SkyscraperCity banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
Its something, but they are certainly not going to dig the foundation of a massive skyscraper with that.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
From last weekend - the lonely excavator is still there. Parking lot next to the excavator is ripped up. No other movement

·
Registered
50 Posts
Early this morning, I noticed the Citibike Station was moved from in front of the One JSQ lot's fence on JFK Blvd over to the Sip Avenue side in front of 30 JSQ.

Another slow step to getting this project started? #SnailsPace

·
Registered
947 Posts
According to CIA at Skyscraperpage, a key permit needed to be processed to start construction has been filed, and says with these permits granted construction on projects usually start about three months or so from that..so hopefully by late March. Even better news.... the heights of both buildings have been amended. the larger one will increase from 892 ft to 942 ft and the smaller will increase from 700 ft to 730 ft. Hopefully that portends a corresponding increase at the 30 Journal Square project they own that will be centered on the old Jersey Journal headquarters, originally tabbed for 72 stories, 799 ft. We could be on the cusp of tremendous revitalization and reworking of the Journal Square hub!

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
942 feet!!!! This will dominate the landscape, with one equally massive tower across the street at 30 Journal Square (behind the Jersey Journal) and as many as 6-8 other towers. The future skyline of Journal Square will be incredible!

·
Registered
947 Posts
942 feet!!!! This will dominate the landscape, with one equally massive tower across the street at 30 Journal Square (behind the Jersey Journal) and as many as 6-8 other towers. The future skyline of Journal Square will be incredible!
Yeah, the one across the street at 30 Journal Square was set for 72 stories and 799 ft and most likely will get a nice bump too.. hopefully we'll have at least two 900 ft towers in the area...is it possible any other site in that Journal Square hub area get another sizable tower....there's a lot of low rise buildings going up to Summit Avenue on the Sip Avenue side. We know about 101 Newkirk which surprisingly will be developed to 50 stories a couple of blocks away from the hub area and the two towers that can be built near the Loew's Theater potentially with the arts district plan... I'd love someday to see the Path headquarters which is a symbol of the decline of Journal Square demolished for a signature tower/new headquarters but is there any other spot in the hub area capable of being developed into a substantial tower? I know there are some midrises approved as well nearby but anyone know or at least give an educated guess about this?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah, the one across the street at 30 Journal Square was set for 72 stories and 799 ft and most likely will get a nice bump too.. hopefully we'll have at least two 900 ft towers in the area...is it possible any other site in that Journal Square hub area get another sizable tower....there's a lot of low rise buildings going up to Summit Avenue on the Sip Avenue side. We know about 101 Newkirk which surprisingly will be developed to 50 stories a couple of blocks away from the hub area and the two towers that can be built near the Loew's Theater potentially with the arts district plan... I'd love someday to see the Path headquarters which is a symbol of the decline of Journal Square demolished for a signature tower/new headquarters but is there any other spot in the hub area capable of being developed into a substantial tower? I know there are some midrises approved as well nearby but anyone know or at least give an educated guess about this?
The only major potential spot where there is definitely no height limit is where that burger king just shut down on Summit Ave, across from Sanai's and next to Dunkin Donuts.

101 Newkirk goes way above the current height limit for where it is, so it is possible that the board is willing to expand no height limit zones beyond the "Sip Summit Pavonia Kennedy rhombus". The empty lots at the corner of Pavonia and Summit certainly have tall potential. There's still a ton of empty lots in that area with a lot of potential.

·
Registered
947 Posts
The thing that makes no sense is that I heard the Burger King is going to be demolished for a low rise Social Security office.... in the shadow of three major high rises in the Journal Squared development plus next to Sanai 's where the HAP tower will eventually go(though they limited themselves to 42 stories, unlikely to go over 500 ft but will be quite massive and bulky) it just seems a terrible idea if true. There are several low rises on Sip between the Transportation Center and the corner of Summit... are they possible candidates? Also thought the decision to limit the Hudson County Community College library to like five or six stories was premature and unwise...could have used the college library as a base for a tall structure.

