SkyscraperCity banner

641 - 660 of 681 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Even Kochi doesn't have an IMAX screen, and Bangalore has only like two, if I remember correctly. Anyhow, we have our own set of needs -- expectation of which isn't all that bad.
My point is not Imax in Kannur. Trying to point out that other cities are on swift mode when comes to meeting urban needs. Kannur still dont have a good shopping mall.

Can expect imax in kochi as some big mall projects are lined up in Kochi like Prestige and Lulu.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Is there an indecent mall too? Just joking.
It is not being indecent or inadequate mall. Capitol is the only 'okay' mall in kannur with good ambience. Unfortunately it has no facility to afford a multiplex. There are many buildings in Kannur town which were marketed as 'mall'. Kannur mall, mall of emad, royal oak (seems the first mall in kannur town) etc. In other words these malls are Kundalatha, and Kannur is still looking for an Indulekha.. 😊

Hopefully, Thana Square will at least have the standard of Calicut RP Mall, which I think is the best mall in Calicut when comes to facilities. It also has good footfalls.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My point is not Imax in Kannur. Trying to point out that other cities are on swift mode when comes to meeting urban needs. Kannur still dont have a good shopping mall.

Can expect imax in kochi as some big mall projects are lined up in Kochi like Prestige and Lulu.
It is not being indecent or inadequate mall. Capitol is the only 'okay' mall in kannur with good ambience. Unfortunately it has no facility to afford a multiplex. There are many buildings in Kannur town which were marketed as 'mall'. Kannur mall, mall of emad, royal oak (seems the first mall in kannur town) etc. In other words these malls are Kundalatha, and Kannur is still looking for an Indulekha.. 😊

Hopefully, Thana Square will at least have the standard of Calicut RP Mall, which I think is the best mall in Calicut when comes to facilities. It also has good footfalls.

These are private projects. Urban needs in Kochi are different from Urban needs in Kannur. It would be quite delusional to compare Kannur with Kochi. Compared to even Calicut, Kannur has much to catch up -- which can only happen organically. Surely, Kannur is one of the biggest urban centres in Kerala, but let us not get carried away. Since these are essentially private investments, they tend to come on arithmetic. If we don't have these right now, I would say that there are pretty good reasons for that.

On Thana Square, the project was actually poised to complete either in 2012 or 2014 -- if my memory serves me right. They even revised the render of the mall because it shot the deadline by so long. Even now, the project is moving on a snail pace. I would be surprised if it is anything like a full fledged mall. It would be quite long before Kannur gets a full fledged mall; and as far as I know, there are no projects underway right now except for Secura -- whose details are obscure.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Malls will die a natural death in the times to come. Every where. Even in Kochi, the so called metro city of Kerala.

The process is almost complete in US and European countries. The closure has already started in real metros of India like Mumbai and Bangalore for lack of patronage. I am not saying the buildings are demolished. But many outlets in them have closed shops as they have become unviable and unsustainable.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts
Why should I go to a mall to buy a pair of trousers or a shirt or shoes or grocery or meat and fish or lipsticks and nail polish or to watch a movie or to get a haircut or to buy anything. There are many stand alone stores of the same brands in most of the cities where you can buy the same thing at much cheaper rate. Only thing is there should be sufficient parking facility.

And who is going to take a truck and buy everything under the sun at a time under a single roof called a mall?

·
Registered
457 Posts

Correction : RP is not the best mall in Calicut, it's Hilite Mall. Be it the footfalls, Shoping optiond, design, Foodcourt Hilte Mall stands apart and when the second phase complete, it will be one the best malls in the state. When it comes to RP the only advantage is the multiplex.

Hilite Mall>>Focus Mall >>RP Mall.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Correction : RP is not the best mall in Calicut, it's Hilite Mall. Be it the footfalls, Shoping optiond, design, Foodcourt Hilte Mall stands apart and when the second phase complete, it will be one the best malls in the state. When it comes to RP the only advantage is the multiplex.

Hilite Mall>>Focus Mall >>RP Mall.
I talked about present. When comes to future there is Lulu too.

·
Aslesh Rajan K
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #652
What, a non-Greens hypermarket in Kannur? :O I was hoping Big Bazaar at Thana Square would have that honour.
There is metro hypermarket near Plaza, real hypermarket in Thavakkara bus stand and orange hypermarket in G Mall.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Central hypermarket is opened @ Kannur central mall of emed, Thavakkara
These malls are just shopping centres. Cannot be called as 'mall'. They are trying to fool people by providing substandard facilities and limited number of shops in a small space. There is only one mall in Kannur. It is Capitol Mall, even though not a an excellent one.

·
Registered
283 Posts
This 10 storey thin building in Kannur Caltex junction is the most dangerous construction I have seen in Kerala. The construction works were stopped some 10 years ago. This incomplete and unsfae building is can cause a severe threat for nearby buildings and peoples. Authorities should indulge into the matter as early as possible. IMG_20190506_141115.jpg

·
Aslesh Rajan K
9,993 Posts
Discussion Starter #655
^^ I guess it can be a case of corruption as there is some standard floor area ratio to get building permit. That said I don't think that building is unsafe just because of that. FAR limit is to reduce urban density and not due to any safety concerns. Unless they used some low grade building materials it is not going to fall down just because it's narrow. Reinforced concrete can hold such structures without issues. Just because they have stopped construction and didn't paint it doesn't mean it is dangerous. As far I see the overall structure is completed and it is more like tapering from bottom to top.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Malls will die a natural death in the times to come. Every where. Even in Kochi, the so called metro city of Kerala.

The process is almost complete in US and European countries. The closure has already started in real metros of India like Mumbai and Bangalore for lack of patronage. I am not saying the buildings are demolished. But many outlets in them have closed shops as they have become unviable and unsustainable.
Kochi - Oberon is OFF
The Esplanade - First marine drive mall is still funtioning, locatin advtange
Madras : The Spencer Plaaza is supposedly a mall. Now with newer Pheenix and Express Mall, SPenser is deserted by Brands.
Bangalore; no malls shut.

K--T Sir, no one deserted mall , in ability to attract players to draw foot falls. Kannur will hopefully get a HD mall sooner or later, It deserves one.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There is metro hypermarket near Plaza, real hypermarket in Thavakkara bus stand and orange hypermarket in G Mall.
Of course, that is on a lighter note. There is also a Metro at Talap and SN Park. Even then, except for Greens all of them perform poorly -- I'm sure you know. I was hoping that Big Bazaar would be the disruptive player that can, more or less, take on Greens.

·
Registered
457 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
641 - 660 of 681 Posts