bothers me while driving is if a person jaywalks on a green light and expects u to have to stop as if he was royalty. Now that burns me... unless its a pretty girl of course...:D

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
cops jay walk themselves in the city no one cares just as long as u dont get hit by a bus or truck

·
122,437 Posts
I saw a lot of jaywalking in London. Maybe some are tourists, but there crowds can get so huge that people are walking on the street as the buses and taxis swerve around them.

·
A greek iberista
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
hkskyline said:
I saw a lot of jaywalking in London. Maybe some are tourists, but there crowds can get so huge that people are walking on the street as the buses and taxis swerve around them.

yes, I think you have a point, but in general english people are more careful when it comes to traffic matters.

·
User
5,634 Posts
People are impatient, one guy does it, then the other guy and it soon enough all the pedestrians crossing the street join in.

Driving in Manhattan's a bitch.

·
Registered
7,536 Posts
Don't remind me of that, b/c you can't drive very fast on any local roads in any of the boroughs, plus it's pretty difficult to change lanes on them.

·
Banned
1,781 Posts
The last time i Jaywalked I got hit by a car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
802 Posts
Sucks for you, man.

Honestly though... shouldn't the question be "why would some schmuck wait for the light to turn even if no cars or coming" rather than "why do people jaywalk"?

·
Registered
583 Posts
exactly! Bottom line, there's a right way to jaywalk, and there's a wrong way to jaywalk. The wrongs shouldn't prevent the rights from doing it. That's how stupid laws r created.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts