SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Used Register
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dark clouds waited for me for me, when I arrived at Keflavik airport. The wind whippes rain like sand in my face. It's the end of December 2018 and finally JiJa made it to Reykjavík.
Oh, by the way. I am JiJa, I am origially from Hamburg, but for Job, Family, Visiting, Education and sometimes even for touristical reasons, I am not that often there but somewhere else in the world - as you can see here in a little summary, which will soon get a little extention with this icelandic adventure
https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1860710

And in December 2018 it was time to visit your beautiful country, since a part of my family currently lives and works in Reykjavík - so our family decidet to celebrate a multilingual christmas here. :)

Where did I stop? Oh yes! Airport. Darkness and hard rain

I was fetched by sister+friend in their new used car from the airport and got already a bit lost in an icelandic-english-german-and-even-polish-translation. The (lava?)landscape around the airport remainded me a bit to the Canary Island - just in wet.

My flat was a bit south of the city center located, but all was still in walking distance, so I did not have to use any busses. It is early evening and of course it got dark sooner then in Hamburg. It's quite a little problem if you want to do (and of course see :D ) something outside the city, so you have to plan your time a bit smarter as usual ...

... but at the day of the arrival we did not much more beside exploring the city center and have a first glance

And sure we tried some icecram on iceland.

I already noticed the hordes of chinese tourists in Reykjavik. Living in concrete monster cities the capital of iceland must look like a toy town for them. I don't know if it is this contrast or an icelandic advertising campaign in china, what makes this country currently so attractive for them. At least for the road- and traffic-safety tourists (not only from china, but all over the world) seem to be a problem. We had some nearby chrashes with All-Terrain-Cars for reantal - way too big for people who had never driven one - when they suddenly stopped right in front of us to take pictures of some horses, or just ignoring our right of way. But tourists in cars was the only part of this trip, what really bothered me. The rest was cool as you will see, when I will go on. So stay tuned :) :)

·
Used Register
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next morning we refilled our car. Nice option to pay directly at the petrol pump with your credit card

I guess the normal choise would be the "Golden Circle". But the time before the flight was quite stessful (get a flat, tickets, how to store the presents, etc) so we decided to avoid the tourist-masses and drove on the road number 42 southwards ...

into the Reykjanesfólkvangur Nature Reserve - Holy christ, dat icelandic names :D) not even the slightest clue how to pronounce this.

Lake Kleifarvatn. During Summertime the parking lot is full, as I was told. But that day our car is the only one around.

Midday at the lake. We had been extremly lucky with the sunny weather during all our stay.

·
Used Register
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are some hot springs as well in this reserve. And from that springs you can climb a litte mountain fpor an awesome 360 Degree view
>>>>>SCROLL>>>>

Next stop is Eyrarbakki. The black house next to the chruch is one of the oldest original houses in Island

The church must have been refurbished recently. When I chek it out at wikipedia it appers black there

Diner at a gas station in Selfoss

·
Used Register
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another Day. Another Ride. Of course we also did the Golden Circle and once again the weather was great. So we took the Highway number 36 to the east. Obvoiusly I fell in loe with the wide empty roads in rough and cold terrain.

At the Lögberg near this small Luthera Church tagte the first paliament of iceland met. Also the american and european tectotnic plate meet here

To the south is a bigger lake, the Pingvallavatn. You can estimate the time by the suns position. Right. It is High Noon

already a part of the american plate:

·
Used Register
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
we had.thx :)

Next day again outstandig weather. So a hike to the Esja, a mountain next to the capital was possible

Last year my sister tried this at the same day, but back then, she and her friend sunk to their knees in snow. This year it is just cold, but absolutely no wind. We thought it would be windy and so even more cold. But instead half way through we had to get rid of all our jackets and continued in T-Shirts

Right beyond the summit is a playe called "Steinn". I guess it is called so, because a bog rock (= Steinn) marks it. In Winter most people turn around here and skip the summit, because you need some special ice-equipment to do the last meters ... The View is already great from here

Of course we tried to go all the way up, but an Esja-Hike wasn't in our plans from the first place, because we did not expect such great weather conditions alls days. So I had only Chucks with me and with those shoes it was not possible to do the icy climb to the top. You need this stuff instead:

·
Used Register
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pizzatime. Da families met at a nice place two evenings before christmas. Of course if some people have never seen each other such evenings start kind off "reserved" - and a lot of the conversions got lost in translation between Icelandic, English, Polish and German ...

.. but thanks to God someone once invented the alcohol which helps a lot finding and laughing together :)

·
Used Register
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The last day before Christmas. The weather is shit an we did not explore the capital during daylight so far. So why not now? From the Churchtower I wanted to create a panorama, but the weather and light conditions are not really worth the efford.

Like my Hometown Hamburg you have a new concerts hall, too

... while I like the interior design in Island more. The Elbphilharmony looks a bit like school cantine from inside, while in this case you get the impression that someone was thinking about how to create differet and interesting looks

And finally, Rain Rain Rain :(

·
Used Register
10,148 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
while we are out to Hallgrímskirkja, the most cute and brave little Tiger of this island is watching our presents

Service is hold in two languages. The not native visitors also get an english textbook for the songs. A very good chorus and a pastor with humor let the hour pass fast

After that we had our christmas meal - Toast Hawaii (vegetarian) + Jola-Beer and at the end everybody was tired. In particular the secret star of the evening

1 - 16 of 16 Posts