SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Banned
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the JHB cbd is not very attractive (lack of waterfront/ city park) with few big open spaces, let's find landscaping inspirations from other cities.

Nanjing, by oliver999

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
In this regard I agree with you 1million 100% Harkeb, we one big city with no ri ver passing through it and we also far away from the cost. We really need something of this sort. There are some building which could be demolished to create this kind of water features even if its not as big as the ones you have just posted. But I trust Masondo and his team and I'm sure they looking for something of this nature and that's if this mining city will be able to handle such a project.

You can emial Neil Fraser, [email protected] , and ask him if there's plans for something of this sort and he will tell you if he's got any knowledge. If I'm not mistaken about 10% of the costs of any new development or refurbishment will be dedicated to art and beutification of the city. Therefore we still gonna see a lot of beutification comeing Johannesburg's way. I just wish they could take care of Joubert Park with its water features and JAG. The BRT Station will be next to this park and how nice it will be if it gets its life back?

·
the luf
791 Posts
This is a good idea but what are the chances of it actually happening? I dont even know if its worth it. We do have Joubert Park which is beautiful.

Guys i have been trying to find info on that HUGE tv screen that was on top of Marble Towers - the Coke one. Any one know why it was taken down:( it looked so cool!

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
I will be lying if I say that I know. Olitzki was telling me a few months back that he was approched by about 4 companies who wants to advertising on his buildings in Ghandi Sqaure, I hope they come to the party as they will make it a vibey area during the night and that's if Metro bus extends its operating times and BRT is in place.

·
Banned
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ive checked the link Pule. It sounds very promising. If they could just put the ideas on a map or in sketches, one could see what they mean. I cant really visualize what they are talking about, because I dont know the city.

·
Banned
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Chicago Grand Park
*image by glasinc.com

Notice how the railway lines, in the top right hand corner in the first picture ^^,
have been covered up with a new concert park seen below, vvv

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
I noticed on Sunday they are busy doing some really nice quality landscaping down William Nicol towards Bryanstone and Fourways.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You guys always come with good suggestions, like one in this thread. But to what extent are these ideas/suggestions considered?

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Bashu, we trying to establish a forum with the help of Neil Fraser that will advice and give suggestions to Joburg municipality and interested companies. I'm gonna shedule a meeting with Neil for sometim next month so that those interested can join us. The little we do will make a difference.

·
the luf
791 Posts
Bashu, we trying to establish a forum with the help of Neil Fraser that will advice and give suggestions to Joburg municipality and interested companies. I'm gonna shedule a meeting with Neil for sometim next month so that those interested can join us. The little we do will make a difference.
Cant wait Pule! But mate, this might sound like a dumb question but how seriously does the council take Neil? Has he got alot of power to change alot in the CBD?

·
Banned
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Guys, Ive mailed Graeme Gotz, who works closely with Neil Fraser.
I was thrilled to have received the following response. We are indeed heard :)

==========================================================

I actually already follow the Johannesburg thread on Skyscraper City. Though I don't contribute posts I do go in every few days to see what's under discussion. The City confronts a lot of negativity and the Skyscraper threads are always refreshingly positive and upbeat.

You might be surprised how useful the Skyscraper City forums are as a source of information. I work fairly closely on Inner City issues, and have a reasonably good sense of what's going and in the pipeline, but I'm always seeing new developments I had no idea about being referred to in the forum discussions.

Thanks very much for the images put up today. They are inspiring. It may be worth noting that the City is already exploring major public space interventions of this nature.

There are three things we are doing at the moment that are worth noting:
1. As part of the public environment/street upgrades in Hillbrow-Berea (a R171 million project) we are upgrading all the parks in the area;

2. The upgrade work continues next year with a further R200 million allocated (a total commitment of R2 billion has been made towards urban redevelopment in the Inner City over the next 4 years). Part of this allocation will be used to start development on a major, virtually-continuous green spine running from Windybrow/Pullinger Kop east past Ponte and across the Observatory Ridge. We have initial design concepts, but its too early to make these public as we are still testing feasibility and looking at some land availability questions. This development will almost certainly happen.

3. Our City Parks municipal entity is commissioning further work to look at other options for park development in the Inner City. The investigation work is being tendered at the moment and should start in July. Possibilities for new metropolitan scale public space, involving aquisition and demolition, will be considered as part of this.

There are other possibilities being considered, such as the decking of the railway lines that cut across the centre of the Inner City, but its too early to speak about this as a 'real project'.

I'd be very willing to keep sharing information, and will certainly track your new discussion thread with interest.

