SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 2765 Posts

·
There's cake, right?
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JHB deserved its own photo gallery tbh.This is Sandton.

·
There's cake, right?
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the encouragement.
Maybe a mod can help me out with the formatting of the thread title?I can't do that "City Gallery" thing.

Then again,Cape Town's thread has been alright and yet it has a borderline annoying and OTT thread title!

·
There's cake, right?
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the encouragement.
Maybe a mod can help me out with the formatting of the thread title?I can't do that "City Gallery" thing.

Then again,Cape Town's thread has been alright and yet it has a borderline annoying and OTT thread title!

·
Registered
681 Posts
The E.N.D said:
JHB deserved its own photo gallery tbh.This is Sandton.
Absolutely fantastic photos. Sandton can compare with any district in the first world. I just wished the rest of the continent can wake up from their slumber.
Fat chance...

·
There's cake, right?
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What are the effects of office parks and places like Sandton on the Joburg CBD.
I've known you short enough to assume you're a smartie and already know the answer to your question.

The CBD is gradually mutating into this dodgy bastion for street hawkers and the homeless.The level of neglect from city officials is alarming as they've simply rested on their laurels as the inner city degenerated.It feels like they left the grimy neighbourhoods like Hillbrow to spread their tentacles into the other parts of the CBD.

Of course there are some districts of the city like Braamfontein (where Wits is situated) that are trying to their best to ward off blight but methinks its a battle they've lost already.There's always those never say dies that believe that the CBD can be saved and its seen a lot boutique hotels,upmarket apartments flourish but I'm not convinced.

Most of the big businesses that were in the inner city post 2000 are still there.Think Nedbank is the only bank to emigrate to Sandton."Bank city" and much of the CBD's financial district remain intact.

I'm sorry that I don't give a positive picture but that's how I see it.I'm willing to bet that there are other Joburgers that are going to dismiss my rhetoric as rubbish.

This is my last year at Wits which therefore will bring to an end the necessity of going to the city. I wish I could say I am going to miss it.

·
Surprisingly optimistic!
12,484 Posts
It's really amazing the way the centre of action, so to speak, moved to Sandton, and how quickly it did. Hillbrow used to be upscale, no? Wow.

How far is Sandton from Downtown?

·
Registered
922 Posts
I've known you short enough to assume you're a smartie and already know the answer to your question.

The CBD is gradually mutating into this dodgy bastion for street hawkers and the homeless.The level of neglect from city officials is alarming as they've simply rested on their laurels as the inner city degenerated.It feels like they left the grimy neighbourhoods like Hillbrow to spread their tentacles into the other parts of the CBD.

Of course there are some districts of the city like Braamfontein (where Wits is situated) that are trying to their best to ward off blight but methinks its a battle they've lost already.There's always those never say dies that believe that the CBD can be saved and its seen a lot boutique hotels,upmarket apartments flourish but I'm not convinced.

Most of the big businesses that were in the inner city post 2000 are still there.Think Nedbank is the only bank to emigrate to Sandton."Bank city" and much of the CBD's financial district remain intact.

I'm sorry that I don't give a positive picture but that's how I see it.I'm willing to bet that there are other Joburgers that are going to dismiss my rhetoric as rubbish.

This is my last year at Wits which therefore will bring to an end the necessity of going to the city. I wish I could say I am going to miss it.
I have to disagree with much of this.....

·
There's cake, right?
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It's really amazing the way the centre of action, so to speak, moved to Sandton, and how quickly it did. Hillbrow used to be upscale, no? Wow.

How far is Sandton from Downtown?
I actually don't know the kilometre count.
Takes a good 20min or so to commute between the two.

Will definitely take less than 10min when the CBD's Gautrain line opens.

I have to disagree with much of this.....
Free country for the most part.
Care to elaborate your argument then?

·
Solid As A Rock
6,166 Posts
I like the older inner suburbs like Melville, Braamfotein, Newton, Parktown, Killarney, Greenside, Emmarentia, Obervatory and Burma. Even with a few improvements i would also chose Hillborw, Yeoville, Brea, Fordesburg and Doormfotein over Sandton. Johannesburg South seems like the place to retire, lots of rolling hills.

·
Registered
19,044 Posts
I agree! Sandton is really nice but its too flashy. Joburg has a variety of different neighborhoods for a variety of different tastes. If I were to move to Joburg I would live in Emmarentia, its leafy, peaceful, and has a large, pretty park for jogging. :)

·
There's cake, right?
3,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Of course the city has multiple neighbourhoods that are perfectly alright to work and live.My Sandton vs inner city argument was more from a commercial centre perspective,which environment is more conducive towards business.

I don't live in Sandton and quite frankly don't intend to since there's better alternatives IMO such as Rosebank,Auckland Park,Cresta and Melville.

·
Solid As A Rock
6,166 Posts
I agree! Sandton is really nice but its too flashy. Joburg has a variety of different neighborhoods for a variety of different tastes. If I were to move to Joburg I would live in Emmarentia, its leafy, peaceful, and has a large, pretty park for jogging. :)
Yep I think there are much better areas in Joburg than Sandton where it all looks the same. Emmarentia looks like it has a high Asian population from goolgle street lol. The Randburg suburbs like Parkhurst and Northcliff/quellerina are amazing. And Roodeport's suburbs are really nice from Florida hills up to Helderkruin and to Wiro Park. The nice suburbs keep going into Krugerdorp but i think it would be too far of a drive lol. Midrand is just sprawl of estates, they might be rich but they probably have no souls.

But if I lived in joburg it would be the areas just north of the CBD off of the M1 highway near the joburg zoo and zoo lake area: Parkwood, Greenside, Rosebank, Melrose etc.

·
Banned
11,509 Posts
Sandton is the beverly hills of south africa

·
Registered
19,044 Posts
Yep I think there are much better areas in Joburg than Sandton where it all looks the same. Emmarentia looks like it has a high Asian population from goolgle street lol. The Randburg suburbs like Parkhurst and Northcliff/quellerina are amazing. And Roodeport's suburbs are really nice from Florida hills up to Helderkruin and to Wiro Park. The nice suburbs keep going into Krugerdorp but i think it would be too far of a drive lol. Midrand is just sprawl of estates, they might be rich but they probably have no souls.

But if I lived in joburg it would be the areas just north of the CBD off of the M1 highway near the joburg zoo and zoo lake area: Parkwood, Greenside, Rosebank, Melrose etc.
I also look at Joburg and Gauteng though Street View lol, and Midrand and Lone Hill look like suburban Texas. A lot of big houses densely packed together.

1 - 20 of 2765 Posts