SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Where is my Genie lamp?
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was watching TVP off the web and they mentioned something about a proposal to build a giant John Paull II monument as big as the Jesus on in Rio on top of the mountain. I can't recall if they said Warsaw or Krakow, but I know its one of those cities. Do the Polish fourmers have any more info on this, im curious since this would be a great large scale project - my favourate kind. :cheers:

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think you are talking about the proposal to build a mound for John Paul in Krakow. Similar mounts exist and are dedicated to Great poles such as Pilsudski and Kosciuszko. The largest one is 36 meters, the one for John Paul is supposed to be 40 meters. Will it be build...i dont know, it's just a proposal as of now.

Unless of course you are talking about something compleatly different cause I havent heard anything about a statue.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Found some pictures of the existing ones

Kosciuszko

Pilsudski

Also Krakus and Wanda Mounds which are prolly the oldest man made structures in Poland, made in VII century or earlier

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
You are talking about two different ideas - first comes from Warsaw - Ive heard sthg about giant statue outside center of the city, second one comes from Cracow. Both are IMO rather not well-thought and only wastage of public! money...

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
The giant statue is a little creepy...Poland isn't Brazil.

But these mounds? That's your history, your traditions - and they look AMAZING! I'm putting it in my will, I want one too. :D

·
Where is my Genie lamp?
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mila said:
The giant statue is a little creepy...Poland isn't Brazil.

But these mounds? That's your history, your traditions - and they look AMAZING! I'm putting it in my will, I want one too. :D

if they go with the big statue I hope they don't copy Rio's Jesus, or make it simular to it.

Its a wait and see kinda deal, I on the fense on this one, I have to see the proposals to decided if im for or against.

·
Monkey business
3,539 Posts
A giant statue? No. I think he said he doesn't want anything big to remain from him.

A mound however would be nice. However dedicating a street or two to his name wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I don't know if we have one in Sarajevo named for him yet? Surely there will be. We've given SO many names for people who came here during the war - and Jean Paul was one of the ones who actually made a difference.

·
Registered
255 Posts
edolen1 said:
A giant statue? No. I think he said he doesn't want anything big to remain from him.

A mound however would be nice. However dedicating a street or two to his name wouldn't hurt either.
the street dedicated to John Paul II is almost in every single polish town/city :D

·
Monkey business
3,539 Posts
kamil said:
the street dedicated to John Paul II is almost in every single polish town/city :D
Yeah, silly me.. Should've seen that coming.. ;)

Heh, there's a Ulica Janeza Pavla II. (John Paul II St) in Ljubljana, more specifically under the castle, I've been there. It was renamed a couple of years ago, but they're renaming it back to its old name, Zrinjskega ulica soon, and naming a new street after him near Žale (a monumental cemetery in Northern Ljubljana). It'll be called Ulica papeževega miru (Pope's Peace St, sorta). It's to represent all the good John Paul II has done to the world.

I personally find it a bit weird, as it doesn't really say which pope..

·
Tribunus Plebis
491 Posts
edolen1 said:
Of course. HE just wanted us to remember about things he thought us and to think about them in everyday life. So all these ideas about building giantic statues imo are fucked up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts