SkyscraperCity banner

2481 - 2500 of 2766 Posts

·
There's cake, right?
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,481
^^The JHB CBD has long struggled with derelict buildings which have been taken over by slumlords but generally most slums are in outlying townships that have no infrastructure and have poor public services.

I've been criticised here before for being too negative about JHB so any other Joburgers can also give their take on your questions.

·
Bloody Agent
3,468 Posts
Public services in South African cities seem world class though. The street infrastructure is the best on the continent as far as I can tell.

I know Cape Town is better off than most South African cities. Do slums in South Africa tend to be part of the city or separate?
The E.N.D has a very keen eye in his photography. His photos show JHB in a fantastic light. The reality isn't like that a lot of the time.

Slums and cities merge in JHB, depending where you are. The CBD can go from being a small island of gentrification (where you'll see some of The E.N.D's great photos) to absolute squalor just across the street. It can be quite stark and unsettling.

·
.mz.cv.in
Kriolu Morno
3,146 Posts
That's Braamfointein. :cheers: Last time I was there I visited the neighborgoods market which is not that far from that place and the vibe was awesome! Great jazz, food, beer and a multicultural crowd.

Reactions: Nostra

·
Registered
4,629 Posts
Glad you enjoyed it mate. Next time also try the Maboneng district in town.

·
.mz.cv.in
Kriolu Morno
3,146 Posts
Great captures, blantyre- what other JHB sites did you see?
I had already been to JHB before, so didn't feel like visiting many places. I stayed with a couple of Euro friends in Randburg (Cresta). We drove to Sandton (NM square and the mall), got to go to Soweto, Braamfontein, the CBD. I also visited a cousin in Paulshof.

·
There's cake, right?
3,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,490
^^Sheesh, dude- that's basically all that's worth seeing in this small town of ours.
Good on ya.

Summer is as good as here and I'm amped for more sunlight and sweating.

Yesterday:

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Joburg Archicture & Stauctures
By: Raphael de Kadt | flickr

Looking Across to Melville
This is a view, from near the top of the Emmarentia Ridge, of the culturally interesting suburb of Melville,
with its large number of often funky shops, restaurants and, to be cliched' somewhat 'alternative' population with their varied and sometimes heterodox lifestyles:

Towards the Nelson Mandela Bridge:

A striking green corporate office block in Sandton:

Curves and Lines...
A view of looking towards the ceiling of a coffee shop, with the photographer high on caffeine!:

University of Johannesburg's impressive Auckland Park Campus:

·
Registered
13,266 Posts

International Arrivals Hall
A view of the impressive International Arrivals' Hall at O R Tambo Airport.
O R Tambo was a leader of the ANC in exile, and was once a law partner of Nelson Mandela:

A view from one of my many favourite coffee shop POV's!:

Thrupps' Mall
A beautiful Mall in an upmarket Johannesburg northern suburb:

Looking towards the ceiling from a well-located coffee shop!:

The Glitz and the Glamour!

An earlier capture of a passageway in the high end Hyde Park Mall:

·
Registered
13,266 Posts

Africa Rocks! Museum Africa in the Early Morning Light
This Museum, in the Newtown precinct of Johannesburg, was established in 1933:

This bright pink glass facade caught my eye in the early morning light! Made for a cheerful start to an April day!:

Attending to The Calls of Nature!:

Gift for Mandela at the Apartheid Museum!
Upon Nelson Mandela's release from 27 years as a political prisoner,
the workers and management of Mercedes Benz in South Africa cooperated to hand-build a special red Mercedes Benz car for him:

Now for Some Street Art!:

·
Registered
13,266 Posts

University of Johannesburg Theatre!
The University of Johannesburg is a vast, four campus 'multiversity' that has become a highly successful centre of tertiary education:

A delightful, colourful, residential postbox caught my eye in a wealthy Johannesburg suburb's street:

A Fish's View Through My Window! (Fun Stuff!):

My Window Has Amazing Things!:

A beautiful upmarket apartment block edifice, that of Devon Place in the wealthy suburb of Riviera:

·
Registered
13,266 Posts

The Ubiquitous Nexus Of Bikes and Tattoos!
Captured in Grant Avenue, Norwood, Johannesburg - the predictable bike outside a Tattoo and Piercing Parlour. Irresistible shot!:

An interior shopping mall view from an 'Oriental Fusion' restaurant in Johannesburg.
I'd like to thank the management of the Hyde Park Centre and the management of the restaurant for permitting me to craft this image:

The Auditorium Awaits the Graduands Arrival @ St Augustine College of South Africa!:

An interior capture of one of the vast, cavernous, multi-story passageways
leading from a car-park to the terminal buildings at the OR Tambo International Airport:

St Augustine College Verdant Campus and Chapel:

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Johannesburg photo essay
By: Steve Allison | flickr

A walk through the CBD
I like the lazy pavements of Little India, the hustle and optimism around Braamfontein, the Ghanaian bars of Yeoville, the
slick transformation of old buildings around Arts on Main, and the outdoor cafes sprouting around Newtown and the financial district:

We're a pedestrian city," Sharon Lewis, from the Johannesburg Development Agency, told me.
The JDA is now working to rewire the city's outdated infrastructure in order to better serve all those pedestrians:

I like the Johannesburg city centre. There - I've said it:

One of those myths is the belief that no-one walks in Johannesburg:

South Africa's biggest city may well deserve its rough reputation. But it's changing, and trying to shake off some myths

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Johannesburg photo essay

A walk through the CBD
I like the lazy pavements of Little India, the hustle and optimism around Braamfontein, the Ghanaian bars of Yeoville, the
slick transformation of old buildings around Arts on Main, and the outdoor cafes sprouting around Newtown and the financial district:

We're a pedestrian city," Sharon Lewis, from the Johannesburg Development Agency, told me.
The JDA is now working to rewire the city's outdated infrastructure in order to better serve all those pedestrians:

South Africa's biggest city may well deserve its rough reputation. But it's changing, and trying to shake off some myths

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Johannesburg photo essay

A walk through the CBD

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Johannesburg photo essay

A walk through the CBD

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Johannesburg photo essay

A walk through the CBD

2481 - 2500 of 2766 Posts