Regarding 101 Newkirk I was surprised it received no pushback by usual highrise hater Councilman Richard Biggiano but he seems to be on board with the tower... I think the developers are making some sort of plaza to honor Jane Tuers and that was essential for Biggiano's support. Plus he likes the retail market/park/plaza component that 30 Journal Square will offer, so he got behind that one too. I think that to get the towers by the Loew's passed he'd really have to see tangible building of artistic venues by the Harwoods or whomever gets to develop the Arts District. Hopefully though that will occur whether it is studio space, galleries, or theater space.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Good news and bad news. Good news is it does appear closer to actual groundbreaking, but the bad news is the height has been cut. No longer 942ft, or even 892 ft as originally planned. Looks like the FAA cut it to 777ft.. on Skyscraperpage the FAA final approval of project was posted and after a fairly long review we lost some height. Unfortunately, the FAA may never approve any supertalls in Jersey City due to its proximity to Newark Airport. According to my source JCMAN320 however, in some additional good news, the second tower will be built simultaneously with the taller tower... currently listed at 730 ft, hopefully no reason to believe that height will be diminished. Along with soon to start tallest tower at Journal Squared(also reported in Skyscraperpage and confirmed by JCMAN320)rising to a height of 759 ft to the roof, despite the bummer news of the height cut at One Journal Square soon we will be realizing a tremendous transformation of the heart of the Square. The first(and shortest) of three towers at the Journal Squared development is already here at 53 stories, and 563 ft. After the two towers at One Journal Squared are built out... since they are scheduled to be simultaneously built, the project's completion according to the FAA page I mentioned is scheduled by end of May, 2019....30 Journal Square, another project developed by the same firm building the One Journal Square project, should be ready to commence right across the street. This one will rise around and over the iconic Jersey Journal building. There's 101 Newkirk, supposedly approved already as a 50 story highrise. There is the HAP tower on Summit Avenue right across the street from the three tower Journal Squared project that can go 42 stories and rise nearly 500 ft. As well potentially two towers that can be realized at least 60 stories if the Loew's Theater arts district proposal can go into effect. It's a bummer that dreams of potential supertalls cannot be realized here as it appears that's the direction the FAA is going, but in a few years things will really be transforming before our eyes and 5-10 years from now the heart of the Square will be something to really get proud of and excited about!

·
18,563 Posts
the FAA has become a plague for tall developments. It's true that the area doesn't necessarily need the height, but developers, architects, and the city in general really lose out when it comes to iconic stature. The developers want to get their projects done, so they don't challenge FAA rulings in order to proceed without a lengthy process. The FAA also recently put their noses into Long Island City.

·
Let's Revive our Cities
2,556 Posts
Journal Square is on a really significant cliff at an elevation of 85-90 feet while Downtown/Waterfront is much lower (20 feet). Hopefully the FAA will realize that there are a lot of far taller skyscrapers one mile away across the Hudson and allow Downtown JC to build higher.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I saw that a couple of proposed 900+buildings in the LIC area of Queens were lopped off to close to 750 ft. The FAA is being more forceful these days, but the buildings in Manhattan aren't over the same flight paths surrounding the local airports? I really hope the proposed 30 Journal Square tower, probably which will be developed after the two towers of One Journal Square are built out(they will be done simultaneously as per JCMAN320 at Wired NY's "Jersey City Rising" forum) will remain at the proposed 72 stories, 799 ft and not be shaved any. The good news on One Journal Square is that the smaller tower got a height bump up to 777, same height as the formerly intended 942 ft taller second tower was loped down to. It does look like groundbreaking will begin very soon now.

And as well the second and largest tower at the Journal Squared development also received it's final approval from the FAA and interestingly enough seemed to hold up to a slight height bump and will be 759 ft. So in very short order we'll be seeing a trio of massive residential/mixed towers all over 750 ft. transforming the skyline of the heart of Journal Square. Within five years we'll have at least four towers between 759 and 799 ft anchoring a truly modernizing Journal Square(and several more of height of 500ft and upwards). So while the downsizing of the biggest tower is a bit of a bummer, lots to be excited about over the next few years!

Regarding downtown, other than the two lots owned by Goldman Sachs at 50 and 55 Hudson, are there any more potential areas for 900+footers? I dread too that 900ft will be the limit even for downtown as per what happened with 99 Hudson getting chopped from 950 to 899ft... but other than possibly the lot on 111 First which was supposed to have been built out as the centerpiece of the PAD district, where else can 900ft be justified or practical downtown/waterfront?

Oh, and thanks towerpower for the info on the elevation disparities between the Square area and the waterfront.

41 - 60 of 100 Posts