SkyscraperCity banner

What do you think of the new Beetham London tower?

• Love It

Votes: 40 32.3%
  • Its OK

Votes: 48 38.7%
  • Hate It

Votes: 32 25.8%
  • Dont Care

Votes: 4 3.2%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 588 Posts

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Evening Standard is reporting that Beetham are planning to build a 60 plus storey residential tower at Blackfriars.
(Its a tiny article tucked away at the side of a page)

'Europes tallest residential skyscraper is being planned for London. Family owned property firm the Beetham organisation which is building towers in Manchester and Liverpool wan to erect a 60-plus storey tower south of Blackfrairs bridge. If built the tower would be one of Britains tallest, and Beetham already owns a site near the bridge. The tower will need planning permission from Lambeth council.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
I'm guessing they aren't counting Moscow as being in Europe then, Triumph Palace is 249m.

They reported that it was 215m and 70 floors before, so it sounds like it's lost some height.

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
A quick calculation:

215 / 70 = 3.0714
60 x 3.0714 = 184

The height we can expect is around 184m, maybe a little more if they include spires or rooftop elements.

chest said:
The tower will need planning permission from Lambeth council.
Oh dear. I thought this was in Southwark. It must be just within the border of Lambeth then. And we know how much Lambeth council hate tall buildings. :(

·
24,716 Posts
if 184, then the building will even lower than Turning Torso (190m) and tower 2 of Sparrow Hills (188m). Both are residential as well and already built.

·
Banned
55 Posts
Jonny 5 said:
I'm guessing they aren't counting Moscow as being in Europe then, Triumph Palace is 249m.

They reported that it was 215m and 70 floors before, so it sounds like it's lost some height.
Moscow? Triumph Palace? where does that come into things?

·
Registered
11,690 Posts
Theres an article in the FT- which I guess the ES has lifted thestorey from. Its a very vague article about Beetham plannig a 60 storey tower & that it isn't gurantied as it needs approval from Lambeth (and we all know what there like!). They then go on about the various towers planned in London etc.

Looks like a filler storey to me just to fill half a page of a paper as thersno new insights & basically just speculation.

·
Registered
4,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wjfox2002 said:
@Chest - When are we going to get another amazing photo thread from you? :)
If I could only stop drinking long enough to steady my hand and clear my blurred double vision I would love to do one....actually might go out in the next couple of weeks - with a few more cranes beginning to rise things are a bit more interesting.

The article in The FT says there are 87 towers of 20 floors or more either being built or are being planned - though they think the Beetham tower may struggle for planning permission as its Lambeth.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The site is in Southwark... come on guys, you all know how much stock to put in newspaper articles by now (i.e. none!). Wait until we submit the application and send out the official press release before you start drawing any conclusions from either of the articles.

·
Administrator
34,148 Posts
lol yes, getting the borough right is a pretty important thing too. if you want exclusives discard the mainstream press. anyone can write a stub.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
zenith said:
Noone else notice theyve missed off Birmingham !! thats bad, and theyre trying for brighton but you know !
They mentioned HCT in the FT article.

I think this tower would form a nice little cluster with the newly reclad Kings Reach Tower, Wilkinson Eyre and Kent House. Looking forward to seeing some renderoids.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Bob said:
Absolutely. We don't need another half hearted cluster here.
Its a great location for a cluster, from the rumours of the heights of the proposals it doesnt sound 'half-hearted' just as dense and tall as canary wharf was in its beginnings.

1 - 20 of 588 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.