SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Melburnian
2,375 Posts
This is a must-see site, I loved Jeita!

Jeita Grotto is a compound of caves in Lebanon located 18km north from Beirut in the Valley of Nahr al-Kalb (Dog River). This grotto is comprised of two caves, an upper and lower. The caves feature many stalactites and stalagmites and a river runs through the lower cave. Much of the caves are underwater.

The lower cave of Jeita Grotto was discovered in 1836 and opened to the public in 1958. The upper cave was discovered in 1958 and opened to the public years later in 1969. Today, Jeita Grotto is a popular tourist site for both Lebanese and travelers from abroad because of its beauty and proximity to Beirut. A ropeway that ascends through the Valley of Nahr al-Kalb carries visitors to the upper cave, or visitors can use the train shuttle that continuously runs back and forth between the upper and lower caves.

Jeita Grotto is one of the most impressive underground caverns in the world. Situated under Mount Lebanon in the Nahr el Kalb (Dog River) Valley, these caves, which have been known to man since Paleolithic times, consist of a lower and upper gallery. Today, visitors can explore the 6200-metre deep (20,341ft) lower gallery by boat, whilst the upper gallery, which was not discovered until 1958, can be visited on foot by travelling down a 120-metre (394ft) tunnel. There are numerous multicoloured stalactites and stalagmites, and a huge underground lake in what is one of the world’s most impressive natural wonders.
Air: Beirut International Airport. Road: Coach: Many tourists visit the sites as part of an organised tour. Taxi: Taxis can be hired in Beirut to take visitors to the site

·
Son of the cedars
7,958 Posts
Thanx jayme for the thread.
Jeita grotto is one of the world natural wonders.

·
Registered
575 Posts
did u guys know that its only open in the summer and spring??? because in the winter its wayyyy too cold and they close it down because the water freezes .. so u can actually visit it once every year and see a different grotto everytime u visit!!!

·
Son of the cedars
7,958 Posts
yes,sometimes also in summer the lower grotto is closed when the water level ios so high.

Jeita Grotto has one of the largest stalactites in the world, measuring 8.2 m in length.

·
Registered
575 Posts
COOL!!! whats a stal...ac..it.ties..rrr??? does that mean big rock?

and how many caves are there total? cuz its referred to as one cave, but ppl mention more than one.

·
Son of the cedars
7,958 Posts
2 grottoes,a lower grotto where the river is,and the upper grotto.

·
Registered
807 Posts
COOL!!! whats a stal...ac..it.ties..rrr??? does that mean big rock?
Stalactites are the hardened pointed mineral deposits that hang down from the ceiling of a cave. Because limestone is a sedimentary rock, it is somewhat soft, so water that seeps through it will extract minerals from the rock, so that is how these stalactites get formed.

Stalagmites are hardened pointed mineral deposits that stick up from the floor of the cave. They are formed usually right below stalactites when the mineral-rich water dripping from the tip of the stalactites hits the ground and eventually builds up the pointed hardened mineral deposits.

·
Melburnian
2,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went in 2001 I was 13 then its amazing I Loved it
in my Lebanon Presensation I did in Class I had that place in my power point

·
Registered
116 Posts
Jeita Grotto is one of the great natural wonders of the world. The crystalized cave consists of stalactites and stalagmites formed by water drops over millions of years. It was a dazzling experience

(The Guardian of Time", a sculpture by Lebanese artist Tony Farah )

(Toy Train that takes out around to base)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts