Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Arch(Struct) Engineer
Toasted Ravioli
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

The arena orginally looked just like reunion arena in Dallas, then the roof collapsed and they added the superstructure to support the roof.

The arena is owned by the city government and the building has been replaced by the sprint center for most events, also owned by the city. There has been talks of demolishing the arena for years but there has been one guy step forward recently that said he will remodel the arena if the city will just give it to him. The arena still hosts American Royal events (orginization that hosts the worlds largest BBQ contest, as well as a rodeo, equestrian events, and such).

While Kemper said he has great love and nostalgia for the arena, named for his grandfather, he’s adamant that it’s outlived its useful life.

Steve Foutch, managing director of Foutch Brothers, says otherwise. He says there’s enough property to build the new American Royal building and still save the arena.

“Our presentation is all about co-existing,” Foutch said in a telephone interview. “They can still have their new arena. We coexist and do the sports and let them concentrate on equestrian and agriculture.”

Foutch said an independent analyst has confirmed that Kemper can be renovated for $21 million, and he can finance that privately if the city will give him the building.

“We’ve met with the mayor and city manager and we’ve gotten nothing but strong support,” he said.
http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/article743341.html

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
The Big 12 basketball tournament moves around every 2 or 3 years anyways.

·
Registered
3,537 Posts
Don't the women still play in Kemper? I meant that its kept around as a viable alternate arena to host both tournaments. The Big XII basketball tourney doesn't move around anymore.

·
Registered
2,709 Posts
Don't the women still play in Kemper? I meant that its kept around as a viable alternate arena to host both tournaments. The Big XII basketball tourney doesn't move around anymore.
For as long as I can remember, KC has hosted the women's tournament at Municipal Auditorium, a few blocks west of the Sprint Center.

Kemper was too old for the men, too big for the women, and in a bad part of town for either.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
For as long as I can remember, KC has hosted the women's tournament at Municipal Auditorium, a few blocks west of the Sprint Center.

Kemper was too old for the men, too big for the women, and in a bad part of town for either.
Is that still standing?

·
Arch(Struct) Engineer
Toasted Ravioli
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is that still standing?
Yes, It's an amazing building and shouldn't ever be torn down, it also has a convention hall below the court and a theater in the building too. The architecture and history alone should save it but it still gets used often so its still viable and is in the heart of downtown next to the hotels and the major convention center.

They have roller derby and college basketball (NAIA, UMKC) still played there as well as other events. some of the area high schools use it for their graduation ceremonies for example too.

·
Arch(Struct) Engineer
Toasted Ravioli
1,856 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Proposal would turn Kemper Arena into youth sports complex

Imagine Kemper Arena with a new second floor at balcony level. Twelve basketball courts and space for a dozen more sports. Fitness rooms and the area’s largest indoor running track. One thousand kids per night.

That’s the vision that developer Steve Foutch outlined Thursday to preserve Kemper by turning it into a local and regional youth sports complex. It would be unique in the country and could become a model for saving mothballed city arenas, he said.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article1168522.html#storylink=cpy

·
Registered
9,544 Posts
Trivia: On May 23, 1999, the Kemper Arena hosted the WWF pay-per-view titled "Over the Edge", where WWE Superstar Owen Hart fell approximately 78 feet (24 meters) to his death from the rafters after attempting to descend from them while in his superhero gimmick of The Blue Blazer.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts

That's a beautiful building, don't ever let them tear it down. This is what the Buffalo Memorial Auditorium would look like if it was never expanded in the 70's and was taken care of. Kemper? Meh. I'm sure a parking lot could be built there.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Is that still standing?
I remember going to Kemper Arena and Municipal Auditorium for FFA Conventions 20 years ago. Memorial Auditorium is one of the the most attractive buildings I've ever seen. As good an art deco building as has ever been built.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts