Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Name: Kampala Hilton
City/Country: Kampala/Uganda
Use: Leisure
Floors: 24F
Height: 90m

More Information
John Seifert Architects to create new Hilton for Aya Investments

Hilton Hotels Corporation has signed a management agreement for a new hotel in Kampala, Uganda with Aya Investments Uganda Limited. Aya Investments has extensive interests in property and value added manufacturing and operates three modern wheat mills, a regional transportation fleet and the import and export of general commodities. The agreement, will see the creation of a 272-bedroom hotel by John Seifert Architects on a 15 acre plot of land on Nakasero Hill. The hotel is scheduled to open at the end of 2007.

Facilities will include three restaurants, two bars, a 500m2 Ballroom and 14 meeting rooms. In addition, the hotel will feature indoor and outdoor swimming pools, a spa, fitness area, tennis, squash and landscaped gardens.

Commenting on the signing, Wolfgang M. Neumann, Hilton's Area President for Europe & Africa said, "Hotel development in Kampala is accelerating thanks to the growing demand of international and domestic tourism both in and out of Uganda." The hotel, alongside the Hilton Addis Ababa in Ethiopia and the Hilton Nairobi in Kenya, will expand the group's presence in East Africa to three hotels.

The announcement comes at a time when hotel developers and investors are showing increased interest in Africa.

Recent UNTWO figures showed the continent leading the way in international tourist arrivals, with growth of 8.1%, compared with 4.5% globally. Where international hotel groups have traditionally addressed the region alongside Europe, the Middle East, or both, various groups are now looking to locate dedicated development functions in Africa itself. External investment is coming from the likes of India's Taj hotels, and the Middle East's Kingdom Hotel Investments, as well as China. Other new openings for 2007 on the continent include a Sheraton in the Gambia, a Radisson SAS in Nigeria, and a Kempinski in Djibouti.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Museveni breaks-ground for Hilton Hotel

President Yoweri Museveni has called for an end to extravagant use of land through construction of storeyed buildings. This was during the groundbreaking ceremony of the 5-star, 22-storeyed Kampala Hilton Hotel in Nakasero.

President Museveni unveiled the foundation stone and used a garden hoe to mark the start of the Multi-million dollar hotel.

He welcomed the investment by the AYA Brothers from Sudan adding that Uganda stands to reap over 10 million US dollars in revenue annually from the hotel which will employ 2,000 Ugandans.

He said that a lot of land should be under factories and hotels but is against wasteful, sprawling residential estates.

The hotel was designed by John Seifert Architects of London and will have close to 300 rooms including 6 Presidential suites, a futuristic domed lobby, escalators, indoor swimming pool, amphitheatre, a 20-metre waterfall and vast gardens.

The highlight of the event however was when President Yoweri Museveni invited Kampala Mayor Nasser Ntege Ssebagala into his vehicle and the two left for State House Nakasero

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
The Hilton is Kampala looks marvellous, it will help to grace Kampala´s skyline!
^^
It wont just grace the skyline. It will be THE landmark for Kampala, just like the Big Ben tower in London or the KICC building in neighbouring Nairobi. Its location on Nakasero hill is superb as this is one of the highest points in the city. It will only make the hotel look taller and overlook the entire city.:)

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Very nice hotel for Kampala. Anyone knows how much its going to cost to build this hotel? The Ugandan tourism sector is on a roll indeed.
I met with the Minister of Information from Uganda earlier during the year in Accra, Ghana during a conference there, a very impressive
lady indeed with a lot of vision for Uganda.

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
Very nice hotel for Kampala. Anyone knows how much its going to cost to build this hotel? The Ugandan tourism sector is on a roll indeed.
I met with the Minister of Information from Uganda earlier during the year in Accra, Ghana during a conference there, a very impressive
lady indeed with a lot of vision for Uganda.
^^
The Hotel is going to cost around US$90 million. The AYA group who are behind the project say it will be complete in only 52 weeks. Though there have been some hitches along the way in its construction. However the foundation is already complete. Hopefully, It will be ready for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in September this year. (This is apparently the main reason for the frenzy of new hotel construction here in Kampala. I think there are four more large hotels in the pipeline plus other supporting construction activities eg. the expansion of Entebbe Airport and highway improvements.)

Kulani. The minister for information is a guy. I think you meant Dr. Maggie Kigozi who is the director for the Uganda Investment Authority. She usually takes a proactive role in selling Uganda to the world.

