SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 898 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
e.g.

1. Housing redevelopments and conversions.

2. What is Freddie S planning to do with Jesmond Towers once Tracey Beaker has finished

3. What will become of the Quaker Meeting House should they sell up and move to Gosforth

·
21,966 Posts
e.g.

1. Housing redevelopments and conversions.

2. What is Freddie S planning to do with Jesmond Towers once Tracey Beaker has finished

3. What will become of the Quaker Meeting House should they sell up and move to Gosforth
Is the Quaker Meeting House thinking of relocating? I hadn't heard that!

After managing to survive (just) the ravages of the building of the Central Motorway East, it will be something of a shame.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the Quaker Meeting House thinking of relocating? I hadn't heard that!

After managing to survive (just) the ravages of the building of the Central Motorway East, it will be something of a shame.
I don't think it's definite, but it's definitely on the cards: to the (?) Masonic Hall in Gosforth. If so, presumably the old QMH would be demolished by the purchaser for new-build offices on the site: I can't imagine the old house, together with extension with two large rooms, would be easily convertible; and it no longer forms part of a coherent townscape to be spoiled. Shame though, if it happens.

·
21,966 Posts
I don't think it's definite, but it's definitely on the cards: to the (?) Masonic Hall in Gosforth. If so, presumably the old QMH would be demolished by the purchaser for new-build offices on the site: I can't imagine the old house, together with extension with two large rooms, would be easily convertible; and it no longer forms part of a coherent townscape to be spoiled. Shame though, if it happens.
How (in PHOTOS) the Quaker Meeting House 'only just' survived the building of the Central Motorway East, in 1972 to 1975, as shown in two issues of DIVERSION . . .

From Issue No. 17 (March 1974) of DIVERSION. The Quaker Meeting House is 'near top right' of this photo.

From Issue No. 18 (June 1974) of DIVERSION. The Quaker Meeting House is 'bottom centre' of this photo.

My point is, they went to a lot of effort to save it then, would be a pity for it to be lost now. It is not a 'world class' building, but it has been a part of the Newcastle streetscape for as long as I can remember. It was a great shame how "hemmed in" it became when the CME was built.

·
21,966 Posts
What was 'Diversion', NH? That looks an interesting publication.
DIVERSION, is something that I am very pleased that I have got a full and complete set of. It was a periodically issued news-sheet issued by the City Council throughout the entire period of construction of the Central Motorway East, over the period 1972 to 1975, when the CME opened.

It contains some quite unique plans and photos of the progress of this huge project (step by step) which has had a 'marked' impact on our City Centre and its immediate suburbs, ever since.

As I say, I am pleased that I managed to acquire and retain all of these, and (if anyone could ever want such a thing) as they are only 'two-sided' or at most 'four-sided' newsheets, I would be happy to scan them in and publish them on here, over a period of time.

People today, would then be able to follow the CME construction, step-by-step, just as people in the 1970s did! If enough people (or indeed 'anyone') thinks that would be of interest, and a good idea, just let me know.

·
21,966 Posts
OK . . not actually a Jesmond DEVELOPMENT (as this thread is called) but I really quite like this photo-montage of my favourite Newcastle Suburb!

It is from this months (03/10) issue of "Accent" Magazine, which contains a 24 page (YES '24' pages) article about Jesmond, of which the montage is the first page . . .

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is an application for a 'blue chip' food retailer which has been approved by the council on Osborne Rd.

I think it will be an M&S Food, it's situated where the petrol station used to be near the junction with Acorn Road.

Might offer a less stressful alternative than Tesco.

·
Architect
3,725 Posts
Yup, I think we have the designs on here somewhere. Is this an application for a licence or planning permission? Either way, it's another one fo Freddie Shepherd's sites to come to fruition...

Welcome to the board by the way DS7!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks! I've been reading for a while now but not had much to add.

I believe its got planning permission, not sure when work is going to start though.

·
cogito ergo sum
1,619 Posts
to confuse things, (or clarify them?), the adjacent property + 1 was recently granted a change of use. That was the florists "fleurtatious", on the southern corner of Acorn Road and Osborne Road. It closed on Sunday (14th March, Mothers' Day) and is already being fitted out in preparation to re-open as a cafe.

There now seems to be rather a lot of cafes on and adjacent to Acorn Road - the most recent being the rather fine Cafe 1901 in the hall of St Georges methodist church (nest door to Jesmond library)

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
to confuse things, (or clarify them?), the adjacent property + 1 was recently granted a change of use. That was the florists "fleurtatious", on the southern corner of Acorn Road and Osborne Road. It closed on Sunday (14th March, Mothers' Day) and is already being fitted out in preparation to re-open as a cafe.

There now seems to be rather a lot of cafes on and adjacent to Acorn Road - the most recent being the rather fine Cafe 1901 in the hall of St Georges methodist church (nest door to Jesmond library)
yeah it is opening as "central bean" who also have an outlet in time central on gallowgate and another in the sanderson arcade in morpeth.

·
cogito ergo sum
1,619 Posts
Historical Tour

The Jesmond Walking Tour, takes place on the 27th March between 11.00 a.m. and 12.30 p.m. as part of the Jesmond Community Festival

The tour will be led by City Guides and will give an historical perspective of the locality, including St. Mary's Chapel, Well and Jesmond Dene.

Anyone who is interested in participating should meet outside St. George's Church Hall.
Tickets are free and can be obtained from the Jesmond Library (the Library is closed on Wednesday afternoons).
[Forgive me if this post isn't appropriate for a "Developments" thread. But I do hope the historical element is appreciated!]

·
21,966 Posts
The Jesmond Walking Tour, takes place on the 27th March between 11.00 a.m. and 12.30 p.m. as part of the Jesmond Community Festival

The tour will be led by City Guides and will give an historical perspective of the locality, including St. Mary's Chapel, Well and Jesmond Dene.

Anyone who is interested in participating should meet outside St. George's Church Hall.
Tickets are free and can be obtained from the Jesmond Library (the Library is closed on Wednesday afternoons).
Lived in Jesmond for about 12 years (in total) and still enjoy "walking around" the place!!

I think it was part of an earlier "Jes-Fest" (or something) but I went on a Jesmond Dene guided tour a few years back. Really interesting.

I might see if I (we!) can make it this Saturday!

1 - 20 of 898 Posts