SkyscraperCity banner

361 - 380 of 424 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Yes, the Oakman 2 is really flying. I believe it's topped out today, but hard to tell, they added another floor over the last two days that I wasn't expecting.

From today:

A few changes - 2 new projects have started in Journal Square, close to the new courthouse - 32 Oakland Ave (14 stories, site prep) and 348 Baldwin Ave (6 stories, under construction). These are significant as they are on the other side of Newark Ave, between Rt 139. This area hasn't yet been developed.

32 Oakland Ave

348 Baldwin Ave - this one already has a contractor - Katerra

Other Journal Square projects
36 Jones St

87 Newkirk St

65 Newkirk St

190 Academy St

28 Vroom St

156-160 Academy St

205 Baldwin Ave

407-413 Summit Ave - ready for demo

74-76 Cottage St

78 Cottage St

60 Cottage St

Central Ave Extension

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
From today, downtown
Hilton Canopy

321 Warren

400 Newark Ave - one building was demolished. Maybe this is starting soon now that their other project 200 Merseles St is getting closer to completion

Speaking of their other project - 200 Merseles St

366 6th St - looks complete

332 Newark Ave

385 5th St - I thought this and 338 Newark Ave would be one project and built at the same time, but I guess they will be built separate as this one is progressing, while 338 Newark seems to be for staging

333 Newark Ave

375 5th St

156-166 Brunswick St

270-272 Newark Ave - presumably it sold at auction or afterwards, as the auction sign has been removed

233-235 Newark Ave

·
Registered
268 Posts
Harborside 8 and the other tall building on the waterfront both have submitted plans/approved. 25-story Urby coming to Journal Square. Several other developments have been submitted recently too I believe

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the great updates as always, Oron.

In addition to the updates msands mentioned above, it also looks like there's FINALLY been a settlement to develop 45- and 35- story towers on/near a portion of the 6th Street Embankment, with the remainder being converted to an 8-acre public park: https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/10/fulop-agreement-reached-to-develop-part-of-6th-street-embankment-build-park-on-rest.html

Really exciting and looking forward to seeing the final design. Hopefully the settlement is signed & the park constructed as soon as possible!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
From 12/22
Canopy by Hilton - slowly finishing up

153 Morgan St

321 Warren St - just the lobby area left to complete

141 & 143 Newark Ave - one under construction, one complete and named the Sophia

518 Jersey Ave

208 Columbus Dr and 39-41 Maxwell Ave

233-235 Newark Ave

369-371 Second St

105 Brunswick St - this building popped up quick

102 Brunswick St - this building is slow

98 Colgate St

200-202 Merseles St

332 Newark Ave

338 Newark Ave - I thought that this and 386 5th St would be one combined building, but it looks like they may be separate, although they are on the same site. 338 Newark is piling along

386 5th St, meanwhile, is already building out a foundation

333 Newark Ave

400 Newark Ave

375 5th St

387 8th St - one of the several BGT Enterprises sites with no real movement (they've also got 400 7th St and 318 Newark Ave which has been sitting quiet for years). I wonder what's holding them from developing these - the only building I think they are working on is 369 Second St. This one, at least, had some interesting..cars parked in it

156-166 Brunswick St - one of the two buildings are under construction

175 Second St

144 First St - quiet

150 Bay St - not much change externally - they are adding dorms on the upper floors

460 Grand St - finally restarted work. Cladding going up

Some smaller downtown projects

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Thanks for the great updates as always, Oron.

In addition to the updates msands mentioned above, it also looks like there's FINALLY been a settlement to develop 45- and 35- story towers on/near a portion of the 6th Street Embankment, with the remainder being converted to an 8-acre public park: https://www.nj.com/hudson/2019/10/fulop-agreement-reached-to-develop-part-of-6th-street-embankment-build-park-on-rest.html

Really exciting and looking forward to seeing the final design. Hopefully the settlement is signed & the park constructed as soon as possible!
This agreement confuses me a bit - when they refer to the land being given to Albanese for development, do they refer to the actual portion of the Embankment (between Marin and Grove on 6th St) or the adjacent site that currently has the Roberto Clemente baseball field and firehouse? There was a redevelopment some time ago that mentioned the possibility of a 30 and 40+ story towers on this site, so I'm wondering if it is related to this or there are just going to be 4 potentially large towers within two blocks here.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Working on foundation. No crane yet as of last weekend.

I have a large update, but I won't be able to upload until tomorrow evening (takes too much effort from here), but here was 88 Regent last weekend

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The rest, 1/1-1/12

Downtown

153 Morgan St

Provost Square Phase 3 (not much for now)

Hilton Canopy - inching closer to completion

321 Warren St - almost complete, Lackawanna Coffee and Nimbus Arts Center coming soon

16 Bright St

37 Bright St - recently demo-ed. 3 story building planned

87 Bright St

89 Bright St

268 Varick St (Bright and Varick)

101 Grove and future Liberty Harbor North building - rear site is for 101 Grove, foreground parking lot for another smaller future building

460 Grand

338 Newark Ave - piling complete

386 5th Ave

200-202 Merseles St

332 Newark Ave - this really stole 318 Newark Ave's thunder didn't it?

For a reminder - what 318 Newark was supposed to look like (if it ever gets built)

