SkyscraperCity Forum banner
261 - 280 of 443 Posts

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Downtown - so as West Hudson mentioned, the large lot across from Modern lofts/321 Warren was closed off this past weekend...however, today there were cars parked there again.

321 Warren St

461 Newark Ave

Not sure what this is - right by the US Gas station

Park/Shore

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
A few from my phone
Canopy Hotel site

360 9th Phase 2

Revetment House

338 Pavonia Ave

245 Newark Ave - something really went wrong here. I wonder what it was - some architectural or contractor problem with the brick? The nearly final building looks very odd

·
Registered
75 Posts
A few from my phone

245 Newark Ave - something really went wrong here. I wonder what it was - some architectural or contractor problem with the brick? The nearly final building looks very odd
^^

Yeah, is there some kind of neighborhood ordinance that requires these new construction to look like they were built a hundred years ago? I was in London earlier this year and was completely taken by the how even all of the smaller building had very unique and eye catching styling elements. Even the lower east side of Manhattan has a section like that.

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,623 Posts
^^^ Certain historic districts have very specific rules requiring a faux-historical look. I know the area around Van Vorst Park and specifically along Bright Street requires that in order to ensure someone doesn't throw up an ugly concrete box. 245 Newark's own leasing site mentions "modern living in a historic neighborhood." Newark Avenue itself is in between and not within historic districts as seen on page IX-6.
http://www.jerseycitynj.gov/uploadedFiles/City_Government/18%20-%20Historic%20Preservation%20Plan%20Element%20Amendment%2003-10-2015.pdf

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
It's moreso that originally, it looked like it was going to be clad differently. It seemed like it would be mostly brick (I didn't see the original plans or anything, just what the construction looked like half a year-a year ago) and then suddenly now it looks like 3 different buildings, and sort of naked. Maybe that was the intention - to break up the size of the building by making it look like a few separate buildings. But I think the final result looks odd and somehow incomplete.

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,623 Posts
Yes, it is that specifically. They are trying to avoid the long repeating facades like Hoboken has in the northwest corner.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I think moreso what bothers me is that middle section, which I think could have used a better ratio of bricks to...whatever the facade is. Maybe the opposite ratio of what it is now. The white building looks odd too without any brick.

From last week:

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
From last week (rest of downtown)

463 Newark Ave

380 Newark

382-384 7th St - demolished, project unknown.

Hamilton House Phase 2

385 8th St

320 7th St

313 7th St

320.5 6th St

342.5-344 5th St

309 5th St

58 Coles St

323 4th St

Fencing around the now-closed Delta gas station on Newark Ave - something happening here?

156-166 Brunswick - still clearing the site

359 and 355 5th

379 5th St

124 Brunswick

102 Brunswick

414-416 1st

255 Newark Ave

141,143 and 145-147 (1Republik) Newark Ave

Jersey City Public Library

333 Grand St - looks pretty good. 88 Regent, a 32-story building, was recently approved for the site next to it. Big for the area, but bigger will come

54 Bright St and its green wall art. Nice building, and incredibly slow

28 Bright St - for some reason I thought these were supposed to be affordable, or maybe just partially - Luxury Condominiums doesn't scream affordable (although the price relatively is, compared to further downtown)

16 Bright St

Gull's Cove 2, looking complete, at least externally

Lenox and Lenox Phase 2

206-208 York St

220 York St

4 Mercer St

72 Wayne St

228 Bay

Canopy Hotel - test piling

321 Warren

Road work by Vantage

·
Registered
947 Posts
The Canopy Hotel...yeesh. Ten stories in between far larger buildings... I really hope they rethink it. I love 333 Grand Street..... love it but wish they didn't go for those heating/air conditioning vent systems. Many other really intriguing small-medium developments going on.... thanks for the updates, appreciate them!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Thanks! With winter coming, I probably won't do as many, but I try to get out and check out what's going on at least once a month.

I think the Canopy's design, more than anything, is what's unfortunate. In a way, a little height diversity doesn't hurt - although I still think it could have used another 10-15 more stories.

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,623 Posts
Some smaller infill looks really nice. It just helps for it to have a nicer design. The current design looks like crap!

The project is listed under the name "Morgan Point Canopy" but that is clearly the round entrance to the PATH station sans-Marriott next to it. The will be partially funded the EB-5 Visa program. The building in the render looks like it is only 9 floors so it might be the design of the previous hotel project from 2013 that died. There are other Canopy by Hilton hotels planned for West Palm Beach and Baltimore also looking for EB-5 funds.

https://visaeb-5.com/project/morgan-point-canopy/

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Happy New Year everyone!

From last week - the most interesting change is that 460 Grand (planned 10? Story building across the street from 100 Colden), is digging. The site was for sale and changed hands - I'm surprised this was a serious project.

100 Colden (across the street) has a poster of what the building will look like. No other work there though. There's always the possibility that the 460 Grand site is being used as staging for it.

333 Grand St

54 Bright St

28 Bright St

16 Bright St

The Lenox

321 Warren

Canopy Hotel

141-143 Newark Ave and One Republik

124 Brunswick

245 and 255 Newark Ave

380 Newark Ave

Hamilton House 2

385 8th St

156-166 Brunswick St

359 5th St

342.5-344 5th St

320.5 6th St

320 7th St

313 7th St

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Some outside of downtown (or rather, the main area) construction:

460 Grand (10 Stories) is piling - surprised, this one definitely came in under the radar. Terrible picture, sorry

Next to the Avenir site (1075 West Side Ave), 161 Van Wagenen Ave is being demolished. This site was for sale, with plans for an 8 Story building (per JerseyDigs. Looks like it was purchased mid-last year, and perhaps the new owner is moving forward with it. If Avenir starts up as well, this could spark some changes in this area.

Lastly, a Bergen-Lafayette update, from the Bergen-Lafayette thread:

Drove by this area (as a passenger) on 78. There is a TON of construction going on. Unfortunately, I only had my phone and got some not so great photos while driving by.

But a rundown:

- 420-424 Whiton St - exterior seems complete
- 313-321 Pine St - one of the buildings (there will be 2 back to back) is up about 4/6 stories.
- 440 Whiton St - 1/6 floors framing coming up
- 132 Monitor St - Piling, 2 6 story buildings
- 72-74 Maple St - Fields Construction fence up, excavator on site. 8 Story building
- Unknown building with blue water barrier - this could be part of the 313-21 Johnston demolition, or it could be 381 Whiton already built.

All of these in a 3-block square. Lots of stuff going on, for sure

Crane is for 440 Whiton, 420 Whiton looking complete behind it

Piling rig for 132 Monitor in front of "Distort" warehouse (hard to see, to the right of the graffiti), 313-321 Pine coming up behind/on the left of the warehouse

Fenced-off site for 72-74 Maple in the middle-rear of this photo

Also, a terrible photo of part of 312 Pacific, which is finishing up

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Something I find interesting with Google Maps - when working in My Maps, the maps are usually more up to date than the 3D ones on Google Maps.

In this case, some parts of it are more up to date, but others are actually less recent than the newest Google Maps 3D update.

Interesting to look around, in any case.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Cross-posting from the Bergen-Lafayette thread:

2/3

420-424 Whiton St - topped out and looking nearly complete, from the outside at least

440 Whiton/2-16 Ash St - now under construction and being called The Ashton

313-321 Pine Street - 4 stories up

323-325 Pine St - starting to be demolished

313-321 Johnston - fully cleared out and yes, owned by GothamWest. No info about it that I can find, though

132 Monitor - piling looks complete.

100 Monitor - no movement

72-74 Maple St - piling in full swing. This will be an 8 story building

This building on Johnston Street has some wrapping on it, but really looks abandoned (and is for sale)

308 Whiton St

284-286 Whiton St

312 Pacific Ave

381 Communipaw

275 Pacific Ave

Also - some equipment between 78 and the light rail in the area - probably for some work on 78 though

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
West Side Update, 2/3

Construction ongoing on the NJCU (University Place) campus as well as some other projects.

University Place - one building nearing completion. The other has yet to start

This is quite a large building, for this area

The completed NJCU building and road work

305-311 West Side Ave

West Side Estates - looks like two haven't been built and don't seem to be being built right now

340-348 West Side Ave - demolished. 60 Unit building

353-363 Claremont Ave - called The Claremont now, actually a collection of 5 connected (and a 6th separate) townhomes. Sort of looks like a singular building

The separate building, with a different small one- or two-family under construction next to it

8 Yale Ave

407 West Side Ave

405 West Side Ave was demolished since last time I was out here

St Mark Community Center - complete

74 Pollack - 6 story building proposed

A look at the surrounding area - several similar buildings have been built in recent years

The very large 100 Water Street site - will eventually hold 3 buildings, although definitely looks big enough for more

16 Bennett Street - nearing exterior completion

364 Virginia Ave - only a 3 story building for here

544-546 West Side Ave

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Other areas, 2/3

Canal Crossing work, from the light rail

The Lenox 2 from the light rail

460 Grand pile driver

Lafayette Lofts

141,143, and 145 Newark Ave

380 Newark Ave

Hamilton House 2

Revetment House

333 Grand

Hyatt House (now open, along with the Terrace restaurant - Rooftop to open when warmer)

Paulus Hook Housing renovations

321 Warren St

Canopy Hotel

261 - 280 of 443 Posts