SkyscraperCity banner

Where would you move?

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
jive turkey
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As my current situation in Dallas has diminished almost to the point of no return, its made me realize something... I have nothing keeping me here besides another 6 month lease.. Its always been my dream to move to the city, and its beginning to look like a prime time.. If I can be broke in Dallas, whats stopping me from being broke in Jersey? So, with these thoughts running thru my head, there are a few questions that come to mind. The first of which is: Where?

Give me your feedback.. share your thoughts, advice.. whatever.. After the thread gets rolling, I'll use it to ask locals questions I might have as I consider this ballsy move..I'll be coming alone, so I figured Jersey would be a smart move cash wise.. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.....Harold and Kumar told me Hobokens the spot..:D

·
User
5,634 Posts
lol - I wouldn't live anywhere in Jersey to be honest. If I had to, it'd be Jersey City as it's the closest to the NYC feel plus the views. :eek: JC is also developing pretty nicely too, it's on the up for sure.

You should consider Queens and Brooklyn though, seriously.

·
jive turkey
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
savethewtc said:
lol - I wouldn't live anywhere in Jersey to be honest. If I had to, it'd be Jersey City as it's the closest to the NYC feel plus the views. :eek:

You should consider Queens and Brooklyn though, seriously.

I knew you'd say that..:D

I'd love Queens or BK... I just always thought Jersey would be so much cheaper.. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew..and still not have to boil my water before drinking it.. lol [JC]

·
User
5,634 Posts
swivel said:
I knew you'd say that..:D

I'd love Queens or BK... I just always thought Jersey would be so much cheaper.. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew..and still not have to boil my water before drinking it.. lol [JC]
I just searched around on craigslist for Queens, specifically Astoria and there's some pretty affordable prices up there. Do check it out. If you got any questions about any of the areas let me know.

·
Member, Winifred Fan Club
2,973 Posts
If you HAVE to live in Jersey-- not entirely a bad thing, I used to live further south down by New Brunswick --and you want to be near NYC, there's really only one appealing option. Jersey City. You're a Path train away from lower Manhattan, and you have a great view. The rents aren't quite too high yet so it may be very appealing.

You can also live up by the George Washington Bridge in Palisades Park. Lots of great Korean restaurants there (it's a veritable K-town) and you have the pretty GWB lit up at night. It is a little more expensive up there though. However, it's easy to get to Manhattan because there are plenty of buses that cross the GWB.

But have you considered Queens? You can get some pretty good room rents in Long Island City or Astoria. Those places are quaint enough to be Queens, but close enough to Manhattan that they may be better choices than Jersey City. And the rents go lower (but not much lower) and the commute gets hellishly longer as you go further out towards the island (but you get more and more suburban).

·
jive turkey
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Fuckin great.. my mouse just broke....

^ BoyBAhA.. right on.. I liked the idea of NJ because its just so much easier to find a place without all the red tape..ex. I've got 2 cats, and almost everywhere I've seen in Que has been "NO PETS"... and quite a few have crazy req.. like letter from yur job, and shit like that.. NJ just seems like a less daunting move for a guy whos never even set foot inside the tri-state area..

Kev.. thought about that, and Philly...

·
jive turkey
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yeah.. but as far as the # of open affordable apts, NJ seems to beat NY.... I've found some cheap stuff in Que, but they're few and far between....

I've found tons of stuff in NJ... but my mouse broke before I really got to search the NY market...

·
Registered
208 Posts
hey - my advice is to do the roomie thing for awhile until you figure out where you want to be long term, and have the fundamentals in place (job, etc). sell the car, put ur stuff in storage in dallas, and move on up with the bare necessities. you could find a roomate situation in the city that wont break the bank i'm sure. that way - you can be in the city you want explore. nj is fine - but its not nyc. i KNOW you could find an inexpensive rommate sit in close-in queens. check out craiglist and focus on astoria, woodside, LIC, jackson heights, etc. this way you'll be just a short subway ride from midtown (15-30 mins).

you need to be here man....glad ur thinking about doing this

·
jive turkey
2,343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
gothamaniac said:
hey - my advice is to do the roomie thing for awhile until you figure out where you want to be long term, and have the fundamentals in place (job, etc). sell the car, put ur stuff in storage in dallas, and move on up with the bare necessities. you could find a roomate situation in the city that wont break the bank i'm sure. that way - you can be in the city you want explore. nj is fine - but its not nyc. i KNOW you could find an inexpensive rommate sit in close-in queens. check out craiglist and focus on astoria, woodside, LIC, jackson heights, etc. this way you'll be just a short subway ride from midtown (15-30 mins).

you need to be here man....glad ur thinking about doing this
For sure.. me too bruh man

I worry about the whole roomie thing, but you're exactly right.. I'd have a job, or at least strong leads set up before I left.. Cars been sold, so thats taken care of.. I'd sell off alot of my furniture, and like you said, store the rest.. I was taken on ebay for 3 Grand about a year ago on a car, so when I sue this prick [ which happens to be from NY ] I'll have a little change in my pocket..

1 - 20 of 64 Posts