333 Newark Ave

375 5th St (and 318 Newark lot in foreground)

156-166 Brunswick Ave - the 156 Brunswick building is currently under construction

98 Colgate St

102 Brunswick St

105 Brunswick St

198 Wayne St

369-371 2nd St

285 Newark Ave - recently fenced off and building shows sign of interior demo. Should be demo-ed soon

Rendering:

233-235 Newark Ave

141 Newark Ave

59 Coles St

48 Coles St

307 3rd St

330 5th St

320 1/2 6th St - they'll finish this eventually

223 Pavonia Ave

170 Erie St

"Embankment House 3" (LeFrak's land between Monmouth and Brunswick on 10th) - looks like they are moving dirt around? But then again, it's looked like that for years so I don't know if this marks a change

700 Washington aka The Beach

The pier in front of Ellipse - looks like they are working on this -a park, if I'm not mistaken - but a bit confused about all the piles? Some structure in the park maybe?

Holland Tunnel Pier Replacement - looks just about done

Pier 6 - nada

I'm still pretty shocked that Newport hasn't done anything about this busted pier next to the Holland Tunnel Pier - it's just ugly and clearly had amenities. Can they really not afford to fix it or do something? It makes the place look a bit shabby and run down

The Powerhouse

175 2nd St

Teases on big sites: Avalon Cove! (...no they are just doing some random landscaping work)

Harborside Plaza 8! (actually not sure what these fences are for - they aren't permanent construction fences though. Could be unrelated, or maybe for some soil testing?)

Other minor downtown works

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
McGinley Square + nearby, 1/11

I'm not sure what to classify the Communipaw corridor or the Grand Street area between Bergen Lafayette and McGinley. I'll call it Communipaw-Grand...

McGinley Square

720 Bergen Ave - actually this one was done some time ago, just don't remember if I photographed it then. Not the prettiest building

87 Storms Ave - one of like 7 buildings proposed for this block and a half. None have actually started yet as far as I can tell. I thought 720 Bergen would be the "halo" building that would jump-start development here but it's not that big. 289 Jordan is much more likely to be that building.

65-67 Storms Ave - really, the only other building being constructed here (assuming you consider 136 Summit outside of McGinley Square)

Speaking of...136 Summit, coming along nicely

With the neighboring site 118 Summit, which appears to be being used for staging

118 Summit

The weird little maze of streets of Jewett, Fairmount and Storms is partially closed off with a "Pedestrian Plaza Coming Soon" sign and planters. I'd call it more of a park than a pedestrian plaza? Unless they plan to add some food or retail, or move these planters...

550 Johnston site and Bergen-Lafayette in the background

184 Summit Ave

18 Orchard - movement? No, I think it was always gravel

289 Jordan Ave

711 Montgomery - small equipment on site? Is it related?

762 Montgomery St - the smaller scale dorm St Peter's is proposing (presumably instead of the 21 story building proposed for 688 Montgomery St)

455 Mercer St

678 Bergen Ave

Grand-Communipaw Area

503-509 Communipaw Ave - demolished. This should be significant to help jumpstart some of the other proposals for these few blocks of Communipaw and Grand

84 Madison Ave

12 Ivy Place (complete) and 14 Ivy Place

660 Grand St - the old towing office, converting to 27 units residential

632-652 Grand St

37-39 Cornelison - completed a bit ago, renting out now. Looks decent, but definitely in a bit of an odd area right now. 660 Grand should help, as well as any of the other proposed Grand Street lots on either side of it

Other small works nearby

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
We should have a separate thread for this project:

Harborside 8 - approved

Rendering via NY Yimby:

Parking lot recently closed:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
A few from my window from the last week and a half

460 Grand - this one is reaaaly slow

With 660 Grand

268 Varick

518 Jersey Ave

136 Summit

A few I can't quite recognize from the window

Somewhere on 3rd?

Somewhere on the Heights

Somewhere...in Greenville?

And something on the West Side/Greenville?

·
15,838 Posts
Once all this story with virus is over I will get to JC with my camera and do some pictures of all of this

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Well aside from the photos from my window, I actually went out a few times over the past 2.5 weeks to get some air - so I took some photos (solo walks, very social distanced - like 10+ feet away from anyone even if I had to walk in the middle of the street etc). Wouldn't necessarily recommend, but sitting all day was causing my back to act up so a little air didn't hurt.

For starters, some window shots:
172 Second St - Oakman 2

VYV 2

141-143 Newark Ave + 518 Jersey Ave in the background

Work on one of the smaller village projects - 338 Newark, 386 5th or 375 5th

233-235 Newark Ave

136 Summit Ave

460 Grand and 660 Grand (background)

268 Varick

Many projects in one shot

Journal Squared 2

205 Baldwin and 34-36 Jones St

134 Baldwin and 28 Vroom St

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
For some reason you can only post 20 images per post now. Just seems like I'll have to post a lot more posts....

289 Jordan

455 Mercer?

Greenville/West Side

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
From over the last two weeks:

Oakman 2

153 Morgan + 155 Morgan

Canopy by Hilton - working on ground floor landscaping

321 Warren St - complete and open, still working on ground floor spaces

141-143 Newark Ave