SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
9901 - 9920 of 18660 Posts

·
whitest boy in the delta
12,844 Posts
@R_g all of these towers would need a heck of a redesign and I don't think any is built strong enough to support that mass of extra weight. those towers will never be a threat to kingdom tower. Those currently concept towers like caiwuwei however could become a threat, but only in over 10 years, so the title for kingdom tower is secure for at least 5 years when it is finished. (Unless Azerbaijan tower gets built, I am doubtful).

·
whitest boy in the delta
12,844 Posts
Yes, especially in china towers are getting taller and taller. Many 600m projects and one 700m one under construction and a few more proposed. These towers will lead to more proposals that will also be taller. 800m, 900m, but a kilometer is far away unless someone really wants to get the title and invests in a huge spire on top of new megatall proposals. The next world's tallest after kingdom tower is probably still built in the middle east. Maybe dubai striking back.

Reactions: wespje1990

·
Banned
21 Posts
?

@R_g all of these towers would need a heck of a redesign and I don't think any is built strong enough to support that mass of extra weight. those towers will never be a threat to kingdom tower. Those currently concept towers like caiwuwei however could become a threat, but only in over 10 years, so the title for kingdom tower is secure for at least 5 years when it is finished. (Unless Azerbaijan tower gets built, I am doubtful).
What is the "caiwuwei tower" ???

·
whitest boy in the delta
12,844 Posts
Wish something like nakheel tower would be the next WTB. After kingdom tower that is.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
The-Real-Link!!
906 Posts
My thought is that Dubai striking back is likely. Since the Burj Khalifa had the literal advertisement / showcase of "Expo 2020" on the building in videos for the New Year's fireworks, it seems almost certain that they'll be proposing another grand tower soon.

But while they could build the tallest commercial tower (which is fine and all and is it's own record), if they wanted to go for a WTB again, we'll need to see it and soon if there's any hope for completion around 2020.

I'm sure they went to the drawing boards as soon as they had word that Kingdom Tower was a serious proposal / contender for real construction without delay. But if it's 2015 now, figure designs will take the rest of the year to be finished. One year minimum for foundation work, two years minimum for superstructure, and a year and change for interior work pushes this conceptual thought already to mid to late 2019.

Unless planning and things are already well underway, it would be a miracle to see a WTB topping KT by 2020. But again this is Dubai, and records can take many forms so we can only wait and see what, if anything, is proposed.

Maybe they'll just hold this Expo akin to a major convention in any other city without much pomp and circumstance but that would seem.... unlikely.

Does Expo 2020 even have anything to do with architecture?

At any rate back on topic, it's nice to see Kingdom Tower hauling along now. They're appearing to be more or less on schedule and as the floorplates slowly size down and the floors become a little more standardized, the construction speed should increase.

·
Futurologist
1,561 Posts
The creepy thing about this project is when you realize that the structure that now stands is only the base of the core. There is still steel and concrete to be added around it, and still there is over a hundred floors to go until the top. Even when we look at the pics that we have now, we can not comprehend how big this structure will be once its finished.

·
The AlphaWolf of the Pack
1,748 Posts
The creepy thing about this project is when you realize that the structure that now stands is only the base of the core. There is still steel and concrete to be added around it, and still there is over a hundred floors to go until the top. Even when we look at the pics that we have now, we can not comprehend how big this structure will be once its finished.
Yep! Just imagine visiting this monster in 2020, with a big city surrounding it! Once it's completed, in the pictures it would look big, but it would look even bigger in real life! Like the biggest thing ever made! The size would just knock you sideways!

·
Registered
922 Posts
9901 - 9920 of 18660 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.