Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
almost one fourth of the city is under cantonment area. prime location wasted with barren ground, old unused quarters, bushes and so on. there should be public pressure to acquire these land by district authorities from the defence department offering equal or more land elsewhere in the district. kannur city area is already suffocating having very less public space. beaches, parks and malls are full on weekends.not to mention the swarm during festival days.:bash:

·
Aslesh Rajan K
10,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
First of all this cantonment board should be merged with the corporation. Then the military will be able to put these restrictions only on their own buildings. Now they believes they own the whole area including civilian buildings and roads.

·
Aslesh Rajan K
10,002 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Looks like now their major demand is only to see the alignment and documents. I heard govt is offering up to 8 lakhs for one cent in Thalassery muncipality. So most probably this protest will also die down.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
almost one fourth of the city is under cantonment area. prime location wasted with barren ground, old unused quarters, bushes and so on. there should be public pressure to acquire these land by district authorities from the defence department offering equal or more land elsewhere in the district. kannur city area is already suffocating having very less public space. beaches, parks and malls are full on weekends.not to mention the swarm during festival days.
How can a district authority or state administration take over land from the defense? Have some sense man.

Two vast area of tract of land in Kannur city is occupied by defense and Kerala police. How is it going to be taken over by anybody? Only central ministry can shift the defense base and Kerala government police base.

As regards to cantonment area the maximum we can do is to disband cantonment board. By this we can only liberate a few civilian houses lying on the eastern side of the road. The western side of the road, except Kerala government guest house, light house and very few civilian houses, all other land is largely defense land. Including the Kota Maidan. The Kannur fort is under archaeological department. Another thing is the district hospital.

And what do you intend to build there after evicting defense? Another south bazar? Or commercial buildings, malls and multiplexes?

I have got only one thing to say. Just imagine a Kannur bereft of the greenery and opens spaces that lie in this area. The only unique and beautiful area in Kannur is this space under the defense. If you want to destroy it also go ahead. Fine. And do not leave the police maidan also. Fill everything with buildings.

·
Banned
15 Posts
How can a district authority or state administration take over land from the defense? Have some sense man.

Two vast area of tract of land in Kannur city is occupied by defense and Kerala police. How is it going to be taken over by anybody? Only central ministry can shift the defense base and Kerala government police base.

As regards to cantonment area the maximum we can do is to disband cantonment board. By this we can only liberate a few civilian houses lying on the eastern side of the road. The western side of the road, except Kerala government guest house, light house and very few civilian houses, all other land is largely defense land. Including the Kota Maidan. The Kannur fort is under archaeological department. Another thing is the district hospital.

And what do you intend to build there after evicting defense? Another south bazar? Or commercial buildings, malls and multiplexes?

I have got only one thing to say. Just imagine a Kannur bereft of the greenery and opens spaces that lie in this area. The only unique and beautiful area in Kannur is this space under the defense. If you want to destroy it also go ahead. Fine. And do not leave the police maidan also. Fill everything with buildings.
Like +1

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Kaala pettu ennu kelkkumbol thanne Kayaredukkanam.

A project of this magnitude and huge ecological impact definitely warrants more openness, transparency and public awareness.

First, what is the alignment? What is the draught and width of the artificial canals? What is the draught and width needed for a 500 ton vessel? What about the environmental impact? Has any study been conducted? If conducted what is the report? Has the project got clearance from environment ministry? What if saline water seeps in to the sweet water wells through the area the artificial canal passes? What if the land is rendered uncultivable due to salinity of water? How much land is to be acquired? What is the number of people going to be displaced? What is the cost of the project? Who is going to finance it? What is its purpose? If the purpose is identified, has any study been done on its feasibility and viabilit? What if the purpose is not met with?

There are a thousand other questions. And every citizen of Kerala has got a right to know it, before the government goes ahead with the project. I am sure nobody here who discusses it, knows any of the above facts.

The central government has not so far got the courage to touch the river linking projects all across India, envisaged a decade ago. Then how is Kerala government going to do it?

Looks like now their major demand is only to see the alignment and documents. I heard govt is offering up to 8 lakhs for one cent in Thalassery muncipality. So most probably this protest will also die down.

·
Registered
785 Posts
No doubt. 100% true. Cantonment area is the most beautiful, clean, green and calm area in the city. Area near the military hospital, way to fort, old bunglows etc will mesmerize us.

·
Registered
483 Posts
the thing is now even they don't believe that these projects can be stopped.'these protests probably will end up in vain,but we have to protest anyway' were the words of very own sursesh keezhattur at their combined protest meeting last month.now all the govt. need to do is to follow a considerative process and give good compensation.

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Can Kolathunadu tell me the purpose of this project so that we can discuss further. If you do not know even the purpose, do you know the alignment, length, width and draught of the proposed river links? Have you got any idea what sort of vessels are planned to go through this? Do you at least know the cost of this project and who is financing it? Or how many people are going to be displaced? Are you sure it will not increase the salinity in our land and other water resources? If you know any of these please publish it here.

I do not know any of these. So I am skeptical of this project. If you are euphoric about it without knowing anything, it is like the "Pottakannantey Manga Eriyal"

·
Registered
483 Posts
this is good.need more local programmes like these to ensure public participation in the tourism sector.already there is decent demand for home stays /local food.village home stays can play good part in promoting theyyam, and establishing it as a cultural tourism icon in northern kerala. unlike kathakali it is much more lucid and animated.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts