SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· @UzEE
1,075 Posts
Visited emporium mall yesterday and wasnt impressed with it. Floors were quite dirty and dust was visible everywhere. Used the lifts and everytime i pressed the lift button i got a electric shock.

Packages mall might be small but its Maintenance is well done
I visit Emporium regularly and I've never seen any cleanliness issues nor have I been shocked by the elevators (which I use every time to take the shopping carts down to the parking).

Problem with Packages is that it isn't getting enough shoppers, at least to the level of sales what the stores were expecting. There have been several disputes with management internally about that and the mall management went so far as to waive off a full quarter's rent to ease the brands.

· @UzEE
1,075 Posts
Maybe you know of some specific details but I find that very hard to believe. Even if a quarter’s rent was waived off, it must have been for some other reason than poor footfall. They are running a business and before handing out such massive discounts, they would rather advertise the mall more.

A decent ad campaign would cost no more than 60mn to air plus 15mn for production(with a decent celebrity). If they waived off rent for some brands and you know about that, then the other brands do too and they wouldn’nt be too happy about it. So if everyone gets that amount off that means a lot of lost revenue, at .4mn average rent, that means 240mn in lost revenue for the quarter (I used .4 as a low estimate, I know for a fact that those small ice cream and candy stalls in emporium pay .2mn in rent and some of the largest brands pay as much as 2.5mn, no idea about packages rates).

So if you are failing to provide the footfall you promised in the contract, would you rather part ways with 75mn and actually do something about the problem or would you let go of 240mn and do absolutely nothing about the problem. Let’s not forget its run by the same people that run tetrapak, nestle, Coca Cola, rose petal and LUMS.

And I think the mall is doing ok, it’s absolutely packed on weekends and the shops look very busy. If traffic was such an issue, packages would’ve been all over the ad space.
Problem was that they fell behind on their original plans. The cinema was supposed to open along with the mall which was going to be a major contributor for traffic. It got delayed massively however, hence the problems.

From what I know, apart from Hyperstar, almost no brands were doing good business wise. I'm sure that's also down to the location as well. Apart from DHA, the mall is basically flanked by low income areas. Most of these people would love to the mall to hang out, but very few actually buy anything. Conversely, a lot of people in DHA would rather shop or hang out at Y-Block or even Phase V.

Emporium on the other hand has basically no competition in that area. People in Johar Town, Wapda Town etc. didn't really have a lot of good places to shop or hang out at nearby. Emporium is pretty much exclusively serving that market.

· @UzEE
1,075 Posts
From the article:

“In fact, the FTC was the only area in Lahore that was originally planned to boost commercial activities by allowing construction of high-rises to unlimited height subject to getting NOC from the Civil Aviation Authority and other departments concerned (if any). For this, the LDA was required to make some amendments to the building regulations. But, unfortunately, it was not done and it led to allowing others (like the Central Business District Authority) to make business-friendly regulations and allowing construction of skyscrapers having unlimited height in Gulberg,” an official source explained while talking to Dawn on Sunday.
Since when does CBD have unlimited height? As far as I'm aware, the height is restricted by FAR.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts