SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there's been a lot of drama sorrounding KC in here lately, but here are a set of photos from my visit today. they're not all in order, so keep in mind i'm skipping around different locations throughout the thread.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
I visited KC back in 1980, for my uncles wedding. I was only 8 so I don't remember much but KC seems like a great midwestern city.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Everything's Lookin Up In Kansas City!

Now I know why they say that

I believe I can say that this is the best KC pic thread I have ever seen! WOW!These pics are just wonderful! Thank you so much skate342 for shareing these with us here. You are a wonderful photographer

·
Banned
892 Posts
Great pics! Downtown KC is one of those places that doesn't look as big from afar, but once you get down there, you realize just how many buildings it actually has.

·
lagom
1,537 Posts
i never see much about the other KC. Is there anything going on there or anything to see? Do the two cities work together or is the one on the KS side left behind?

·
Registered
258 Posts
thanks for the photos. i remember that the missouri part of the city has some interesting old neighborhoods with a great assortment of victorian and arts and crafts era houses.

·
Registered
299 Posts
*Sigh* How I miss my college friends in KC!!

Anyways, in the third to last picture, are all of those cranes the new Nelson Museum expansion? Are they still there? I thought it was nearing completion but I could be wrong...and btw, that expansion is badass, it was under construction when I was living there and would assume its almost done. Looks great in recent pics I've seen.

Great pics as well! Can't wait to see what you guys get for the Sprint Arena, NHL or NBA.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Great pictures!

I recently drove through Downtown during rush hour and had a blast, I got to see how much a lot has changed. I haven't been down there since the completion of the h&R Block Tower and the renovation of the President Hotel. I remember that the president hotel used to look very vacant and run down, but now, driving by the entrance, and seeing the Hilton name on it was pretty cool because there was a guy that looked like a valet at the door. Made the street look even more impressive along with the base of the Power and Light Tower.

It'll take a while to get Downtown back to what it used to be, but after talking to my mother, i learned it's starting to look somewhat like it used to.

Right now, Downtown has 16,170 people (as of late 2005) in it's 2.9 square miles. I haven't been around Downtown much after rush hour, but I'd like to see people roaming the streets.

Downtown has a lot of projects going on, a 22-27 floor condo tower is proposed for north of the H&R Block tower that would hold 220 (or more) condos. An 18 floor condo tower is proposed for north of the Power and Light Tower, and a 17 floor condo tower is proposed for just southwest of the future Performing Arts Center. (if approved, it has other phases that will build more condo tower(s))
There is still more renovations going on. Downtown is certainly looking better than it did 5 years ago.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Absolut355 said:
*Sigh* How I miss my college friends in KC!!

Anyways, in the third to last picture, are all of those cranes the new Nelson Museum expansion? Are they still there? I thought it was nearing completion but I could be wrong...and btw, that expansion is badass, it was under construction when I was living there and would assume its almost done. Looks great in recent pics I've seen.

Great pics as well! Can't wait to see what you guys get for the Sprint Arena, NHL or NBA.

That is not the Nelson expansion, that is the IRS building being built near the Liberty Memorial. It is pretty large at something like 1.4 million square feet, but it's all pretty short.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If any of you didn't catch that, he was joking about the vacant part. Many of the buildings he shows are not residential, most of the smaller buildings (3-4 floors) in his first photos are all residential. There isn't all that much to get normal residents on the streets *yet*. The main attractions getting Downtown residents out on the streets are concerts, walking/biking, parks, the bars in the Crossroads, going to/from work, etc... When the Power and Light District opens, even more of the 16,170 people living downtown will be out on the streets.

Also, as a minor correction, in his third to last picture, the cranes are the Federal Reserve project, it's a 14 floor tower in the middle of a huge open lot. The IRS complex is in a low area west of the building in the left side of the next to last picture.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts