SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
digitisebanking.com
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pictures show Jewish Cemetery in Warsaw (all taken on April, 26th).

First, main avenue, near the entrance

Many places are donated by people. Here is a place donated by famous Polish movie producer (sentenced and imprisoned due to corruption:D)

I'm the guy on the right

Zamenhoff - creator of Esperanto

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
WOW, what an incredible cemetery. Thanks for the photos.

Any idea on how large it is and if this is the only Jewish cemetery in Warsaw.

·
digitisebanking.com
1,918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are two Jewish cemeteries in Warsaw. The other one is located on the right bank of the river Vistula (Praga district). It is older (founded in 1780) but it doesn't "work" anymore after WW2.
The cemetery showed in my thread was founded in 1806 on the left bank of the river (district Wola) in Jewish district and is located near the most important Catholic cemetery in Warsaw - Powazki.
This Jewish cemetery has an area of 33.5 ha. Jewish cemetery in Lodz, Poland, is bigger by area, but the Warsaw one is the biggest Jewish cemetery in the whole Europe counted by the number of gravestones: 250,000 !!
After the holocaust and the 1968 Jewish exile, the number of Jews in Poland is very small, so nowadays there are only about 20-25 funerals annually.

·
Streetwalker
7,028 Posts
Thanks AGC! :)

I like strolling through cemeteries because of the history and also some of the cool monuments. Older historic cemeteries like the one above are the most interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts