SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Atanas Maina said that the line would be ready in the next two years and work will start soon.

I hope the line will be double track and we get an amazing station that would somewhat improve JKIA....

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I have a question, is the line going to connect to syokimau commuter railway station?if so what is the condition between syokimau station to nairobi railways statin in the cbd?i hope its light railway till to town?

·
Registered
568 Posts
Is it really happening this time? They have been talking of this project for like 5 years. Are there any contract details. All i know is that Infraco is involved. Where are the maps for the line. Will they bring in new rolling stock. Those are my first questions.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Syokimau is set to be a large exchange station where passengers from the standard gauge railway (SGR) line will alight and take another train on the commuter rail system for the final leg of the journey to the Nairobi’s city centre.
The plan for construction of the link involves having the rail pass under Mombasa Road.

Mr Maina said in the event funding for the rail is unavailable, a road linking the airport and Syokimau would be constructed.
The plan to have a train service between the JKIA and Nairobi city centre is considered important to cut down on the amount of time spent in traffic.
From earlier in the year.

I'm getting the gist that it's going to run on the metre gauge...

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
Based on the current Nairobi and Mombasa Termini, the rendering above for the JKIA Station is underwhelming. Why am I not intrigued by that small house-like station. We need a station the size and design similar to Mombasa's or Nairobi stations or better, no less.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That article is more confusing. If its passing under Mombasa road, then we are talking about a subway .
Not a subway just a tunnel under mombasa road. And seeing that Mombasa road is being upgraded this is probably the perfect time to do this.

Reactions: vfG

·
Registered
11,994 Posts
Do we really need to have a dedicated thread for this line since I thought it was already covered in the NCR thread?

·
Registered
359 Posts
When I got back from Mombasa on the SGR, I chose to take the MGR to town. It took 30 minutes with 2 stops at Imara and Makadara. It is possible to replace the entire section with a rail that has three rails..and run both MGR and SGR

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
When I got back from Mombasa on the SGR, I chose to take the MGR to town. It took 30 minutes with 2 stops at Imara and Makadara. It is possible to replace the entire section with a rail that has three rails..and run both MGR and SGR
Do they have some arrangement such that the MGR is always there to complete the journey or is it a hit and miss arrangement

·
Registered
28 Posts
that definetly is possible, however, due to the small radiuses on the MGR, which are too small for many SGR train set specifications, it might be wiser to instead purchase more modern MGR equipment to spped up and generally improve the service. Im thinking especially of Light rail/trams with high capacity, (like these). That would require electrification, but should be able to work with much less upfront investment than a whole new rail added plus corridor adjustments to make that fit. Plus, due to the fact that there are tram systems around the world running MGR with no intention to switch to SGR, expertise and spare parts are available much more readily than with the current equipment.
However, I do see the appeal of a wholly new system, being able to adjust fully to the current traffic patterns.

·
Registered
6,289 Posts
If they are not building a train service and station like we have at the Mombasa Terminus, wait tu. They should also link Kisumu Airport to the railway service, with a station across the road from the Airport and a bridge for crossing over to the airport/railway station.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Mombasa Nairobi Eldoret and Kisumu airports should have a rail link to the town centre. Even Isiolo and the proposed airport in Lamu. All the airports mentioned are international airports or will be in the future. It makes sense to make them attractive to international visitors and investors.

·
Registered
16,090 Posts
Mombasa Nairobi Eldoret and Kisumu airports should have a rail link to the town centre. Even Isiolo and the proposed airport in Lamu. All the airports mentioned are international airports or will be in the future. It makes sense to make them attractive to international visitors and investors.
Indeed! That would be convenient to regular travelers as well.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I went further back to 2012 and got more details of what was planned back then. And see if it will be compared to recent news.

According to a plan from the Ministry of Transport on the development of Nairobi Commuter Rail Services, obtained by nation.co.ke, when completed the Nairobi-JKIA rail will measure 21 km.

A rail over road crossing for Mombasa road is to be built for the Syokimau-JKIA for the benefit of pedestrians using the busy road.

The Ministry of Transport said an elevated crossing was considered after the idea of the underground pass was abandoned due to its high cost -- it was estimated to cost Sh3.2 billion.

The elevated cross over is expected to cost Sh1.6 billion.

A rail station is to be located inside JKIA. The airport line design is in progress with trains terminating at Unit 3 for easy access by arriving passengers, ease connection to the departure unit and possibility of developing commercial centre around the station.

he plan to develop the city, JKIA link was mooted in 2011 but was later shelved after the government failed to allocate funds.
“When we did a tender in 2013, the winning bid was about Sh25 billion,” said Mr Maina.
The initial design envisaged Syokimau as a large exchange station where passengers would take another train to Nairobi’s city centre or the airport.
The plan is considered important to cut on the amount of time spent in traffic.
The original 2012 plan had indicated that the JKIA train would run to the CBD, covering the 22km journey in 25 minutes.
This would save on time on the journey that can last up to two hours during rush hour.
So i summarized the 2012 plans...

- Rail overpass to Syokimau cost Sh1.6 B
or
- Tunnel to Syokimau cost Sh 3.2 B

- Speed of trains 100km/hr

- Train intervals 30mins

- JKIA to Syokimau distance 7km cost unknown

- Syokimau to CBD cost Sh25 B

So the 400 million shilling taxpayer funded Syokimau commuter station that was built is now going to be redundant. :bash::bash::bash:

And will be ultimately be torn down so it can be expanded to serve as a large exchange station between commuter trains, JKIA trains and SGR trains. Also we don't know if the rails will be SGR or Metre Gauge, or if the trains will be EMU's or better the refined DMU's or they'll use those ancient GE trains and rocky coaches, and finally what are the plans for the Nairobi Station??

I am curious as to see how quickly the chinese will do the studies.....

Source

Source

·
Registered
56 Posts
I went further back to 2012 and got more details of what was planned back then. And see if it will be compared to recent news.

So i summarized the 2012 plans...

- Rail overpass to Syokimau cost Sh1.6 B
or
- Tunnel to Syokimau cost Sh 3.2 B

- Speed of trains 100km/hr

- Train intervals 30mins

- JKIA to Syokimau distance 7km cost unknown

- Syokimau to CBD cost Sh25 B

So the 400 million shilling taxpayer funded Syokimau commuter station that was built is now going to be redundant. :bash::bash::bash:

And will be ultimately be torn down so it can be expanded to serve as a large exchange station between commuter trains, JKIA trains and SGR trains. Also we don't know if the rails will be SGR or Metre Gauge, or if the trains will be EMU's or better the refined DMU's or they'll use those ancient GE trains and rocky coaches, and finally what are the plans for the Nairobi Station??

I am curious as to see how quickly the chinese will do the studies.....

Source

Source
There was a plan to have the CBD-JKIA line originate from the present day Railway Golf Club but I understand the members of the Golf Club resisted and the matter is pending in court - they claim to own the club and developed the course and KRC claims to own the land and should be able to do as it wishes with its land!

1 - 20 of 125 Posts