Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another conversion for the JQ on Branston Street with offices to be turned into 29 apartments. Nice looking building, let’s hope they do a tasteful job with it.

2018/00428/PA

·
22,358 Posts
Birmingham Jewellery Quarter | General Thread 2

The previous thread is experiencing corruption. Please use this thread going forward. I've not moved all posts as that may copy whatever problems are afflicting the original thread.

·
Break
0 Posts
So, Seven Capital are advertising Albion Court on Frederick Street with a banner http://eplanning.idox.birmingham.gov...=2017/10021/PA
despite not having the application approved. 1000Trades next door have objected to the application with concerns over noise and a lack of engagement. Best that you read their blog post:

http://1000trades.org.uk/1000-trades...l-development/
This has been refused on the basis that there would be too much noise and disturbance for any new residents caused by 1000 Trades & Fredericks opp with its outdoor seating area, late night hours and the comings and goings.

The impact of noise from entertainment uses within the immediate area would result in unacceptable living conditions for future occupiers. The installation of secondary or thermal glazing and ventilation in addition to keeping windows shut to address these issues would affect living conditions and alter the appearance of the building that may harm the character and appearance of the Jewellery Quarter Conservation Area

·
Registered
5,951 Posts
This has been refused on the basis that there would be too much noise and disturbance for any new residents caused by 1000 Trades & Fredericks opp with its outdoor seating area, late night hours and the comings and goings.
^^
I find this type of refusal, really "Grinds my Gears"!
Firstly 1000 Trades in my experience is a pretty friendly, quiet establishment. Fredericks as occasional parties, but generally is a friendly. quiet establishment, both close in midweek at 11.00pm unless I'm mistaken.
Isn't it the choice of the purchasers to decide if they want to live next to 1000 Trades and Fredericks?, in other words if you don't fancy the low level noise and disturbance simply DON'T MOVE THERE!
On this basis the whole of St George's and the Kettleworks area will be a cultural desert, no bars or restaurants in case someone gets "disturbed", because any application from a licensed establishment to give the area some "life", will be thrown out by a clearly "all knowing" planning department.
..and yet this same planning department okay's the Bank and 212 Broad Street where we're talking REAL NOISE and DISTURBANCE :nuts::nuts:

·
The promised land
17,656 Posts
^^
I find this type of refusal, really "Grinds my Gears"!
Firstly 1000 Trades in my experience is a pretty friendly, quiet establishment. Fredericks as occasional parties, but generally is a friendly. quiet establishment, both close in midweek at 11.00pm unless I'm mistaken.
Isn't it the choice of the purchasers to decide if they want to live next to 1000 Trades and Fredericks?, in other words if you don't fancy the low level noise and disturbance simply DON'T MOVE THERE!
On this basis the whole of St George's and the Kettleworks area will be a cultural desert, no bars or restaurants in case someone gets "disturbed", because any application from a licensed establishment to give the area some "life", will be thrown out by a clearly "all knowing" planning department.
..and yet this same planning department okay's the Bank and 212 Broad Street where we're talking REAL NOISE and DISTURBANCE :nuts::nuts:
The law places the onus on the business if there is ever a statuory noise nuisance. This means that the Council would need to server notice on the business if there was a complaint, to be quieter (reducing activity or installing mitigation which is sometimes costly) and if it continued to be a nuisance, it would eventually seek to close the establishment. I assume the Council is trying to prevent this happening by refusing the applicaiton.

The government is consulting on changes to this this though called the "Agent of Change" principle where the onus in planning terms would be on the applicant introducing a use contary to established uses, to make sure appropriate noise mitigation is put in place even if that means playing for the mitigation at the noise saurce.

While i see your point with Bank and 212 Broad Street, there isn't a single single establishment creating noise so noise nuisance as the grounds for refusing the application is more difficult as you would need to prove that the noise from the road and surrounding bars is so bad, i cannot be mitigated by design. I assume the above application couldn't provide a satisfactory noise environment indoors hence the refusal.

·
Break
0 Posts
Nigeman: November 29th, 2017
Noticed yesterday there's a development going on in Tenby Street North that seems to have gone under the radar.
On the empty plot next to Elizabeth Place and behind Roberts and Palmers there's a good deal of steelwork going up. I can't tell if its connected to Robert and Palmers or something new. Can't find any planning details.
Not massive when compared to the mega St Georges and Kettleworks projects at the end of the street, but another gap filler.
I noticed this too. Not huge but we don't want to see empty plots in the JQ There's another one just up the road too. But with this one, if it’s the spot you’re talking about, then it’s 14 apartments in a 4-storey building.
PerpetualBrum: There have been quite a few apps on this plot. In 2015 the architect died but the council deemed the design unsuitable for the area anyway, so it was withdrawn on the advice of the LPA. Now we have this new one. The RJ Smith frontage is deemed too unsound to convert into modern living accommodation. So that will most likely be replaced with this:

Back in 2012

Fortunately RJ Smith continues its manufacturing of cufflinks in premises right by JQ car park and has done since 2005, so it's not like they've been kicked to the curb.

The textile building fronting Carver Street and SGUV on the corner can’t have too much life left in it really can it? So that'll be developed next I'd imagine.

And while I'm on a roll, the other one up the road - 2017/08567/PA 20 Tenby Street North.

3/4 storey side extension by BPN Architects on that little plot of land which has been empty since the 70’s, for 7 new apartments. A nice little filler.

Apparently that’s a Grade 2 listed building and it’s vacant but this new proposal would see it revived into offices

The first one has a considerable amount of steelwork up now, as well as brickwork to the left hand side of the plot near the textile factory.

The second one - the void has been fenced off and scaffolding has commenced.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Approximately how many apartments in total are planned or under construction in JQ?
2000 at a guess, it depends what you consider to be the JQ and what you define as being ‘planned’ for example I haven’t included the bomb site in that estimate as it’s been awaiting development for forever and new plans that were scheduled to materialise in December are nowhere to be seen.

·
Break
0 Posts
Location plan on the site has it sitting on the site of that textile factory I mentioned above, which surely will be the next to bite the dust around here. Next to it is 41/42 Tenby St North, which has scaffolding & brickwork going up for 14 new apartments - 4 of which are townhouses, as that advert you've posted also mentions. Could be that?

By the way, that first render is hilariously out of place. What is this, Costa Del Birmingham (?)

·
Break
0 Posts
Best news today was this project I’d completely forgotten about, another project in the JQ that’ll retain its nineteenth-century character. Quite something that this is still standing 200 years on. The buildings date back to 1818 and 1823.

Part of the structure on the original house has been open to the elements + a lack of maintenance at the back means it will be rebuilt but the vast majority stands proud and I cannot wait for new life to be breathed back into it. The first app dates back to 2016, but work has not long started to refurbish the lot.

If you cannot appreciate this then you ought to have a long hard look at yourself ;)

27-32 Mary Street – just off Caroline Street

^^ Taken by Phyllis Nicklin back in 1968

Reminder of the apps: The 1818 JQ House
2016/07115/PA | 27-28 Mary Street, Ladywood, Birmingham, B3 1UD
- Full refurbishment and change of use of the existing two storey house
- Demolition of the two storey rear wing and construction of a new two storey building in associated with the main house

& the workshop extension dating back to 1823
App 2:
2017/10741/PA | 29-32 Mary Street, Ladywood, Birmingham, B3 1UD
- Full refurbishment of the existing two storey building to Mary Street;
- Change of use to private residential dwelling;
- Construction of a new two-storey residential building to the rear of the site

And the workshop in the background today with Arnie in the foreground.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
How long has Arnie been there for? It's a great idea, I hope it becomes a permanent fixture as it could potentially become quite a popular attraction;)

Otherwise I agree, the architecture around there is just beautiful. With more life breathed into it this could be an absolutely top notch part of town soon, and caroline street seems to be really thriving lately, very exciting!

·
Birmingham - #1
You won’t even notice I’m gone. 🕊
24,024 Posts
How long has Arnie been there for? It's a great idea, I hope it becomes a permanent fixture as it could potentially become quite a popular attraction;)

Otherwise I agree, the architecture around there is just beautiful. With more life breathed into it this could be an absolutely top notch part of town soon, and caroline street seems to be really thriving lately, very exciting!
Popped up mysteriously last night. No-one has claimed ownership yet :lol:
Just drove past the site, it's gone!!!

1 - 20 of 246 Posts