SkyscraperCity banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
18621 - 18640 of 18660 Posts

·
Parisian Guy
870 Posts
Thx for the pics!

Still no sign of progress. I've the strong feeling that this one and Dubai Creek Tower will never get build.
This is most likely true but what is going to happen with this concrete skeleton then? I mean, Dubai Creek Tower is just a hole in the ground. I know they have poured a concete slab but it can easily be covered and turned into a park. But this one cannot....

·
I Love Chicago!
6,995 Posts
^^ Muster all of their construction might and finish the interior, then they can claim to have built the most isolated skyscraper in the world. Camel caravans from all over the world would stop here to pay their respects . . . ahem, I think there would be tourists willing to drive through miles of nothingness to see a gigantic black skyscraper in the desert.

·
Registered
309 Posts
So, apparently the guy who still owns this thing said that construction will ramp up in the future. Sure, and One World Trade Center is taller than the Central Park Tower

https://www.enr.com/articles/48077-owner-may-ramp-up-construction-of-jeddah-tower-planned-to-be-over-1-km

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Quite a superlative to use given the situation. At this point, the tower is an abandoned, half-finished husk sitting alone on a wide, flat, dusty expanse of nothingness far out in the suburbs of Jeddah, likely to remain in that state for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't quite bring out the all caps right now.

·
Banned
ESTELI PARLIAMENTARY REPUBLIC
7,638 Posts
Quite a superlative to use given the situation. At this point, the tower is an abandoned, half-finished husk sitting alone on a wide, flat, dusty expanse of nothingness far out in the suburbs of Jeddah, likely to remain in that state for the foreseeable future. I wouldn't quite bring out the all caps right now.
Why is the thread active? I was just trying to not have the section dominated by SPAM.

·
Banned
ESTELI PARLIAMENTARY REPUBLIC
7,638 Posts

·
I Love Chicago!
6,995 Posts
Why is the thread active? I was just trying to not have the section dominated by SPAM.
"AMAZING!" is probably the most irrelevant message on here, so I'm not sure how you were hoping to achieve your goal.

Anyway, I have a feeling construction won't restart anytime in the foreseeable future. So sad . . . :eek:hno:

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Think it will ever be finished I have faith plus they never removed the cranes which is a high and very good sign
The issue, the way I see it, isn't getting the tower finished. It's getting Kingdom City started. Jeddah Tower is just the centrepiece of a large new urban district development, and it seems to be the only part that has actually begun construction. The entire rest of the site is a giant, flat, desert plain. The nearest road is almost a full kilometer away from the tower, and there is nothing of note anywhere nearby. Maybe the stadium, that's a little under ten kilometers away, but the synergy between the two sites would be next to none. Jeddah's downtown, where all the tourism happens, is 45 minutes away by car.

Without Kingdom City around it, Jeddah Tower is nothing. It cannot function, not even if finished at its current height. Whoever wants to finish Jeddah Tower and actually use it for something would also have to build the City. From scratch. And find tenants not only for Jeddah Tower, but for all the surrounding buildings. While competing with Dubai in the regional market, and Dubai itself is struggling despite having the lead and upper hand in almost every conceivable way.

I think the only way for this tower to be finished as intended is if there happens to appear a market for an entirely new city in Saudi Arabia almost out of nowhere, and the UAE doesn't manage to snatch up that market despite an overwhelmingly more favourable position, and none of the other, numerous district development plans in Saudi Arabia manage to come to fruition, and some developer decides to pick up Kingdom City without modifying it significantly. That's a whole lot of conditions that need to be fulfilled for this tower to even stand a chance. And it wouldn't even get to enjoy the title of the world's tallest tower for long, because Emaar would just start up Dubai Creek Tower again to reclaim the bragging rights.

Best guess: It will stand in its current state for a couple of decades before either being demolished or repurposed as a telecom tower or something.

·
Corellian YT-1300
649 Posts
And I thought the Ryugyong Hotel was a monument to insanity... This admittedly stunning but rather ill-planned Jeddah Tower is worse - like having a grand landmark sitting in the middle of some no-man's land! :nuts: :lol:

Even if I did a Google Maps search of Jeddah Tower and that on-hold complex is actually near a cluster of beach resorts, so it's not as isolated as I thought it was... But too bad the commercial cluster of Jeddah City, where potential tenants for the complex is in abundance, is too far away! :eek:hno:

18621 - 18640 of 18660 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.