SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Jonesy55's Wales photo thread - Mountains, beaches and towns.

21811 Views 64 Replies 21 Participants Last post by  Jonesy55
Here’s some of my photos of Wales, as you can see from the map, my home in Shrewsbury is not far from the Welsh border so I often take trips there at weekends especially in the summer.

I’ve underlined the places in the photos on the map - Enjoy!

This is Powys Castle near Welshpool, just over the border. A sandstone fortress with nice gardens

The town of Dolgellau, like many towns and villages in West Wales, stone is the main building material, a very different look to the red brick that is so common in many other parts of the UK.

The small but colourful village of Aberearon, the weather was terrible this day, this is one of the hazards of visiting Wales, rainfall is high.

The small town of Fishguard – you can take a ferry from here to Rosslare in Ireland, the journey takes 2 hours.

See less See more
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
The town of Betws-y-Coed, this is one of the major tourism centres in the Snowdonia National Park, the town is full of shops selling camping gear, walking and cycling equipment etc and there are some nice cafes and restaurants.

Some general scenery photos of Snowdonia taken from the car window. These hills are small but some of the peaks reach over 1,000m, large enough to look impressive but small enough that a reasonably fit person can climb and descend any of the mountains in a day.

Lake Vrnwy, this is a large reservoir that stores water for use across central England, there are some good walks around here and fishing too, these photos were taken in Autumn, it was a foggy day.

The dam at the end of the lake

This is the beach at Nefyn on the Lleyn peninsula, the rugged mountains of Snowdonia give way to rolling hills and farmland in this remote corner of the country. There are several excellent beaches and good sailing and surfing opportunities.

I’ll be visiting other places over the summer so I’ll post any other photos that I take.

Thanks for looking, hope you liked them :)
See less See more
Beautiful pictures from Wales. It must be very cold in winter. I had a welsh friend years ago, but, I don't remember exactly what city was he from. Well, thanks for sharing those photos. ces't magnifiques !
^^ Thanks, it depends what temperatures you are used to I guess but the coastal areas of Wales are not very cold in winter, the climate is affected by the gulf stream which keeps temeratures higher than almost anywhere else in the world at the same latitude. Winters are cool and wet rather than very cold like in inland continental europe.

Even in January the average nightly low is around +4 or +5c in many coastal areas and the average daytime high is around +7 or +8c.

See less See more
Welsh landscape in stunning. I regret a lot not having gone to Snowdonia, but we were a bit busy going deep in the South. Hope to be back soon.

Nice pics, mate. Congrats.
Great photos, I am from Wales myself and you do the country proud. Some of my favourite towns are Abergavenny, Chepstow, Aberyswyth and Caernarfon.
Welsh landscape in stunning. I regret a lot not having gone to Snowdonia, but we were a bit busy going deep in the South. Hope to be back soon.

Nice pics, mate. Congrats.
Yeah, I myself mostly only got to visit South and South West Wales.

Great photos, I am from Wales myself and you do the country proud. Some of my favourite towns are Abergavenny, Chepstow, Aberyswyth and Caernarfon.
Yay Abergavenny! I LOVED IT! That was where the 9 of us stayed! Me, my gf and 7 of my friends! It was 4 guys and 5 girls. GOOD TIMES! :banana2:
Yeah, Abergavenny is a nice little place, i've got a friend from there. I'll fix the top map and post some more photos soon.

Snowdonia and the Lleyn peninsula is definitely worth a visit if you get the chance. I'm getting a decent mountain bike soon and there are lots of good centres for riding it in North Wales so i'll take my camera when I go.
excellent info about Wales, but I don't know where is it in the map of Gt. Britain. I just know Scotland is extreme north. Temperatures are not very cold as I thought in any case I prefer fresher than heat.
Now I remembered a city: it's called Swimdon .Anyone could tell me where is it please?
and what does it mean "cymru croesso" or "croeso cymru"?
Now I remembered a city: it's called Swimdon .Anyone could tell me where is it please?
I guess you mean Swindon, but it's in South West England, not Wales.

I have a friend working there, by the way.
See less See more
and what does it mean "cymru croesso" or "croeso cymru"?
Welcome to Wales. In Welsh.
This is Powys Castle near Welshpool, just over the border.
Call me a pedant but it's Powis Castle (Earl of Powis and all that). The county is Powys. All very silly I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powis_Castle
Thank you "Stifler" and "Manchester Planner" for those important informations.
The sentence "cymru croeso" was taught me a welsh person years ago and I had forgot its meaning and that person I suppose is still living in Swindon.
For most English people "Cymru croesso" is probably the only Welsh known! It's on the signs as you enter Wales.

Wales shown within the United Kingdom. Swindon is in England, at the very western tip of the River Thames (the river running towards the southeast). The other river shown, near the English-Welsh border, is the Severn.
See less See more
Call me a pedant
ok, you're a pedant! ;)

but it's Powis Castle (Earl of Powis and all that). The county is Powys. All very silly I know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powis_Castle
But a correct pedant.
Can I come to visit you ;) I am in Edinburgh.
^^ Of course, all SSC members are welcome! :D
I'll share my collection of Aberystwyth after my exams :)
^^ Yes please (and good luck! :eek:kay:)
1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.