==========================================================
A big fat Cheers to these guys! :cheers1:

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks Harkeb, its so encouraging and inspiring to realise that influencial people do check these forum.Hillbrow-Berea upgrate would definitely lighten up the area brov. Is there anything done yet Harkeb to deal with ruthless buildings hijackers in these areas?

·
BITTER HEART NEVER REST
11,390 Posts
Thanks Harkeb and Bashu yes something is being done about those slamlords and the results are refurbished building. Yesterday I took a walk to Joubert Park and around Park Station but unfortunately didn't have a camera with me. I also drove though Hillbrow so another building bing refurbed in Pretoria street and if my memory serves me its the 4th building being revamped during the landscape upgrade.

Back to my walk, it was just after 07:30 in the morning as I had justed dropped my vrou at work. I parked my car just on the opposite side of Joubert Park wher by 3 buildings are being repainted with a bright color. I then worked across the street into the park and the huge water feature there with water sprinkling about 2+ meters up was so clean and beutiful, even the park itself and one guy a photographer was sitting on one of the benches minding his own business while other people were on the rush, I guess to work, passing via the park's walkways. A group of 2 were watching four gents playing chess in the park and the grass around and landscape is so beutiful. I'm not into chess but I spent a couple of minutes watching and it was fascinating seeing guys carring the kings and queens walking to the other sides while they play and I realised that all those "things" they use to play chess were not being stolen and it seems like they spend the night there were anyone can actually be stupid and steal them. I guess you have to be mascular to be able to carry and steal them as I don't think that one can walk a distance with them.

I then went out of the park and decided to park station and its surroundings and as ussual Park Station was busy with people boarding and some arriving in luxury busses. There's a Formule 1 hotel which has been taken care of and when I walked past it I saw, from the top, some nice landscape within the park station precinct and I was amazed and on the other side I was angry and I guess I'm still am as I realised that with a clean up project that might even last less that 3 moths that place can be one of the best in Jozi. Hawkers and taxi people are messing the place around and its so sad that they are being allowed to do so. There's mountains of ashes lying around and dirt everywhere. All that i need is a cleanup operation and the precense of security guys but again who will do that as Metro Police instead of making sure that people are abiding by the by-laws, they hide in bushes to speed trap us and ask for bribes. I hate Johanneburg Metro Police Department.

I will try to go there and take pics today if I have time, but be warned that's the side of Jozi you will never want to fin yourself in as you will feel like kicking some stupid bustard's ass who is responsible of making that place a beutiful and safe area.

·
the luf
791 Posts
^^ I agree metro police are a complete joke.

On Saterday, my Girlfriend and i took a long drive into the CBD, just looking around at whats happening etc. We drove around for about an hour and a half. CBD for the most of it is looking great, things are changing but whats not is the litter. Bins where overflowing, paper and plastic littered the streets and venders, taxi drivers and people going about their bussiness where all throwing sh**t on the floor - it was a shock and eye opener. I couldnt help get the feeling that i dont blame people for not wanting to go back to the CBD and for moving from the CBD. At the same time i couldnt help feeling that i dont blame people for their views on the CBD, our council, metro police and mayor.
However, certain areas where looking awsome and i with i had the cash to buy some of the many great buildings under refurb.

One MAJOR aspect that was missing from the CBD (from 3pm to around 430-5pm) was police and policing. In all the time we where there, we saw not ONE policeman walking the streets, driving there car etc - Nothing! be it SAPS or JMPD. Laws where being broken and nothing being done. I just can not for the life of me understand why and how the council believe they can uplift the area with out the use of constant law enforcement.

Any ways if you guys have time and not read the "broken Windows theory" which the city really should adopt check it out http://www.manhattan-institute.org/pdf/_atlantic_monthly-broken_windows.pdf

Have a great week guys.

·
Banned
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^, sorry but could you please have this discussion in the Joburg Discussion thread? Keep this thread focused on landscaping, please

·
2cloudsabove9
370 Posts
^, sorry but could you please have this discussion in the Joburg Discussion thread? Keep this thread focused on landscaping, please
Harkeb I actually see Luf's relevance on landscaping.What's the use of have pretty landscaping when the "power to the people" mob throw crap all over the place? You can't just plant some grass and trees and say "deh, have fun" you need organizations who maintain the place for everyone.Otherwise this place will always be divided between those that sleep on the grass and those that would like to walk there dogs in pristine environments.You can call me whatever you want to but you guys out there know what I'm talking about....

·
2cloudsabove9
370 Posts
.... sorry, but yes, I thought this was a very good suggestion of yours.I've always thought that Jo'burg would benefit from a central park idea surrounded by really nice residential and business towers

1 - 20 of 70 Posts