SkyscraperCity banner

2461 - 2480 of 2768 Posts

·
There's cake, right?
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,474
The only purpose of this image and post is so that a new page can FINALLY open.

·
There's cake, right?
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,477
^^I give up, dude.
I feel like this page 124 is mocking me. The friends whose wedding I went in December (first pics on this page), are now 8 months pregnant.

·
There's cake, right?
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,479
How noticeable is poverty in a South African city like Johannesburg? I get the impression that the main cities cities are completely removed from it. The country is obviously very well-run on a local level.
^^No- mine are just carefully selected images to show the city in a positive light. I would say that poverty is especially rampant in the big cities compared to the small towns and villages. In Johannesburg for example, there are beggars at a lot of traffic lights.

Due to apartheid and now inequality, the city is segregated on class lines and the middle class upwards generally live in suburbs away from the old CBD or townships where the poverty is most prevalent. As insulated as these groups are from the reality faced by most Joburgers, it is impossible to ignore the poverty on your commute to school or the office.

·
22,632 Posts
^^No- mine are just carefully selected images to show the city in a positive light. I would say that poverty is especially rampant in the big cities compared to the small towns and villages. In Johannesburg for example, there are beggars at a lot of traffic lights.

Due to apartheid and now inequality, the city is segregated on class lines and the middle class upwards generally live in suburbs away from the old CBD or townships where the poverty is most prevalent. As insulated as these groups are from the reality faced by most Joburgers, it is impossible to ignore the poverty on your commute to school or the office.
Public services in South African cities seem world class though. The street infrastructure is the best on the continent as far as I can tell.

I know Cape Town is better off than most South African cities. Do slums in South Africa tend to be part of the city or separate?

2461 - 2480 of 2768 Posts