Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Lower Austria is the province (Bundesland) that surrounds the city of Vienna (the white spot on the map ;)).

Well... so fucking what, you might ask...
Lower Austria (=Niederösterreich) is not just the biggest province in my small, humble, cosy country, it's also the one where all Viennese spend their weekends.
There are dozens of great green spots to discover, amazing places to spend your time, catching some Alpine sun, some Pannonian sun, some Bohemian winds, to simply forget the city buzz.

Since I am about the most average, boring Viennese that you could ever imagine, I spend most of my weekends out there, somewhere in Lower Austria. This luxury, this privilege, I need to share with you...

Lunz am See,Scheibbs district, still a very secret, unknown place in the south.

This was only the beginning, but please...
...start to praise this beautiful part of CE!

·
"The Ignorant Fool"
2,576 Posts
Wow. Absolutely gorgeous scenery. Thanks for posting.

·
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gemeindealpe (a mountain) near Mariazell, a (rather) famous Catholic pilgrimage town near the Styrian border (Lilienfeld district):

Erlaufsee (lake)

Ötscher mountain, one of the few places where you can find bears in Austria, if you are lucky. Only 1.5 hrs away from Vienna!

A view of Mariazell and its small airfield:

Mariazell close-up and the Basilica. The pope will visit this place in September. Fortunately I'll be in Italy at that time, so I won't be hassled...

Gemeindealpe summit:

·
Banned
1,717 Posts
Stunning, verdant country-side, along with the amazing architecture makes Austria one of the most beautiful countries in the world!!!

·
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Semmering (Neunkirchen district), a very popular area for hiking and skiing:

View from Hirschenkogel mountain, the mountain in the background is called Rax:

Two views across the provincial into Styria:

Styria again, the S6 motorway is visible. A 3.5 km tunnel runs under the Semmering pass and links the Styrian and the Lower Austrian parts of the road:

The Lower Austrian side of the S6:

The Panhans, a famed luxury hotel that used to be the ultimate summer destination for Vienna's aristocrats:

Summer!!!

Dark skies ahead...

·
Mainland Sea & Sky
6,242 Posts
Awesome place !

·
Registered
532 Posts
Sehr schoene bilder- ich erinnere mich an das kristal klares wasser in oesterreich, die man eigentlich direkt vom see trinken kann..wahnsinn! naja, jetzt bin ich wieder in Toronto-wo das wasser nicht so klar oder sauber ist..austria ist was anders gell? aehnlich wie kanada, nur viel viel kleiner.

for all you english speakers..nice photos..austrias lakes, to the most part are so clean that you can drink directly from them, not to mention the water tastes amazing..even in the city of Vienna, the water is phenomenal..a super asset, especially now, when we are clorinating the shit of our water to keep it clean (haha).

p5

·
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Rax, a 2,007 m high mountain, Lower Austria's second highest, about an hour out of Vienna, Neunkirchen district. These pictures were all taken at around 1,500 - 1,700m:

Schneeberg, the provinces highest summit, as seen from Rax:

Climbers' paradise:

Spot the climbers? I don't but I know they're there...

Not the actual summit:

·
5,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some pictures from the Weinviertel, the mainly flat north eastern part of Lower Austria, bordering CZ and SK:

One of my favorite pictures. EVER! :cheers: (Yeah, I know, I shouldn't praise myself, but...)

Taken from Buschberg, one of the few hills of the area:

The vast flat to your feet makes the sky look immensly impressive:

Sorry for the quality, but it's hard to do any better if the object you like to show is 40 km away. Vienna, as seen from the north:

Vienna again and some smaller village:

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Amazing pics my friend. I love that green mountains, that calmness..
Those fields near Vienna are just great!!! :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts