Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
48,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
KAGOSHIMA 鹿児島 | Chuocho 19 - 20 block joint Redevelopment Project 中央町19・20番街区市街地再開発 | 100m | U/C

KAGOSHIMA 鹿児島 | Kagoshima-Chuo Station East Entrance Redevelopment 鹿児島中央駅東口再開発 | 100m | Pro

information:
height: 100m
floors: 24
use: Shops / Residential
start: May 2018
complete: 2020

Kagoshima-Chuo Station, Kagoshima City, Kagoshima Prefecture
https://goo.gl/maps/MyvQvEBapSt

google streetview

·
Asian forums Supermod
In Memory of our Dea
22,592 Posts
I went there for a business trip two months ago. As the one of the most important stations in the prefecture, it looked very underwhelming and old.

Which was strange because the rest of the city is pretty nice and more updated.
Since some of the long distance trains don't come often and the station's waiting room is pretty lack luster, such a development would be great for killing time.

·
5,992 Posts
^^ How many Shinkansen are scheduled to arrive / depart from Kagoshima station every hour? I travelled through it in 2009... at the time it seemed quite modern, but it was also very quiet and underdeveloped. The station area felt kind of like a ghost town actually, which was surprising.

Agreed about the left half of the base's facade, Regent.

·
Asian forums Supermod
In Memory of our Dea
22,592 Posts
^^ How many Shinkansen are scheduled to arrive / depart from Kagoshima station every hour? I travelled through it in 2009... at the time it seemed quite modern, but it was also very quiet and underdeveloped. The station area felt kind of like a ghost town actually, which was surprising.

Agreed about the left half of the base's facade, Regent.
I made a mistake, I thought you were talking about Kagoshima station, not Kagoshima Chuo (although Ive been there too and my opinion is still the same).

There are 2 Shinkansen's per hour. but still, the waiting room is dull, and there's not much to do around the area to kill time.

BUT, I had the best Chicken nanban in a restaurant downstairs, within the station! very friendly couple that owns it and even kept track of my time schedule, advising me when the train is coming (thats how predictable and relatively few trains come through there!)

·
5,992 Posts
I made a mistake, I thought you were talking about Kagoshima station, not Kagoshima Chuo (although Ive been there too and my opinion is still the same).

There are 2 Shinkansen's per hour. but still, the waiting room is dull, and there's not much to do around the area to kill time.

BUT, I had the best Chicken nanban in a restaurant downstairs, within the station! very friendly couple that owns it and even kept track of my time schedule, advising me when the train is coming (thats how predictable and relatively few trains come through there!)
Ah sorry - I should have been clearer :)

Two trains an hour - not much traffic at all. I guess when you are at the end of the line, this is to be expected.

Hopefully this new development will bring some more life to the area then.

Also, awesome, love chicken nanban - I'll be sure to try that restaurant if I ever return to Kagoshima :)

·
Asian forums Supermod
In Memory of our Dea
22,592 Posts

Here's a picture I took of the Kagoshima-Chuo station area in March. This is right outside of the JR part, where the trams end.
Its hard to see but the station area is pretty run down

but just 15-20 min down the road on foot, near city hall, everything starts looking nice. with newer buildings, greenery, and more people

Here is the chicken nanban I had that day!
Although I have to correct myself again, looking at the way I tagged it, this was a restaurant in kagoshima station, not chug ^^;

·
Banned
1,668 Posts
Considering the tower will be residential, the redevelopment is likely more about attracting residents to revitalize the area and a retail destination for passengers, rather than a place to kill time. After all, it replaces part of the Showa retro "I!DO" shopping street with a cool roof, which is unfortunate (and doesn't even include the entire block as I previously mentioned) but is run-down and hopefully will energize the rest of it.

·
Asian forums Supermod
In Memory of our Dea
22,592 Posts
Considering the tower will be residential, the redevelopment is likely more about attracting residents to revitalize the area and a retail destination for passengers, rather than a place to kill time. .
uh, killing time and having more stores/restaurants is more or less the same.
you kill time between transfers by going to nearby businesses, waiting rooms, etc, especially given that this station doesn't have as much traffic for a major stop.

secondly as Ive mentioned. I have been here just a few months ago. Just further down the road is much more lively.

·
Asian forums Supermod
In Memory of our Dea
22,592 Posts
Yes, exactly! I remember there being a line of shops and restaurants near the terminal. It sort of looked like a beach style terrace.

Edit - found it! http://kic-update.com/en/travel/waterfronts-new-spot-dolphin-port/

When I was there, "Dolphin Fort" was quite isolated - the area around it was quite empty and under-developed.

Apologies again for going off topic here - perhaps we can move this discussion to a more appropriate thread?
just wanted to give a heads up. I've made a dedicated Kyushu thread (sorry not enough traffic for a dedicated Kagoshima one) here where we can continue discussion rather than side tracking the project

https://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=2100255

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.