SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
city driver
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.citynorthaz.com/

Playa Vista should have looked like this.
Every new apt./condo in LA should look/feel like this.

I love all the overhangs, trellises, etc.

And we think the americana is impressive!?!? It makes me scream that angelenos would rather live in tuscan old world rip-off ticky tack crap.. I mean I know phoenix on the whole is just miles of crappy red-tile roof mcmansions but how did they get this and we didn't? Look at the map, it's like empty desert on the sides of this thing. Imagine how much more successful this would be if it occupied a site like, say the industrial land north of downtown LA or something.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
All in all it looks great although I really hate the surface parking lots. That's the only thing I would change. It sorta like suburbs meet the city...

·
city driver
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there's only a couple surface lots up at the top I think near some offices and they're not big.. this place is definitely making a point of reducing surface lots.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I am still waiting to see what Playa Vista's commercial section will look like.

According to Playa Vista's Wikipedia article: "The Village Town Center will connect the Phase One residential property with the Campus [section of development with office buildings], and is expected to be mixed-used residential/commercial property.
Caruso Affiliated, which designed the Grove, is currently in negotiations to design the Village."

I like the CityNorth look, however, I think if it was in Los Angeles, that place will get as congested as Westwood/West LA is now. Probably will need wider streets if it was anywhere in Los Angeles.

·
LAL | LAD | LAK
6,477 Posts
We need more quality architecture in LA, like this building being planned at Selma and Vine in Hollywood. STOP with the mega-developments. Infill projects like these create a more cohesive urban paradigm.

·
city driver
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
westside-- I don't like mega developments either, I was just reacting to the fact that this phoenix mega-development looks way better than any of our mega-developments.. and way better than most new apts./condos in LA.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
If only the Yellow went through Americana you wouldn't be saying that. The mega developments are ok like what's happening at the Universal stop and the NOHO stop. As long as these places are connected by transit and respond to human scale I don't have a problem with them. They will over time weave themselves into the fabric of the city and while doing that will spur smaller infill developments as well. Look what the coming W and the H&H mall have already done for Hollywood! These mega developments when done right can be a B12 boost for some of these downward spiralling areas and the ripple effect could not have been created without them.
If everywhere were just small infill developments you'd have Pasadena Old Town everywhere. Using NYC as a loose guide I beg the question, what would NYC be without 100 years+ of megadevelopment developing? Rockefeller Center and the World Trade Center come to mind immediately so does the entire UN area along the East River. I could go on the Times Warner Center.......even Central Park was a mega-development for its day. LA desperately needs these big developments to create a more intensly urban dynamic and between them you can have all of the smaller infill projects that you can muster. Look at the current Hollywood Blvd! What you will have in just a couple of years are megadevelopments on either side of the strip, H&H and a mile or so down the street you have the W and Pantages development. But all inbetween because of those urban pedestals you have a wonderful stretch of low rise smaller developments that are seriously cultivating a very walkable community. Isn't this what we want? The location of Americana is shit of course. The fact that Americana was not built along one of our existing LRT or HRT stops is shameful. But don't count out the power of serious multibillion/million $$ developments when placed smartly and strategically and integrated into the urban fabric.

·
Registered
121 Posts
http://www.citynorthaz.com/

Playa Vista should have looked like this.
Every new apt./condo in LA should look/feel like this.

I love all the overhangs, trellises, etc.

And we think the americana is impressive!?!? It makes me scream that angelenos would rather live in tuscan old world rip-off ticky tack crap.. I mean I know phoenix on the whole is just miles of crappy red-tile roof mcmansions but how did they get this and we didn't? Look at the map, it's like empty desert on the sides of this thing. Imagine how much more successful this would be if it occupied a site like, say the industrial land north of downtown LA or something.

These mega developments aren't a real replacement of old fashioned urbanism (of which L.A. still has in much of its satellite downtowns). Just go through one of these things and it looks all fake, phony.

·
city driver
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok no one understood what I was saying...
I'm not advocating that LA tear down everything and rebuild with mega-developments. I was just bringing up the fact that this looks a lot better, architecturally, than most new buildings going up in LA right now (to say nothing about the type of development it is).

·
Registered
426 Posts
It may look fine, but frankly, LA doesnt need developments like this. It (and Pheonix) have plenty of areas within the existing city that need to be redeveloped. Instead of fabricating a new area, we should be improving existing ones. Mega developments just can measure up to the more organic growth of REAL urbanism

·
Registered
610 Posts
If only the Yellow went through Americana you wouldn't be saying that. The mega developments are ok like what's happening at the Universal stop and the NOHO stop. As long as these places are connected by transit and respond to human scale I don't have a problem with them. They will over time weave themselves into the fabric of the city and while doing that will spur smaller infill developments as well. Look what the coming W and the H&H mall have already done for Hollywood! These mega developments when done right can be a B12 boost for some of these downward spiralling areas and the ripple effect could not have been created without them.
If everywhere were just small infill developments you'd have Pasadena Old Town everywhere. Using NYC as a loose guide I beg the question, what would NYC be without 100 years+ of megadevelopment developing? Rockefeller Center and the World Trade Center come to mind immediately so does the entire UN area along the East River. I could go on the Times Warner Center.......even Central Park was a mega-development for its day. LA desperately needs these big developments to create a more intensly urban dynamic and between them you can have all of the smaller infill projects that you can muster. Look at the current Hollywood Blvd! What you will have in just a couple of years are megadevelopments on either side of the strip, H&H and a mile or so down the street you have the W and Pantages development. But all inbetween because of those urban pedestals you have a wonderful stretch of low rise smaller developments that are seriously cultivating a very walkable community. Isn't this what we want? The location of Americana is shit of course. The fact that Americana was not built along one of our existing LRT or HRT stops is shameful. But don't count out the power of serious multibillion/million $$ developments when placed smartly and strategically and integrated into the urban fabric.
i like the way you put it:)

·
Registered
899 Posts
I agree with what you said 100%, but the developers of TAAB developed it so it can be accessible by Glendale's upper class-of which, with it's large disposable income, probably could care less about Rapid Mass Transit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts