SkyscraperCity banner

What do you think of the new Beetham London tower?

• Love It

Votes: 40 32.3%
  • Its OK

Votes: 48 38.7%
  • Hate It

Votes: 32 25.8%
  • Dont Care

Votes: 4 3.2%
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 588 Posts

·
Do A Little Dance
1,565 Posts
Is that a price for the Barbican in general or in one of the towers? Someone I know has an apartments on the fringes with less beds that they value in that range.

·
Waiting for 122
3,803 Posts
Rational Plan said:
A three bedromm aprtment can be had there for just £425,000.
..just...:D

well yeah, not bad for the view and location, could take a stroll into the city, my favourite part of London whenever I want.

·
Administrator
34,148 Posts
yeah, you can pick up great apartments there. i dont know why it isnt more in demand (the prices would be hgiher if it was) as its a great place to live and VERY central.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
While I have always been a fan of the Barbican. The Seventies futurist brutalism is an acquired taste. Like Trellick tower it is popular with people who like modern architecture of a particularly Corbusian school and therefore has limited appeal. Many people are put off by the high walls of concrete. It is an irony that the ped skyways and banks of apartments that mark it border make the Barbican seem like a modern walled city, which is appropiate considering its name. Its only when you enter deeper into the complex and the hidden gardens are revealed and the strange peace you sense does it start to gain converts. Unfortunately many visitors to the centre are just going to the arts centre in the evening, and some the more forbidding aspects of all that concrete looms over people as they try to follow the painted lines from the tube entrances to the art complex. Porbably wondering if they are about to take part in scene from Alphaville or Clockwork Orange.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
When are we going to see the design for this? This week or the week after?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Only 3 more week days left in July......

·
Waiting for 122
3,803 Posts
noooo Will, sssh.

I've learnt that thinking positive is now the only thing that works. Liverpool's EC win and London's 2012 win all proved it that this year will be a great year.

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Why has Will turned into James C.2?

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
http://www.thebeethamorganization.com/

1 Blackfriars Road, London SE1
Having acquired this prime site from Sainsburys against considerable competition, only the most ambitious of proposals will provide a worthy solution. Working with internationally-renowned, award-winning practice, Ian Simpson Architects and a full team of the very best consultants in the UK, Beetham are committed to producing their most spectacular development to date. Initial proposals will be released in July 2005 following statutory and public consultations. Our proposals for this important South Bank location will undoubtedly be noticed internationally and the development will offer unparalleled views across London’s West End, Midtown, City and beyond.
The site has just been edited and the 1 Blackfriars Road link has been moved up near the top of the list on the portfolio page so maybe the design will come out tommorrow.
:dunno:

It's not really the best time to be announcing the UKs tallest residential highrise with all the news stories about the London bombings.

Half the articles writen about it will probably be asking if it's terrorist proof. :(

·
Registered
225 Posts
With this one I thought I'd try and let it surprise you, rather than dropping hints like I did with DIFA. As before I'm submitting it then fucking off on holiday (always a good tactic!), but you'll obviously see the press release anyway. All I can say is...

Having acquired this prime site from Sainsburys against considerable competition, only the most ambitious of proposals will provide a worthy solution. Working with internationally-renowned, award-winning practice, Ian Simpson Architects and a full team of the very best consultants in the UK, Beetham are committed to producing their most spectacular development to date.
... that this is spot on. The scheme is spectacular.

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
The Barbican's a crap place to live. There's absolutely nothing to do in the City. There are no supermarkets, no proper cinemas, no shops and at weekends even the dullest suburb has more going on than the City. Even the restaurants are closed. It's also pretty ugly. The street level planning is poor and there are no parks and hardly any squares or public spaces.

·
Administrator
34,148 Posts
my only complaint is ISAL are impossible to get stuff from, compared to say... aedas who happily supply me hence i have big pics of beetham towers NOT designed by ISAL. grrrrrr.
how can you say the barbican is a crap place to live? hardly any pubilc spaces or squares? we have visited the same barbican. no proper cinemas? it has a fucking huge arts complex attached. its got its own tube station. its no duller than any other residential area.

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
Monkey said:
The Barbican's a crap place to live. There's absolutely nothing to do in the City. There are no supermarkets, no proper cinemas, no shops and at weekends even the dullest suburb has more going on than the City. Even the restaurants are closed. It's also pretty ugly. The street level planning is poor and there are no parks and hardly any squares or public spaces.
I would say that the films they show at the Barbican is proper cinema ;)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Don't forget the London Museum there too..

41 - 60 of 588 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.