SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
5101 - 5120 of 18660 Posts

·
Proud Melbournian
1,728 Posts
I can't wait to see this mega-tall completed. Also find it curious & interesting that the tallest buildings ever to be built are only being considered/built in the Middle East ? I assume it's cost related and other countries simply can't afford to build that high without huge financial backing such as oil revenue ?

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
I wonder, isn't this is a suitable project to use aluminium structure instead of steel? Engineers, any suggestions?
Yep. It's all about the yield strength. For structural steel, it's in the range of 350 MPa, while Aluminium has a yield strength of roughly 70 MPa. Aluminium might be lighter, and doesn't corrode as easily, but it isn't as strong either.

·
Roof height crusader
5,925 Posts
You wanted to say "steel" instead of "iron", which is a totally different, non-construction material.
I wonder, isn't this is a suitable project to use aluminium structure instead of steel? Engineers, any suggestions?
Isn't the Eiffel Tower made out of iron? :dunno:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi All

News shortly before from the famous Saudi newspaper

Which confirms the start of construction of the tower

Translated the news in points

* Actually start work on April 1 this month and will continue until 63 months to end in mid-2018
* The first phase of construction began in April and will last for 11 months where the drilling depth of up to 105 m
* The second phase starts immediately after the first phase and extends to 8 months to build concrete Allepeshh, and then the tower will be shown on the surface
* The third phase starts after 19 months to complete construction work in 2018
* Tower consists of 167 bungalows and by the increase of more than 1,000 meters
* The highest residential apartments in the tower will be 160 floor at an altitude of 642 m
* Overlooking Visitors will be on the floor 158 at an altitude of 634 m
* Concrete tower structure will be fully except the last three hundred meters it will be the structure of iron
* Elevator tower up to the maximum height is 160 floor and at an altitude of 642 m
* Kingdom City project area 5 million m 2 and completed the entire city after 23 years
* The project provides 150 thousand jobs for Saudis
* The project includes a giant artificial lake with an area of 350 thousand square meters, diameter and around 14 km long
* The project contains a large number of towers up to 100 floors
* The project will be a mix between commercial and residential, multi-use, where he also will include a large commercial centers and retail stores,

Preparative and used Google translator

:nuts::nuts:
great news naif

:banana::nuts::banana::nuts::banana::D:D:banana::nuts::banana::nuts::banana:

·
Registered
516 Posts
Also find it curious & interesting that the tallest buildings ever to be built are only being considered/built in the Middle East ? I assume it's cost related and other countries simply can't afford to build that high without huge financial backing such as oil revenue ?
The Middle East has had the tallest building in the world for all 3 years and 2/3 of the office space in Burj Khalifa is unoccupied. So if you are asking if oil rich sheiks are the only people who can afford to build massive building on spec and have them sit empty for years, the answer is yes.

Joking aside, a dozen or so 600+ meter towers have been proposed in New York and Chicago since the mid 1980's. Kingdom Tower is setting the bar so high I doubt it will ever be surpased, but any of those would have been the tallest building at the time.

·
I love Skyscrapers
34,111 Posts
Kingdom Tower is setting the bar so high I doubt it will ever be surpased
i highly doubt that ^^. 1000m is damn tall, no question. but to be realistic...there are enough possibilities to surpass the KT. Just remember the Azerbaijan Tower for example.
and from the technical viewpoint it isn't the problem to build a few meters taller to beat the WTB again :)

·
Roof height crusader
5,925 Posts
Yes, but it was built in the late 1880's. Iron has not been used structurally since the mid 1890's.
Thanks for clarifying. So iron is a retired structural system which was replaced by steel. I'm planning to study engineering so this is very interesting stuff for me :cheers:

·
Registered
2,405 Posts

Hello!
I know this is came too late, but I was too busy for the last few weeks!
I went to the site today, work has finished in some foundations,concrete mixing towers are suddenly appeared.
On the other hand, they have made a fence around the Tower's plot to separate the Tower's site than the rest of the plot (kingdom City) and that the reason they made the small hole appeared in my previous visit.... I'll leave you now with the pictures and the video of my visit>>

·
whitest boy in the delta
12,689 Posts
there is no too late, we are just happy you share with us what you got :)

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Banned
472 Posts
OMGoodlord, deliver us from evil!! What's that shard?? We can only hope that's not the new "design"...:eek:hno:
It's physically impossible to wash it clean in the desert!!!

·
Rooftop Shooter
1,003 Posts

·
Registered
32,091 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. So iron is a retired structural system which was replaced by steel. I'm planning to study engineering so this is very interesting stuff for me :cheers:
You are planning? What are you, a high-schooler? That explains it then .....

·
Registered
32,091 Posts
The Middle East has had the tallest building in the world for all 3 years and 2/3 of the office space in Burj Khalifa is unoccupied. So if you are asking if oil rich sheiks are the only people who can afford to build massive building on spec and have them sit empty for years, the answer is yes.
1. Middle East has had the title for MOST of the humanity's hhistory :yes:

2. Office space in Burj Khalifa is the smallest of the three elements (hotel, residential, office) ... plus, the developer has already sold the space, so it doesn't matter for them if it is empty or not

3. How long did it took The Empty State Building to fill up? ... What about the Twin Towers?

4. So think before you speak ;)

5101 - 5120 of 18660 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.