SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over Easter Weekend, I decided to get out of the house and visit a completely different city, Dallas. It's only 30 miles to the east, but it is something that I don't do enough.

Ferris Plaza, a recently restored park across from Union Station, shown behind the fountain.

Jackson Street Lofts

The Adolphus Hotel taken with a zoom lens from several blocks down the street.

Art Deco #1 - Dallas Power and Light being converted into apartments

Art Deco #2 - Tower Petroleum Building with plans to convert this building to residential.

Recently restored Hart Furniture Building

The Majestic Theater - 1913

The Majestic Theater Sign

The spire of the Republic Center I appearing in a space between two buildings.

The canyon of Elm Street

Main Street looking toward the Mercantile National Bank Building

Further west on Main Street looking east

Disappearing view of Grid shifts and angles. A mid-rise residential building is now going up on this site. I think the construction fences went up the day after I took this picture and now they are scraping up the surface parking lot.

Stone Street Gardens with this restored building

1001 Ross, a new residential project in the West End.

Red, white, and pink Azaleas blooming in Founder's Square

The red azaleas

Finally, I will leave you with a couple of skyline shots that were taken in December.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Cool, this is definately one of the best Dallas thread that I've seen in a long time. I've never been to the city, but I'll get my chance in August. I'm looking forward to taking a couple of shots myself.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Beautiful, great pictures, peopel rarely get the water. Made me a little homesick...ok maybe not, I know there is way more to that big bitch than shine...but I liked your pics :)

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Very nice photos! Some great shots of some of the older buildings in Downtown Dallas. That one macro shot of the Azaleas is really beautiful!! I love great macro shots.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks again for the comments. I'm sure that I will "do" Dallas again before long. It seems that on the weekends I'm so busy that I only have a couple of hours free to go take pictures. With such a short time frame, it is difficult for me to drive the 35 miles from my house to Downtown Dallas and get back within that time. The trip in December was one of those occasions when I just decided to do it anyway. In the two hour time frame, all I could do was go take the skyline from two locations and then my time was up. On the Monday after Easter I was gone a total of five hours, and that included eating lunch, and running a couple of errands before I came home. The amount of time that I was walking and taking pictures was about three hours.

I also will be posting more Fort Worth threads in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
John R said:
The Adolphus is one of my favorite buildings. When it was constructed in 1912, it was the tallest building in Dallas.
I lived in her office component for a year...the tunnel underneath was something I always wanted to know more about....

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
lovecharlie said:
The Aldolphus Hotel! Wow Dallas does have a history, im in shock, and such a pretty building, dont make them like that anymore.
Umm, yes Dallas and every other Texas has history. I realize being from the U.K. you may not know much about Texas, but after reading a some of your other posts, I think you assume too much about Texas cities. Yes, they have all grown enormously since WWII, but they existed for over a century before then, and San Antonio for centuries. Now, I know in European standards, that is a blink of an eye, but it would seem strange to not think there would be nice buildings from the late 19th, to early 20th centuries in TX cities. There is a thread about cities in 1916 on this forum, take a look at that, and see that our cities were still bustling cities even then.

·
Registered
943 Posts
lauderdalegator said:
did you really find it nessesary to bump EVERY Dallas/Dallas Metro Picture Thread?

·
Registered
943 Posts
jammin said:
Dude..whatever complex you have get over it already.
Oh please, don't even flatter yourself into thinking this is a Houston vs. Dallas thing...

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Good stuff. I don't think we hear/see as much of Texas over here as we need to. Dallas is a city that I would definitely contemplate moving to.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts