SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 210 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New Look: The 990-Foot 99 Hudson Street, New Jersey’s Future Tallest Building

The Jersey City Planning Board voted to amend the Colgate Redevelopment Plan on January 20, 2015 to permit the construction of a 95 story, 990-foot residential tower at 99 Hudson Street. The site was purchased by developer China Overseas America from Hartz Mountain Industries in 2013, and YIMBY revealed that Perkins Eastman was designing the site back in December.

This building was originally listed as 95 Stories and 990 feet, but was reduced to 76 stories and (according to some sources) 900 feet.

·
15,838 Posts
They can easily go higher at that place - plenty of space.

Reactions: ChuckScraperMiami#1

·
Registered
947 Posts
Don't know but guess we'll get answers soon. It seems it was implied there was a small drop to 900 ft but I never actually saw any news confirming it. Strangely the night the final approval was given, after which we barely heard anything about it a person at another site(skyscraperpage) did learn that apparently the square footage was increased to 1,385,000 square feet. If that's true we'll be getting a very substantial tower, very imposing and majestic in the skyline. Hopefully if Goldman Sachs gets approval soon on their site at 55 Hudson (and they of course own the lot of 50 Hudson right next to their 42 story, 790 ft tower at 90 Hudson as well)for the 1,000+ tower talked about there, the skyline would get a very majestic, soaring filling in!

·
18,563 Posts
I'm curious - was it ever confirmed that the height was dropped to 900 feet? Or was this just assumed because of the "drop" from ~95 stories to 76 stories?
YIMBY confimed it. http://newyorkyimby.com/2015/09/95-...rsey-city-waterfront-at-55-hudson-street.html

[...]
a major residential project is also in the works at 99 Hudson Street. While that building was initially expected to stand 990 feet to its roof, becoming the first “supertall” in New Jersey (standing over the 300 meter mark), it has since been downgraded slightly to 900 feet and 76 floors.
[..]

·
Registered
947 Posts
I read the final height will be slightly shorter at 889 ft. Still a substantial tower with a lot of units... not going to likely be a skinny one. I am disappointed they pulled back a bit on the height but hope the look will still be distinct and no doubt the location will make it a fixture from the Manhattan side. Hopefully the Goldman Sach's development at 55 Hudson (which has a clear, unimpeded view...99 Hudson has one of the Colgate office complexes blocking views on the lower floors) will go all out and soar over 1,000 ft. Don't believe it will be primarily office but have an office component with likely hotel/condos on higher floors... the views of Lower Manhattan will be too perfect to just limit it to an office tower.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Saw on skyscraperpage that the FAA has recently(showed a letter dated December 18, 2015) finally approving having the height of 99 Hudson at 899ft, after concerns about flight patterns threatened to shave a good couple of hundred more feet from the proposed tower. Still wish it could be taller, but at 899 ft will be by far the tallest building in Jersey City (and New Jersey) and the building is likely to be very substantial as it looks like the square footage will remain over a million square ft. No skinny tower here! And of course incredible views especially of Lower Manhattan!

·
16,156 Posts
Saw on skyscraperpage that the FAA has recently(showed a letter dated December 18, 2015) finally approving having the height of 99 Hudson at 899ft, after concerns about flight patterns threatened to shave a good couple of hundred more feet from the proposed tower. Still wish it could be taller, but at 899 ft will be by far the tallest building in Jersey City (and New Jersey) and the building is likely to be very substantial as it looks like the square footage will remain over a million square ft. No skinny tower here! And of course incredible views especially of Lower Manhattan!
Weird , the flight patterns stay over the Hudson River...why should they affect buildings on land...the WTC was not affected.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I know it seems odd, but there was some pushback from the FAA for whatever reason and it looked for awhile as if they would force this tower to 800 ft or lower.... while I'm not happy it had to come down from 990 ft at least 899(why not 900 exactly? **** retentive bureaucrats!) ft is still a substantial building that easily becomes the focus of the skyline. I wonder thought what bearing that will have when 55 Hudson comes up for approval, the Goldman Sachs owned lot on the other side of 77 Hudson. It was talked about as a 95 story, possibly supertall commercial structure(though at 910,000 sq ft seems ideal for a mostly residential/condo use with hotel and retail... seems too small square footage wise to emphasize commercial)

Still.glad that 99 Hudson looks back on track and hopefully will be groundbreaking by the spring.

·
16,156 Posts
Plans for N.J.'s new tallest tower get federal OK

By Terrence T. McDonald | The Jersey Journal
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on January 12, 2016 at 4:43 PM

A rendering of the Downtown Jersey City skyline that includes 99 Hudson St., a 95-story residential tower that will start going up this spring. Rendering courtesy of Jersey City.
The Jersey Journal

New Jersey is one step closer to having a new tallest tower.

Real-estate site New York YIMBY reports that developers of a 950-foot tower planned for Hudson Street has received clearances from the Federal Aviation Administration.

The FAA said the tower would have "no substantial adverse effect" on the utilization of navigable airspace, New York YIMBY reports.

China Oversea America is behind the project, which is set to include 760 condo units and about 18,000 square feet of commercial and retail space in its 95 stories.

Construction is expected to begin in late spring, after it receives approvals from the city's planning board and council.

Once built, the tower is expected to rise 169 feet above the Goldman Sachs tower, the current tallest building in the state
Read Full Article Here

New York Yimby Source

·
Registered
947 Posts
From what I read, it will have to reach no higher than an agreed 899 ft according to the waiver from the FAA... I wish reporters would be more meticulous about keeping up with the latest. I do hope though that when 55 Hudson on the Goldman Sachs lot on the opposite side of the 77 Hudson is ready for approval it can get a waiver to go higher as it was pitched as a 95 story, commercial(doubt it would remain primarily commercial when perfect for a hotel/ condo/retail usage at 900,000 square ft).

1 - 20 of 210 Posts