SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 487 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The University website reports that the plot of vacant land opposite (the under construction) Information Commons will become the new home for the Departments of Law, History and English. The project (for the moment anyway) is called Jessop West.
Planning applications are in the making and will also include details for the full restoration of the old Jessop hospital which will become the new home for the Music Department. The University is playing a key role in that part of the city centre with its reclads (Dainton Building) and new buildings like the BioIncubator and Information Commons. I hope they will continue the trend set with the Information Commons.

I quote from the University of Sheffield website.

In 2001 The University of Sheffield acquired the site of the former Jessop hospital, with plans for innovative new buildings and refurbishments. Phase 1 saw the opening of the Sheffield Bioincubator in 2006, a brand new laboratory and support complex, which occupies part of the Jessop site.

Phase two: Building and restoration
The next phase will (subject to planning permission) restore the Grade II listed Victorian Wing on Leavygreave Road and construct an impressive new
academic building on the western corner of the site.

Design of the new building is in the capable hands of award-winning German architects Sauerbruch Hutton, renowned for designing iconic buildings with environmental sustainability a top priority.

It's hoped that building work will begin in early 2007.

Over the coming weeks, the finishing touches will be put to the planning applications for the Phase 2 projects. This will include an application for the development of the new Jessop West development, plus an application to enable us to restore the Victorian Wing.

This are only artist's impressions, the final design should (hopefully) be a bit more interesting.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I've got bad news for you. The reality of a finished building is never as good as the artists impression. Have you ever seen an artists impression with a rainy sky, litter in the streets & unsightly youths lolling on the corner? Or Bertie Bassett leaning over the balcony as we got on the artists impression of the Park Hill flats refurbishment?
If only life was one long artists impression :)

·
Registered
10,974 Posts
LINCS OWL said:
I've got bad news for you. The reality of a finished building is never as good as the artists impression. Have you ever seen an artists impression with a rainy sky, litter in the streets & unsightly youths lolling on the corner? Or Bertie Bassett leaning over the balcony as we got on the artists impression of the Park Hill flats refurbishment?
If only life was one long artists impression :)

Wrong...in some cases it can be better than the artistic impression, particularly on some of the better designed buildings such as Sinclairs, V1 etc.

·
Registered
2 Posts
its going to be a rainbow, our department was worried that we would lose our individuality, apparantly each "leg" will be given its own "colour"

·
do me bad things
7,550 Posts
madhatter101 said:
its going to be a rainbow, our department was worried that we would lose our individuality, apparantly each "leg" will be given its own "colour"
In what sense? Do you mean all of the different departments moving into the new building?

·
Registered
2 Posts
yes, law, history and english will share the new building, which is divided up into three wings or legs, with a central hub in the centre. each dpt/leg will have a different exterior colour

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The planning application for the Jessop building has gone in. Will be so nice to see that building being used again and restored to its former glory. It will nicely complement the cluster of university buildings around St. George's church.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looking through the Jessop proposals I understand now that most of the later additions will actually be demolished. If you look at the below map you can see that the new additions (in black square in image) will go and only the Victorian and Edwardian buildings of the former Jessop hospital will remain.
If I am not mistaken it also reads as if the new Jessop West building of the Uni will go on the plot of land next to St. George's church and not on the plot of land next to the Bioincubator, bordering Gell St (I originally thought that that was where the Jessop West building would be constructed.) Bit confused now...

Shame to see this bit go.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not sure that I like the look of this. They may be later additions but they are still substantial and historical red brick buildings (some of the tallest in the city excluding new developments) and could look well with a thorough refurbishment. I'd hate to see them go just be replaced with cheap look squat blocks which will look like a bad passing fad in 20 years. Chr*st I'm sounding like a conservationist.

·
do me bad things
7,550 Posts
The newer parts of the hospital are awful, and absolutely terrible inside. The Victorians knew how to make buildings last, and this part is a lot better than the rest of it!

What's going on in the area boarders by the ring road, Leavygreve road and the bioincubator then?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I agree. The part of the hospital that is to be demolished is vile, not in keeping with its victorian neighbour and beyond repair. I'm looking forward to seeing updated renders of the proposed building, then i'll make my judgement!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have learnt now that the new Uni Jessop West building is going on the plot of land behind the bio-incubator, bordering the ringroad whilst there are no plans yet for the new plot of land that will become available once the Jessop extensions have been knocked down.
Understand as well that the later extensions are riddled with asbestos, one of the reasons why they have to go.

·
do me bad things
7,550 Posts
So there will actually be a couple f decent sized plots around the Jessop complex once it's done.

Be nice to see one of them at least partly landscaped, and maybe a Union-run cafe like Pottobello St

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Maquette of Jessop West plus location plan.

The red wing will become the Department of Law, green the Department of English and Blue the Department of History.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I think it looks good. And it'll screen the bioincubator building a bit, which I think sticks out too much at the moment and doesn't fit in with the victorian hospital.

1 - 20 of 487 Posts