SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
5121 - 5140 of 18660 Posts

·
whitest boy in the delta
12,844 Posts
the pyramids should not be considered a building though. but then again the middle east probably still had the first good structures that might be considered the first buildings, so it may still be true, who knows. tallest structure or monument however it is true for sure and by far :cheers:

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Registered
32,105 Posts
I'm sorry for hurting your feelings, but I am just trying to understand where things comes from

·
Registered
361 Posts
You wanted to say "steel" instead of "iron", which is a totally different, non-construction material.
I wonder, isn't this is a suitable project to use aluminium structure instead of steel? Engineers, any suggestions?
The publication said " الحديد" which means the iron.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Joking aside, a dozen or so 600+ meter towers have been proposed in New York and Chicago since the mid 1980's. Kingdom Tower is setting the bar so high I doubt it will ever be surpased, but any of those would have been the tallest building at the time.
There's nothing unreasonable about a 1000m building being able to be profitable if it's an actually large building, rather than just a spire whose volume is mostly elevator shafts.

·
Registered
32,105 Posts
^^ And do you really think making it that large would actually increase the 'revenue vs construction cost' factor? .... so yeah, there's actually something unreasonable

... and who said most of the space is occupied by the elevator shafts?

·
Registered
705 Posts
^^ And do you really think making it that large would actually increase the 'revenue vs construction cost' factor? .... so yeah, there's actually something unreasonable

... and who said most of the space is occupied by the elevator shafts?
It is an issue with 700m+ towers.

Khalifa has one small service elevator above floor 154 where it is mostly mechanical. Top 30 floors and half are offices and the other half is mechanical. Above 160 is a ladder in a tube such as entering a submarine.

So the issue of having a usable floor at level N is a valid one with very tall structures especially the tapered spires.

When someone gets the will and money to build a Willis Tower or WTC 1/2, but double the height size and width, I do not know if you would be happy as such structures would be overwhelming in mass.

Imagine a straight tower like the old WTC, but 1,000m tall. It would be 36422m2 in foot print, 200m on a side.

·
Registered
517 Posts
1. Middle East has had the title for MOST of the humanity's hhistory :yes:

2. Office space in Burj Khalifa is the smallest of the three elements (hotel, residential, office) ... plus, the developer has already sold the space, so it doesn't matter for them if it is empty or not

3. How long did it took The Empty State Building to fill up? ... What about the Twin Towers?

4. So think before you speak ;)
Do I have to go beyond stating that I was joking in my original post to make it clear the statement was made tongue in check? I guess I will add an icon next time.

I don't consider tombs to occupiable buildings, so no, I don't agree with your arguement. If you plan to bring the Tower of Babel into the mix, then I might conceed your point. :lol:

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. So iron is a retired structural system which was replaced by steel. I'm planning to study engineering so this is very interesting stuff for me :cheers:
Nice. I certainly enjoy it. Where are you planning to study?

Most of the projects I work on are renovations to existing buildings here in Pittsburgh. Occasionally, I will work on one that is old enough that wraught iron was used, so just becuase its retired, doesn't mean you might not ever see it. There are numerous antequated structural systems you will run into doing renovations. I enjoy it, hopefully you will too.

·
Registered
32,105 Posts
It is an issue with 700m+ towers.

Khalifa has one small service elevator above floor 154 where it is mostly mechanical. Top 30 floors and half are offices and the other half is mechanical. Above 160 is a ladder in a tube such as entering a submarine.

So the issue of having a usable floor at level N is a valid one with very tall structures especially the tapered spires.

When someone gets the will and money to build a Willis Tower or WTC 1/2, but double the height size and width, I do not know if you would be happy as such structures would be overwhelming in mass.

Imagine a straight tower like the old WTC, but 1,000m tall. It would be 36422m2 in foot print, 200m on a side.
Have you considered what will be the costs to build such structures to stand? Do you think the architects went for a decreasing floorplate for aesthetic reasons?

Two things: Structural weight, Wind load

·
Roof height crusader
5,925 Posts
Nice. I certainly enjoy it. Where are you planning to study?

Most of the projects I work on are renovations to existing buildings here in Pittsburgh. Occasionally, I will work on one that is old enough that wraught iron was used, so just becuase its retired, doesn't mean you might not ever see it. There are numerous antequated structural systems you will run into doing renovations. I enjoy it, hopefully you will too.
I plan to go to the construction faculty of the Slovak Technical University in Bratislava. As for which one of the various directions, I don't know yet, they offer many directions but I'd like it to be focused on load bearing aspects of a structure (in other words minimum art, maximum number crunching :cheers:) and highrise construction if that is possible :cheers:

·
Always looking up
1,822 Posts
The publication said " الحديد" which means the iron.
One thing to consider is that the direct translation may be "iron" but the material in reality may be steel. In many languages what we call steel in America may be called iron in their language. Iron, is a global term, which includes steel and many other materials.

·
Registered
411 Posts
* The highest residential apartments in the tower will be 160 floor at an altitude of 642 m
* Overlooking Visitors will be on the floor 158 at an altitude of 634 m
* Concrete tower structure will be fully except the last three hundred meters it will be the structure of iron
* Elevator tower up to the maximum height is 160 floor and at an altitude of 642 m
Disappointing. It's basically a very thin Shanghai tower with a 300m spire on top of it. Doesn't really deserve the fuzz about it IMHO... :(

5121 - 5140 of 18660 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.