SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The winner of the competition was announced today.
Renders will be unveil soon.

First Prize
Number 2 Tenderer : Fei & Cheng Associates R.O.C
Joint tenderer : Reiser+Umemoto RUR Architecture PC/ Jesse Reiser U.S.A

Second Prize
Number 3 Tenderer : Asymptote Architecture/Lise Anne Couture U.S.A
Joint Tenderer: Artech Architects/ Kris Yao R.O.C

Third Prize
Number 1 Tenderer : Ricky liu & Associates Architects+Planners R.O.C
Joint Tenderer : Takenaka Corporation/ Masahiro Morita Japan

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
nice! hope this will be a world class design

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ther is Kaohsiung Port and Cruise Service Center! The same feeling as the Taipei pop music center, Reiser Umemoto touch!!

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I think they use chimney as the image for their design. You can see the shape of the project looks like chimney on the crusine vessel. However, it looks similar as Taipei pop music centre, it works from this idea. Use pedestal as service centre (maybe shopping centre) and put an iconic shaped massing item on it. It works for me.

Sorry for poor english.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes I like this kind of chimney too. Big windows, with a view to the boat are pretty good too. The building is easily identifiable. With the pop music center and the port and cruise center, these can be a new Reiser-Umemoto Taiwanese style.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
it looks somewhat alien-like. i do like the wavy forms. fits the theme of a structure for a marine environment. i wish the complex was bigger tho. that dock area still looks too empty. they need to fill it with some kind of hotel and office complex consisting of several towers and a convention center. it's a prime space.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow that thing's designed like an airport... last time I checked the cruise center in LA is just a piece of concrete going into the harbor.

·
Don Pedro-Lorenzo
916 Posts
oh non! disappointed...i prefer another project (kalifese may know what i'm talking about..). but this one is not the worst.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
ya this one isnt my favorite either. but it could've been worse! i like their taipei pop music center better.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts

·
Still Comin' Out Strong
15,813 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
I like the second design too. The more I see the first design the less I like it. I don't know why. It's just looks like a oddly shaped metal sculpture that should be on a lesser scale rather than a building.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I like the second design too. The more I see the first design the less I like it. I don't know why. It's just looks like a oddly shaped metal sculpture that should be on a lesser scale rather than a building.
same with me! i read the inspiration is supposed to be bent metal square rods or something but why would that be a good inspiration? when you bend square metal rods you get dents, distortions and buckling like you see in that rendering. it looks imperfect and extremely unattractive! i feel like i want to take a hammer and hammer those distortions and buckling out.

their taipei pop music center looks better because the building isnt as twisted and distorted.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like the 2nd design better as well.. but I will take the winning design! Pretty radical for Taiwan. Just came back from Kaohsiung and I have to say its not the nicest city in Asia by any means... I haven't been there in 25 years and I have heard many people said its much better than before, but honestly I think it still has huge room for improvement..

Taiwan is proposing some pretty modern infrastructure projects, I just hope the private sector steps up and come up with more modern designs... Go Taiwan go!!!

·
Registered
150 Posts
i definitely prefer kris yao's design as well, however, the tender did state that they want a distinct national landmark which people will associate when they think of kaohsiung, and for that purpose, the first design makes more sense. Yao's design resembles designs i've seen in barcelona, san diego, and cape town, while this weird chimney will be recognizeable to everyone.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
i live in san diego. what buildings here do you think resembles kris yao's design cuz i dont see any?

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
more renderings from the kaohsiung port competition website. the design reminds me of bilbao guggenheim too because of the abstractness.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
THUMBS UP! LOVE IT!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Kaohsiung International Travel Transport Centre 高雄港國際旅運中心

First Prize International Competition 國際競圖 首獎

First Prize 首獎:Reiser+Umemoto RUR 事務所/宗邁

1 - 20 of 72 Posts