SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know its not exactly related to architecture or anything but i just wanted to say how proud i am that a band of such quality are from Leeds. The kaiser chiefs are brilliant. i think its a sign of things to come. the new image of leeds, we are no longer a small northern industrial city. lets see if the south can take us seriously

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,340 Posts
jaynay said:
i know its not exactly related to architecture or anything but i just wanted to say how proud i am that a band of such quality are from Leeds. The kaiser chiefs are brilliant. i think its a sign of things to come. the new image of leeds, we are no longer a small northern industrial city. lets see if the south can take us seriously
I went to see them at Leeds Met last month and they were excellent. They're real showmen and great live. I'm also enjoying wearing my everything is brilliant in Leeds T shirt down here in Pompey, getting a few funny looks I tell thee! :)

The Cribs supported them, they're from Batley and were just as good as the Chiefs, they'll make it massive this year IMO, they've got an album out next month, I've got an advance copy in the car at the mo and I'm listening to little else, it's absolute quality. Keep an ear out for these boys.

·
Tax avoider
24,117 Posts
I'm not sure if I've ever heard any Kaiser Chiefs stuff - somebody name some of their tracks...

·
Bermondsey Boro
2,340 Posts
CharlieP said:
I'm not sure if I've ever heard any Kaiser Chiefs stuff - somebody name some of their tracks...
Oh my God was their last single, current one is Everyday I love you less and less, it entered the charts top 20 recently. They also released I predict a riot which is about a night out in Leeds! Their album name checks the Royal Armouries and old Leodensians in the lyrics!

Best way to describe them is a bit like Parklife era Blur.

·
Registered
30,479 Posts
I like the Kaiser Chief too and they're one of the most popular bands in this area at the moment, or at least among young people so I think they have potential to go far.

·
Registered
11,760 Posts
They are fun and great to listen to, and their lead singer may wel lhave it in him to write some biting satire over the course of the bands history - but for now, they're not exactly groundbreaking are they?!

·
Registered
314 Posts
THE CHIEFS are the band of the moment and are set to do what franz ferdinand did last year, two of my flat mates went to school with two of the band st marys menston, i believe!!!!!!!!

i totally agree growing up in east leeds there was the manchester and liverpool bands that were the icons of that era its now leeds turn to shine!!!! and shine we will forget the madchester era and welcome in the leeds era !!!!!!!!!! about time.. IMO :) :) :)

·
Registered
4,694 Posts
Pretty good group the Kaisers, have their album. But as AndyC has said, hardly groundbreaking! I don't think they'll do much for Leeds's image to be honest. If there was sudden surge of sucessful bands from Leeds than yes it would make Leeds more famous, but on their own, nothing.

·
Registered
314 Posts
caw 123 slight tinge of green to your response, the news about the city centre property market in manchester collapsing must still sting considering that leeds is still booming, why anyone would want to live in manc is a mystey is a filth hole, filled with cocks in fast cars giving the city centre an uneasy feel at night, no one runs the city its just a collection of large towns you banded together to appear bigger than you actually are
add this to the end of man united rule = goodbye manc down the same road as brum see ya send us a post card when you get there.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Kaiser Chiefs are nothing special. They've had some great singles but their album is forgettable. I doubt that they are suddenly going to catapult the reputation of Leed's music scene to that of manchester, you would need an original 'leeds sound' to do that and lets face it, deep down the kaisers are a poor mans blur. You need a surge of like-mided bands to create a real scene, a spark needs to be lit, and i believe that spark has been lit in sheffield. TheA band called Arctic monkeys will be the biggest band in the country within 6 months and there are a fair few bands of similar style following them. They'll make the yorkshire accent the coolest accent in the world!

www.arcticmonkeys.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
alrite then lets look at it from that point of view. yorkshire as a whole. anything to get some kind of known music scene. i'm from sheffield and theres alot of good stuff down there. i always used to go see bands and stuff at the ledmill and the boardwalk. leeds n sheff have other types of music too lets not forget, hip hop in both the cities is looking good compared to some other cities.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Just like to comment on Hip Hop in Leeds, its very big, but mainly the UK hip hop, not USA style hip hop.

Garage is where I see Leeds coming up though, I have many freinds who are all 'MC's'. Now, it does sound pathetic I know, but they are really going places, a local group from chapeltown (ls7 battlers) recently got onto BBC 1 xtra radio station, and although I dont want to state my mates names, they look to have a bright future ahead of them in the English music scene.

Also, casaloco's (or cassies) (a funky type of speed garage) is yorkshire music, it was either originated in Sheffield or Leeds, I cant quite remember.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts