Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Nihongo Luvr
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody!

Me and Ober haven't been around a lot lately, but we decided to put up a thread (just to say hello) today, and here it finally is. For those who're are not familiar with the town, here's some back-ground info:

Jyväskylä is a small inland town around 300km north of Helsinki, the Finnish capital. Jyväskylä’s municipal population is about 84’000, but only 23’000 or so actually live in the town. Here’s a tour around some of the town’s central areas, photos of which we (me & Oberleutnant) taken in the past 18 months, so you've prolly seen some of these photos already.

O = Oberleutnant’s photo
M = Moolio's photo

O

O

O

M

O

M

O

O

O

M

O

O

O

M

M

O

M

M

O

M

M

O

M

O

O

M

M

O

M

O

O

O

M

O

O

O

M

M

M

O

M

O

M

O

M

Best regards,

-Moolio and Ober

·
Nihongo Luvr
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for you comments. :)

Dompcz said:
Town with population of 23’000? In photos it looks like city of atleast 230’000 population. :)
Defining Jkl's population is a bit of a problem. 23k is basically far too conservative population count, because of the almost four times bigger municipal population. The municipality, however, is ridiculously large in terms of land area, so on the other hand the cited 84'000 people is far too much.

I guess the best answer is that Jkl has 23k people, with an adjacent 60k in the more or less immediate vicinity.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Really, this city looks much bigger than 23k or even 84k people.

BTW, outstanding pictures. You are a talented photographer. Are you using DSLR?

·
Nihongo Luvr
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Edmundo said:
BTW, outstanding pictures. You are a talented photographer. Are you using DSLR?
Thanks for your kind words, though I don't know if you noticed, but some of those were not actually mine.

I am using DSLR, yes, Canon EOS 350D kit. Great image quality, even though the lens is as cheap as they come. Once you've settled to an SLR, there's no coming back - I couldn't even think about moving back to compact cameras. :)

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I don't think I've ever actually been to Jyväskylä, should get around to it some day. Looks nice, even though I did see some of these pictures at the house already :)

Hölkyn kölkyn (Who actually says that, really?) :cheers:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Great pictures, OL and Moolio! I'm a sucker for good night shots. Jyväskylä looks like a nice relatively new town based on these pictures.

·
Positivist
2,590 Posts
Beautiful photos of a town which looks MUCH MUCH bigger than it really is! :eek:

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Nice pics.... I should go to Jyväskylä some day.. never been there :(

·
Nihongo Luvr
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
DenverDane said:
Jyväskylä looks like a nice relatively new town based on these pictures.
This is by no means unusual for smaller "cities" in Finland. While Jkl has existed maybe 200 years (dunno for certain), it started growing only after 1930s, and the growth really picked up in 50s and 60s. The problem with this is that some of the architecture in the outer-city are a veritable eye-sore, which you can witness here: http://img226.imageshack.us/img226/483/kauppakatu4hu.jpg . The good thing, however, is that some streets have this metropol-ish grit that I find very pleasing, such as here: http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/8561/urbaania4mh.jpg

Thanks for your comment.

·
Nihongo Luvr
1,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A couple of new night-shots:

Kinda cool-looking Shell station:

Excuse the rather bad image quality, Canon's kit lens doesn't like very small apertures:

Railway station:

Sleepy Tourula suburb:

Thanks for viewing folks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts