SkyscraperCity banner

121 - 140 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Last week I visited a phenomenal restaurant in Kannur called Ondhens. This place was suggested by a few foodies. I got into this place at around 12 45 in the afternoon expecting less crowd but I was in for a huge disappointment.The place was chock a block with Men, Ladies and Children. Every seat was fought for and won with a mini battle of wits. I saw a lot of outsiders ( tourists) who surprising were here on somebody's recommendation enjoying the local fare. I realized that this place is a foody's paradise. I would not recommend this place for people who wants ambiance and air conditioning. Both will be missed here of these kind of people. This place is for food lovers.I have still not mastered the art of winning a seat in this place. After hoplessly failing to get a seat, a lady felt bad and offered me the seat she was vacating and I thanked her profusely for that and quickly glided into the seat which was ogled at by at least 3 people. I had to sit there even before the table was cleaned. Everyone seems to do the same thing.

Within minutes my table was cleaned and a clean, fresh banana leaf opened for me out of no where and It was followed by a glass of water ( there is choice of rice water ( Kanji vellam) I chose water.Before I could decide what I wanted I supplier ( waiter) dropped in the rice and the porial and koottu. Another man came right after this with the curries and I chose the local coconut infused fish curry which was excellent. He insisted on me having their sambhar to which I politely said no but he insisted and said try it . I did not want to play with his feeling and said yes. HE poured the steaming sambhar. I decided to keep away from it. The fish curry was excellent. I was wolving it down when another waiter came around with huge platter of choices of supper hot plates of Sea Mussesl, River Mussels, Squids, Fish fries ( Kinf fish), Prawn fries and Omlettes. I chose the fish fry, prawn fries and Omlette. The fish fry was top notch crispy on the outside, thick but soft fish which was true heaven, Prawns were again brilliant. The local masala spices were top notch. It added to the taste and flavour of the fish and prawns.The fish and prawns were super fresh. The Omlette was good top.None of it was oily.The wolving continued and I really wanted a second round of fish curry and I was waiting. Out of respect for the waiter who served sambhar I decided to have sambhar and rice and Lo what a surprise !!!!! the sambhar was excellent. I thanked the guy who insisted on serving the sambhar. It was the perfect sambhar. Again the spices and the flavouring were perfect to the tee. Slowly my stomach was beginning to protesting the sudden rush of food. I was feeling bad that I could not go for another round of rice and fish curry. I cleaned my banana leaf and it almost looked almost fresh as it was before the food was served. The waiter was waiting with the rice and all I could do was a nonchalant wave which he understood and sailed off to the next table. The rush is so much here the the little niceties cannot be given nor expected. I respected the management and the staff who were able to take in the crowd and send them out soon without being rude. No one was scorning nor were they smiling but they all seem to know and were dead confident that their food will the needful.I came out with smile inspite of the fact that they served local rice which is normally not liked by the rest fo India but there was no protests on that front either. For all that I wolfed down my bill was just Rs 260. Now that made my heart dance.

·
Registered
467 Posts
x-posting

Relishing Kannur
Apart from a mind-boggling variety of seafood, this coastal town in North Kerala fills you with generous helpings of history and culture

Google for grub in Kannur, a prosperous town in northern Kerala, and you’ll get many hits on a lunch-only canteen called Odhen’s, not to mention rapturous rants about the most unbelievably amazing fish meals. So considering that Kannur will soon get an airport and become the next great tourist hotspot of ‘God’s Own Country’ (and a gateway to northern Kerala)I decide to go and sample that internet-viral seafood. I happened to be visiting the coast so it was a short drive along the lush and seemingly endless Muzhappilangad Beach, also known as the drive-in beach since people like to take their cars onto it and race all the way up to the city limits.

I arrive in a town that, at first glance, looks like one big shopping mall. As it is too early for lunch, I start with a late breakfast at the renowned MRA Bakery (Station Road, next to Kannur junction), often suggested as the second-best option if one misses the legendary lunch at Odhen’s. Unlike Odhen’s, it is open from morning to evening and turns out to be a huge air-conditioned complex with a bakery and sweet shop taking up the ground floor, and a restaurant upstairs. So not exactly your standard neighbourhood cake shop.

Typically for morning meals in Kerala, there is mulakittath (₹130), a violently chilli-red but unexpectedly smooth fish curry served with appam (₹10), and the steamed tube-shaped rice flour puttu (₹13). I must stop myself from also ordering a bowl of avial, the distinctive coconut milk-drenched Kerala veggie stew, as I plan to demolish a lavish lunch just a few hours later. But I do gorge on their baklava — the best I’ve tasted outside Turkey (which is the home of baklava): Flaky buttery bite-sized pastries soaked in honey syrup and topped with shredded pistachios. I buy a boxful to carry home...

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/blink/takeaway/food-trail-relishing-kannur/article24408043.ece

121 - 140 of 155 Posts