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
Kenguy; said:
^^
The Hotel is going to cost around US$90 million. The AYA group who are behind the project say it will be complete in only 52 weeks. Though there have been some hitches along the way in its construction. However the foundation is already complete. Hopefully, It will be ready for the Commonwealth Heads of Government Meeting (CHOGM) in September this year. (This is apparently the main reason for the frenzy of new hotel construction here in Kampala. I think there are four more large hotels in the pipeline plus other supporting construction activities eg. the expansion of Entebbe Airport and highway improvements.)

Kulani. The minister for information is a guy. I think you meant Dr. Maggie Kigozi who is the director for the Uganda Investment Authority. She usually takes a proactive role in selling Uganda to the world.
wow, interesting. I am pretty sure i met a lady and she is definitely a minister, probably she may be in the public enterprises or trade and industry ministry, as we spoke at length about investment in Uganda in many sectors including telecoms. She was also very vocal against World Bank representatives at that meeting regarding their SMME initiatives that appears to be channeled through commercial banks who actually sit on the money that is supposed to be filtered down to small and medium businesses to create much needed jobs.

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
wow, interesting. I am pretty sure i met a lady and she is definitely a minister, probably she may be in the public enterprises or trade and industry ministry, as we spoke at length about investment in Uganda in many sectors including telecoms. She was also very vocal against World Bank representatives at that meeting regarding their SMME initiatives that appears to be channeled through commercial banks who actually sit on the money that is supposed to be filtered down to small and medium businesses to create much needed jobs.
^^
Now I know who you are referring to. Her name is Hon. Janat Mukwaya (minister of tourism, trade and industry.) quite a forward looking lady. She must have made quite an impact at the meeting.:) Did she propose any solution to the commercial bank problem?

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
Is it approved or U/C?

the first post says 'approved' while the title says 'U/C'.

Btw, nice building design. :eek:kay:
The hotel is U/C. I agree with you about the design. It will look stunning. especially the globe like foyer.:cheers:

·
Explore
2,864 Posts
Very impressive looking hotel. There's obviously a growing number of travellers to Uganda considering the big Protea hotel is also going up there! That regions got so much tourist potential!

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
Very impressive looking hotel. There's obviously a growing number of travellers to Uganda considering the big Protea hotel is also going up there! That regions got so much tourist potential!
^^
Uganda is one of the last frontiers when it comes to tourist potential in East Africa. Most people think of going to Kenya or Tanzania on safari but rarely think of Uganda which has the same sights as its neighbouring countries (from the snow capped Rwenzori Mountains to white water rafting down the Nile to watching mountain gorrillas in the western parks of the country.)

I guess the tourism aspect in the country is now slowly rebuilding itself to the pre 1970's level.:)

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Most Articles are saying that The Building is 22 Floors not 24 Floors.

·
Expert
21,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Hotel.

The hotel was built in preparation for the CHOGM, and since the event is now over it is my guess, that the hotel must be completed. Can anyone dig up any pictures?​

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
The Hotel.

The hotel was built in preparation for the CHOGM, and since the event is now over it is my guess, that the hotel must be completed. Can anyone dig up any pictures?​
Sorry to break this to you but the hotel project just stopped at its foundation.(this is after demolishing and relocating the Uganda Broadcasting Corporation headquarters). Im not sure if it was political or the AYA company simply went broke. The project just went silent. I guess its one of the big disappointments this year. This hotel and a second major one in the CBD were not built.

·
Registered
40,884 Posts
Sorry to break this to you but the hotel project just stopped at its foundation.(this is after demolishing and relocating the Uganda Broadcasting Corporation headquarters). Im not sure if it was political or the AYA company simply went broke. The project just went silent. I guess its one of the big disappointments this year. This hotel and a second major one in the CBD were not built.
Damn, it would have graced the skyline. Do you think that they will take up the work again? please keep us updated.

·
WhizKidd
90 Posts
I'm really happy for Kampala... when i lived there, projects like this were unthinkable... it jus goes to show that in Africa if we dream big, the sky is the limit...

·
Registered
12,485 Posts
I'm really happy for Kampala... when i lived there, projects like this were unthinkable... it jus goes to show that in Africa if we dream big, the sky is the limit...
This was just one project. I've seen a couple of nice office blocks sprout on the eastern side of the city and more projects are constantly coming up. I just cant find any websites or links with which to update this thread with the new projects.

kampala was one of those places you would have thought would never have a single tower worth mentioning. Most were built in the late 90's and 2000's.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts