SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
One of my least favourite projects was discussed on the Projects Thread by Gregsone on 19th June 2009 . . .

"The scheme to redevelop Jesmond cinema (derelict for last 15 years) is due to go to planning committee tomorrow.

It is listed as recommended to refuse, as the proposed commercial building (retail and offices) is 1.5m taller than the existing eyesore, but there is strong support for the scheme in the community as most people want to see the site redeveloped and the existing building is rapidly decaying"

What the new building will look like

Then on June 20th, Greg reported . . . "Jesmond Cinema: Approved against officer recommendation"

Still no sign of works on the ground yet (Oct 2009) though.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Slightly Cynical there boys, there is no way you can tell me the Pigeon SHIT infested place that is now the Jesmond picture house is better than the render?:nuts::bash::bash::nuts:

·
Urban Environmentalist
1,661 Posts
I dont mind it too much, like the art deco styling. Though I have no affinity for the cinema as I had never been.

·
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont mind it too much, like the art deco styling. Though I have no affinity for the cinema as I had never been.
Jesmond Cinema (one of the few Newcastle suburban cinemas around in my lifetime) has many good memories for me, as a child, when growing up and into the late 1980s. I know a lot people with similar memories too, so it's demolition is a great shame.

I remember it as (especially as a child) one of those 'exciting' places to visit . . . I remember going through this red curtain across the door into the circle and then enjoying a good film.

I have some very sad photos of what it is like in there now . . .

·
The Legend
13,087 Posts
I agree something must be done with the site, but it just doesn't seem to blend in with other buildings around, it just doesn't give me the natural feeling, the it actually belongs their feeling.

Also it looks like it will be coverd in plain horrible plastic grey panels.

·
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
So, the inevitable has happened . . .

Jesmond Picture House is finally demolished
Oct 28 2009 by Sam Wood, The Journal

ONE OF the region's best loved old cinemas is finally being reduced to rubble, as it makes way for a new office and retail complex. Demolition work on the facade of the historic Jesmond Picture House, in Newcastle, began yesterday.

For more than 70 years the cinema showed some of the hottest movies from Hollywood to packed audiences. But as the popularity of the cinema declined so did attendances, and the reels stopped rolling in 1993.

Dozens of onlookers watched on yesterday as massive diggers and other machines moved in to begin tearing the building down. As the masonry fell, some of those watching spoke of their memories of the old cinema.

Ian Young, of Longbenton, used to regularly watch movies at the venue. He said: “It is a real shame to see it going. “I can’t believe there was no way for them to save it, surely it could have made a brilliant music venue. “I feel sad standing here watching it being demolished, it is part of Newcastle's history being torn down.”

Lesley McDonald, who has run a mobile cafe opposite the building for the last few years, said: “A lot of the residents round here have come to me and said they will miss the place. “It has a lot of memories for a lot of people.

“But it was turning in to a bit of an eyesore. It has been left to rot for far too long and I’m not sure that there was much else that could be done with it.” Work started on gutting the inside of the building earlier this month, and it is expected the cinema will be completely flattened by the end of the week.

The Picture House, on Lyndhurst Avenue, opened its doors in 1922 but closed in 1993. Various plans to redevelop the building have since failed.

But the latest scheme for the cinema next to the West Jesmond Metro station was approved last year by Newcastle City Council, following an extensive period of consultation with the Jesmond Residents’ Association and the local community. It is hoped that the projectors which were still in the building can be saved and used as part of the new building.

MK Partnership, owned by local businessman Sunil Mehra, has designed the new complex with the new building expected to be complete next year. Mr Mehra said: “Demolition of the Jesmond Cinema was the first phase of this high-profile project. This is a sensitive site and we’re very pleased that everything is going according to plan. “We are thrilled that the development of this site will revitalise West Jesmond by bringing new amenity, jobs and opportunity to the area.”

You can even watch a VIDEO of it's demolition, here . . . http://www.journallive.co.uk/north-east-news/todays-news/2009/10/28/jesmond-picture-house-is-finally-demolished-61634-25030988/

·
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The demolition was reported (see above posts) as long ago as OCTOBER, but the below article is in today's Evening Chronicle (Tuesday 29th December 2009). I would have thought that they would at least have now used a photo of the empty site!! Must be a (very) slow news day! . . .

Curtain falls on Jesmond Picture House
Dec 29 2009 by Sara Nichol, Evening Chronicle

BIT by bit, pieces of Tyneside cinema history disappeared from sight. Now, the iconic Jesmond Picture House only exists as a memory as demolition work on one of the region’s best-loved buildings has been completed.

An empty space marks the spot on Lyndhurst Avenue, Jesmond, Newcastle, where thousands of people once flocked to watch the latest films and hottest Hollywood movies.

The building, which closed its doors in 1993 after 70 years, had fallen into a state of dereliction, with part of the roof collapsed, letting in water and pigeons.

Various plans to redevelop the building failed until the latest scheme for the cinema, adjacent to the West Jesmond Metro station, were approved last year by Newcastle City Council following an extensive period of consultation with the Jesmond Residents’ Association and local community.

Work will soon start at the site to turn it into retail and office complex.

Although the building was demolished to make way for the new development, at least 90% of it will be recycled elsewhere.

MK Partnership, owned by local businessman Sunil Mehra, has designed the new complex with the new building expected to be complete next year.

Mr Mehra said: “Demolition of the Jesmond Cinema was the first phase of this high-profile project. This is a sensitive site and we’re very pleased that everything is going according to plan.”

The cinema opened its doors to the public in 1922 and survived the lean years of the 60s and 70s when other cinemas shut down, but was forced to close in 1993 following the rise of the multiplex and dwindling audiences.

In 2001 nearby residents fought a plan to turn the site into a Wetherspoons public house.

·
OneWorld
383 Posts
If the West Midlands is anything to go by (see sample list below), Weatherspoons would have made a real good job of maintaining the structure of the building (inside and out) and as I hear from cinema building historians in other parts of the country who have also had Weatherpoons conversions done, decorating the inside with photographs of the picture house in its heyday.

ABC (Imperial) Walsall
Dale Cinema, Willenhall nr. Walsall
Clifton Cinema, Sedgely nr. Dudley.

·
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The Jesmond Cinema was finally demolished in October last year.

Now, seven months later, we have a lovely gap in the streetscape, and no sign of the office block that was going to physically replace it.

These photos were taken today, 25th May 2010 . . .

·
cogito ergo sum
1,618 Posts
I heard a rumour that since Marks & Spencer lost enthusiasm for an outlet in the former Osborne Garage site, they were examining the potential for an outlet in the ground floor of this, the former Cinema, site.

Unconfirmed.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,149 Posts

·
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sainsbury's plan for Jesmond Cinema site
by Joanne Butcher, Evening Chronicle, July 19th 2011

STORE wars are set to break out in a Newcastle suburb.

Jesmond in Newcastle is already home to one supermarket, but now two more are set to open their doors – ramping up competition.

It means shoppers will be spoilt for choice as the shops battle for residents’ custom.

The suburb, popular with students, families and young professionals, is currently served by one small Tesco Metro store, on Acorn Road.

But a Waitrose is about to be built on the site of a former petrol station on Osborne Road, as part of a £4m development.

And now, the Chronicle can reveal Sainsbury’s are also preparing to open a supermarket, on the site of the demolished Jesmond Picture House on Lyndhurst Avenue.

The former cinema was pulled down last year to make way for shops and a restaurant.

A spokesman for Sainsbury’s said: “We are exploring an opportunity to open a Sainsbury’s Local in Jesmond and are in discussions with the developer of the site.

“As part of this activity we have submitted an alcohol licence.”

The store, which will cover an area of 2,400 square feet, sits just opposite West Jesmond Metro, next to the Lonsdale pub.

Read More - http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/north-east-news/evening-chronicle-news/2011/07/19/sainsbury-s-plan-for-jesmond-s-cinema-site-72703-29080014/#ixzz1SZAQAYd3

·
Between Manors and Byker
569 Posts
Saw that story today - quite a sad end for what was once a magnificent building. Never had the chance to visit it and see a film.

·
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Saw that story today - quite a sad end for what was once a magnificent building.

Never had the chance to visit it and see a film.

There are a lot of photos of the Jesmond Cinema earlier on in this thread, including some very sad 'internal ones' after the building had been left to rot for many years.

It was my Local Cinema for quite a few years, and I remember when visiting it as a child there was a red curtain over the entrance door to the circle, and it was always so exciting, as you pulled that curtain open to go into the auditorium itself.

Great times :)

·
21,719 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sainsbury's now confirmed as Jesmond Cinema successor
by Iain Laing, The Journal, August 10th 2011

SAINSBURY’S has been confirmed as the convenience store that will occupy the redeveloped Jesmond Picture House site in Newcastle.

The former Jesmond Picture House, by West Jesmond Metro station, will also provide the only modern office space of its type in Jesmond, while boasting world-class environmental credentials.

The design and planning has been refined to ensure the new commercial site is built in accordance to the highest certified BREEAM standards, which is the world’s leading design and assessment method for sustainable buildings.

The famous building, owned by developer MK Partnership, was pulled down last year. The investment property company is now working with Knight Frank and BNP Paribas to handle commercial matters for this landmark development.

Sunil Mehra, director at MK Partnership, said: “We are delighted to have Sainsbury’s on board as a key retail partner at this unique location as it will provide a major boost to the local economy in Jesmond.

“We have invested a huge amount of time, effort and resource in restoring this site into a top quality, state-of-the art and environmentally-friendly building, while also making sure it delivers huge benefits to the local community and by incorporating additional features to improve the site’s environmental credentials further, the aspiration is very much for the Jesmond building to achieve a much-coveted ‘Excellent’ rating.”

Read More (Two Pages) - http://www.nebusiness.co.uk/commercial-property-north-east/news/2011/08/10/sainsbury-s-revealed-as-cinema-successor-51140-29206764/

1 - 20 of 89 Posts