SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
16,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is for the Soho West neighborhood redevelopment along the backside of Newport and Hamilton Park... I felt the main infill thread was getting a little to cluttered...

http://www.hpnajc.org/News/3929205

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Good idea starting a thread for this area - there's going to be quite a bit of construction here over the next few years.

From my previous trip to this area - 4/17

Soho West (on the map Nexis posted, yellow area where it says "Soho Building") - first building topped out, second building starting

Cast Iron Lofts 2 - maybe complete

286-298 Coles St - demolishing buildings on site

Van Leer Place South - soil testing

Van Leer Place - nothing yet - but all (286-298 Coles, Van Leer Place + South) the same company (Hoboken Brownstone Company)

Decent overview from Hoboken Ave - 286-298 Coles will rise where the Empire State Building is, and closer to the camera. Van Leer Place will be over to the left, out of sight.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Renderings of 286-298 Coles St and Van Leer Place, via hpnajc.org (Hamilton Park Neighborhood Association)

Really wish I knew how to shrink those

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
4/30

Soho West

Cast Iron Lofts 2

286-298 Coles

More general overview of Soho West

From across the highway

Hoboken Brownstone, on site

Van Leer Place - soil testing rigs gone

Other sites:

Between 14th and 15th - marked as "commercial strip district" on the map

Statco Warehouse - I assume someday this will be converted into residential, or destroyed and replaced

Lackawanna Warehouse

Nearby site between 14th and 15th - hotel planned on this site, but no movement for a while

Corner of 14th and Grove - old bar, recently approved for a gas station (hooray?)

·
16,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I mostly just photograph this neighborhood from my window now. Maybe I'll make my way over there in a week or two

9/24

10/8

10/12

10/24 (with Bowie mural underway)

10/30

11/6

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
11/27 - Soho House envelope nearly complete. Some work left on the base. The central podium still looks like it has a few floors to rise.

286-298 Coles - site is cleared and quiet now

Van Leer Place - the South site, closer to 286-298 Coles, may have some movement. It's hard to tell exactly what's happening, but the parking lot is closed and looks to be cleared out (to be fair, I don't remember if it was just gravel to begin with). There's some material, although no vehicles to be seen. Could be a false alarm, but it's definitely more movement than the other 2 sites (Coles and the other Van Leer) owned by the same company

I guess this counts as the Soho West area - 598 Grove St, formerly a bar, was demolished and as far as I know is being replaced by a gas station (boo). It's right up next to the tunnel exit so understandable I guess

The site of the hotel next to it is still unchanged

·
Registered
192 Posts
Can't wait to see that whole stretch filled in with the Vinoly building. They did a really good job of maintaining the heavy industrial feel in this funky neighborhood.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I agree, it does look industrial - although I think part of that is because they haven't repaired the roads and sidewalks which definitely adds to the gritty feel.

A few shots of the Soho West building from afar

1 - 20 of 44 Posts